United States
Local time: 04:03
English to Chinese
+ ...
让他们感到满足的价格就是适合于他们的价格 Feb 20, 2016

jyuan_us wrote:

做Proofreading每千字20元RMB。另一說翻譯費是千字50元。

他們很滿足,其中一個很驕傲地說每天都能收到活。

别说这人,连著名翻译家都说每千字60元的报酬算是极高也不为过。不过,此翻译家一会儿说,“以每千字60元算,一个月可以获得一万多的稿费,与社会平均水平比,文学翻译的报酬算是极高也不为过”;一会儿又说,他翻译某经典名著,稿酬相当于千字1200元。真不知该信他哪句。

80后译者李继宏“天价”稿酬引争议
http://www.tac-online.org.cn/ch/tran/2013-11/11/content_6447929.htm

文学翻译报酬奇高? 译者李继宏的说法引发翻译界激烈争论
http://ent.sina.com.cn/x/2006-10-27/10191301404.html

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Torture Feb 20, 2016

jyuan_us wrote:

有一個翻譯做一個100多單詞的測試,花了5小時,依然沒通過。她給我看了那個翻譯公司提供的的標準譯文,確實比她花5小時作出的稿好很多。

此人也许进入了她不该涉足的领域。做一百多单词测试居然花5小时,即使通过也无意义,因为即使给她项目做,她也仍然会很吃力。

Sihua Yang
Sihua Yang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 17:03
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
说得对 Feb 21, 2016

ysun wrote:

jyuan_us wrote:

有一個翻譯做一個100多單詞的測試,花了5小時,依然沒通過。她給我看了那個翻譯公司提供的的標準譯文,確實比她花5小時作出的稿好很多。

此人也许进入了她不该涉足的领域。做一百多单词测试居然花5小时,即使通过也无意义,因为即使给她项目做,她也仍然会很吃力。

这种情况,显然很吃力。不挑自己擅长的领域试译,无非是浪费时间。精力、时间不少花,可能还做不好。

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
It depends Feb 23, 2016

Sihua Yang wrote:

你们春节期间会接活吗?

正月十五,这春节算是过完了。想必你过了个轻松愉快的春节。你这一问,引发了不少议论。其中有些(包括我的)议论似乎还有点跑题,不过大方向还算正确。 北美的情况与国内略有不同。我们这里过春节气氛远不如国内那样浓厚。所以,我觉得 Rita 说得有道理: “As I am based in North America, unfortunately CNY doesn't mean any days off for me. Quite the contrary. I do tend to avoid working on 年初一 but when the price is right, and I have the time to do it, more than likely I'll work.”

遇到好的项目而且有时间,不妨做一做。回想我大学毕业刚进厂工作时,春节期间在车间里加班是拿双倍工资的,后来调到机关工作就与其无缘了。

我们这里昨夜晴空万里,月亮还真圆真亮。但今夜却是阴天且下雨,真如苏轼所述:“人有悲欢离合,月有阴晴圆缺,此事古难全”。

Sihua Yang
Sihua Yang  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
再次感谢 Feb 23, 2016

ysun wrote:

Sihua Yang wrote:

你们春节期间会接活吗?

正月十五,这春节算是过完了。想必你过了个轻松愉快的春节。你这一问,引发了不少议论。其中有些(包括我的)议论似乎还有点跑题,不过大方向还算正确。 北美的情况与国内略有不同。我们这里过春节气氛远不如国内那样浓厚。所以,我觉得 Rita 说得有道理: “As I am based in North America, unfortunately CNY doesn't mean any days off for me. Quite the contrary. I do tend to avoid working on 年初一 but when the price is right, and I have the time to do it, more than likely I'll work.”

遇到好的项目而且有时间,不妨做一做。回想我大学毕业刚进厂工作时,春节期间在车间里加班是拿双倍工资的,后来调到机关工作就与其无缘了。

我们这里昨夜晴空万里,月亮还真圆真亮。但今夜却是阴天且下雨,真如苏轼所述:“人有悲欢离合,月有阴晴圆缺,此事古难全”。

呵呵,我初六就回来了。好在这段时间活也不算多。虽然有些跑题,却也是和翻译息息相关的话题,不介意。再次感谢大家的热情回复,估计此贴可以完美终结了。

coolfool
coolfool
China
Chinese to English
Perhaps Convention Involved? - For Discussion Only Feb 27, 2016

"The present invention discloses a method",在逻辑上是有问题的,因为 It is the applicant, not the present invention, who discloses a method。但是,中文专利翻成英文,几乎都会用这个句型。...

His name escapes me. [= I can't remember his name]
Nothing escapes her. = Nothing escapes her notice. [= She remembers everything.]

It suddenly hit [= occurred to] me that I was doing something wrong. [= I suddenly realized that I was doing something wrong]
When you meet him, the first thing that hits you [= the first thing that you notice] is his air of confidence.
The smell hit me [= I noticed the smell] as soon as I opened the door.

It suddenly struck me [= I realized suddenly] that I would never see her again.
It strikes me [= I realize] that there is a larger issue at stake.
An awful thought has just struck me.
What struck me was/I was struck by [= I noticed] their enthusiasm for the work.

The present invention discloses a method may otherwise and arguably be seen as A method of the present invention is disclosed (herein by me/us).

coolfool
coolfool
China
Chinese to English
Similar Chinese Sentences Found on Website Feb 29, 2016

coolfool wrote:

"The present invention discloses a method",在逻辑上是有问题的,因为 It is the applicant, not the present invention, who discloses a method。但是,中文专利翻成英文,几乎都会用这个句型。...

Nothing escapes her. = Nothing escapes her notice. [= She remembers everything.]

It suddenly hit [= occurred to] me that I was doing something wrong. [= I suddenly realized that I was doing something wrong]
When you meet him, the first thing that hits you [= the first thing that you notice] is his air of confidence.

The present invention discloses a method may otherwise and arguably be seen as A method of the present invention is disclosed (herein by me/us).

http://www.ftchinese.com/story/001066371?full=y

本文通过考察美国最大的4家上市页岩油企业披露的财务数据,计算后发现...

本文研判认为...

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Better to use “herein” Mar 1, 2016

I think it is better to use “Disclosed herein is a method ...” instead of using “The present invention discloses a method ..." because “herein” means “in the specification of the patent application or publication” for the invention.

The pattern of “Disclosed herein is a method for ...” is widely used in patent applications or publications. It is also fine to use “Herein disclosed is a method …”, but personally, I prefer to use “Disclosed herein is a meth
... See more
I think it is better to use “Disclosed herein is a method ...” instead of using “The present invention discloses a method ..." because “herein” means “in the specification of the patent application or publication” for the invention.

The pattern of “Disclosed herein is a method for ...” is widely used in patent applications or publications. It is also fine to use “Herein disclosed is a method …”, but personally, I prefer to use “Disclosed herein is a method …”

The example at the following link shows the relationship among herein, the invention and the methods of the present invention:

http://www.google.com/patents/US8304584

The relationship between the the invention and the methods of the present invention:
1. Field of the Invention
This invention relates generally to the field of chemical reactions. More specifically, the invention relates to methods of making alkylene glycols incorporating high shear mixing.

The relationship between herein and the invention:
ABSTRACT
Herein disclosed is a method of hydrating an alkylene oxide. In an embodiment, the method comprises (a) introducing an alkylene oxide into water to form a first stream; (b) flowing the first stream through a high shear device to produce a second stream; and (c) contacting the second stream with a catalyst in a reactor to hydrate the alkylene oxide and form an alkylene glycol.

In the above abstract, it is also acceptable to use “A method of hydrating an alkaline oxide is disclosed herein", but you will see the difference if you compare with this sentence: Disclosed herein is a method of hydrating an alkaline oxide, comprising (a) introducing an alkylene oxide into water to form a first stream; (b) flowing the first stream through a high shear device to produce a second stream; and (c) contacting the second stream with a catalyst in a reactor to hydrate the alkylene oxide and form an alkylene glycol.

Those people who often use the pattern of “本发明公开了一种…的方法” don’t quite understand the relationship between herein, the invention and a method of the present invention, and they are logically incorrect.

[Edited at 2016-03-01 13:24 GMT]
Collapse

coolfool
coolfool
China
Chinese to English
Where is Utopia? Mar 1, 2016

The world we are living in is by no means perfect. The choices at hand seem to be:

1. Accept the imperfect world as she is and make the best out of the worst;
2. Negotiate one's own way to a never-never land;
3. Decline the jobs done by those whom one considers beneath him;
4. Make the clothes to measure for oneself not for one's clients; and
5. ...

I am certain almost all of us have one and one only choice, that is item 1. Why? The answer is sim
... See more
The world we are living in is by no means perfect. The choices at hand seem to be:

1. Accept the imperfect world as she is and make the best out of the worst;
2. Negotiate one's own way to a never-never land;
3. Decline the jobs done by those whom one considers beneath him;
4. Make the clothes to measure for oneself not for one's clients; and
5. ...

I am certain almost all of us have one and one only choice, that is item 1. Why? The answer is simple. Because we don't have a mighty daddy. And that is Why with a capital W we are here.
Collapse

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Context Mar 1, 2016

ysun wrote:

I agree. Some sentence structures are just more formal than others, and are more suitable in a legal context, where patent filings certainly belong.

Incidentally, I've seen people's profiles that go "I'm gonna (do this)", "I wanna (do that)"    :D

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
"Convention Involved?" Mar 3, 2016

coolfool wrote:

What kind of convention is involved herein? Does it have anything to do with patent applications/publications?

coolfool
coolfool
China
Chinese to English
Logically There Is No Problem, If I Am Not All Wet. Mar 4, 2016

"The present invention discloses a method",在逻辑上是有问题的,因为 It is the applicant, not the present invention, who discloses a method。

Likewise,
His name escapes me.在逻辑上是有问题的,因为It is I, not the his name, who fail to remember his name. Unluckily, native English speakers as often as not say and write so. It simply means I can’t remember his name.

Let us consult dictionary, if I am allowed.
disclose: vt. allow (sth.) to be seen, esp. by uncovering it; or to make known (sth. heretofore kept secret)
The present invention discloses a method may perhaps be rewritten as The present invention allows a method to be seen. or The present invention makes a method known.
In the same way,
escape: vt. fail to be noticed or remembered by (sb.)
His name escapes me. can also be rephrased as His name fails to be noticed by me.

This may not be a logical problem, I guess, but the usage in English as well as in Chinese. The examples as I provide them:
本文通过考察美国最大的4家上市页岩油企业披露的财务数据,计算后发现...
本文研判认为...
在逻辑上是有问题的,因为不是本文,而是本文作者...因为本文是不会考察和计算的,更不会研判。但是,我们都知道,这个本文就是本文作者的意思。

Whether our similar Chinese sentences can be traced back to the golden olden days or the pattern was imported, or exported, sometime somewhere somehow by somebody, I am not any the wiser.

The sentences in question found in dictionaries and patent applications can be pigeon-holed but the raison d’être beneath the surface is one and the same.

Am I all at sea with the issue? More than likely. I am all eyes then.

[修改时间: 2016-03-04 16:47 GMT]
Collapse

David Lin
David Lin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:03
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
New thread required Mar 4, 2016

Hi coolfool and ysun,

The posts about "invention, convention and disclosure" do not seem to have anything to do with the title of this thread "大家春节期间会接活吗?“. I wonder whether you could open a new thread for your interesting discussion that is related more to patent translation than whether to take jobs during CNY.

Just a friendly advice.

Regards.

David

[Edited at 2016-03-04 16:12 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

大家春节期间会接活吗?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »