Estelle Demontrond-Box
Estelle Demontrond-Box  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 05:09
English to French
+ ...
Jul 12, 2010

Hi everyone,

Could anybody share liks for a template for quotes (translating services)? Thank you

Estelle

Ahmad Abdul-hafeeZ
Ahmad Abdul-hafeeZ  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 21:09
Member (2009)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Quote Jul 12, 2010

Dear Sir/Madam (or the name if found),

Reference to your post on (i.e Proz.com), I would like to quote for the posted job.

For more information about me please refer to my profile on (i.e. Proz.com).

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards

xxx

Lamyaa Aboumoussa

Brian Young
Brian Young  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:09
Danish to English
Another option Jul 12, 2010

With reference to your job posting (number on Proz.com)
My rates are EURO x.xx per word, but I need to see the document before making a final commitment.
I guarantee a fluent and accurate translation, delivered before your deadline.
I expect payment no later that 30 days after receipt of my invoice.
Attached is my CV, and you can see my profile at Proz, xxxxxx
Sincerely
xxx

[Edited at 2010-07-13 02:28 GMT]

Estelle Demontrond-Box
Australia
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More precisely Jul 13, 2010

Thank you for your suggestions.
I was not however referring to the quotes for Proz jobs but for general quotes to direct clients, hence the request for a template (probably word format). I just want to know which side my details go, which side the client's, details needed on the form etc...
I should have been more precise, sorry!

Estelle Demontrond-Box
Australia
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jul 13, 2010

Brian Young wrote:

My rates are EURO x.xx per word, but I need to see the document before making a final commitment.
Sincerely
xxx

[Edited at 2010-07-13 02:28 GMT]

Thank you Brian, this is very useful!

Estelle

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:09
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
+1 for Brian Jul 13, 2010

Brian Young wrote:

Yes, always tell the client in the first paragraph where you're coming from (i.e. what you're talking about). I myself even include the URL of the job posting. Use words that communicate to the client unambiguously that you're responding to an advertised job, like Brian did.

I use the term "usual rate" instead of just "rate" when I want to tell clients what my rate is. This leaves the door open to both parties for negotiation (downward or upward) when the sample arrives.

Brian did not use the word "quote" in his mail, which is good. A quote is a binding contract. What you're offering when you haven't seen the text or when you're still trying to negotiate with the client, is not a quote but an estimate. Use the word "estimate", and don't use the word "quote".

A quote (and ideally also an estimate) should specify the exact work to be done, the exact price for it and the exact date and time that it will be delivered. The quote should also state for how long the quote is valid (i.e. how long the client has to accept or reject the quote before the quote is automatically regarded as having been rejected and no longer valid).

I find that deadlines mentioned by clients in their initial mails are often deliberately flexible. The client might say "deadline is 7 days from now" and you might think "I can do the job in 5 days", but what if the client thinks "a translator can do this in 2 days" and decides to wait 4 days before sending you the job?

Make sure the quote or estimate does not promise the client delivery before the deadline no matter how late he sends the file -- state specifically by what date and time you need to receive the files and the go-ahead to ensure delivery before the deadline.

Personally I would not use the word "guarantee" as Brian had used it (i.e. as a meaningless adjective). Be careful of words that imply promises which can be used against you legally. In some countries, saying "I guarantee XYZ" has no legal force, but in some other countries, providing a guarantee can mean that the onus to prove client satisfaction is now on you, and that the you forfeit your payment if the client is unhappy.

Yes. If you don't include your payment terms in the quote, the client may assume that you're happy with his payment terms, whatever that may be.

Personally I would not include a CV unless the client had asked for it, but that is just my personal preference. I do, however, include extracts from my CV or brochure in the estimate, to coax the client into a more positive view of me as a translator.

Sincerely
xxx

Even if your full contact details are in the CV or on your ProZ.com profile, also give your full contact details in the e-mail, in your signature. It gives a good impression, and if the client prints out your mail, he won't have to go fish for your contact details if he needs to contact you. And if the decision whose quote to accept is a close call, the one who is easiest to contact may well be the one to get the job.

[Edited at 2010-07-13 08:42 GMT]

Gabriel Roca

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
-1 at Ahmad Jul 13, 2010

Ahmad abdul-hafeeZ wrote:
Dear Sir/Madam (or the name if found),
Reference to your post on (i.e Proz.com), I would like to quote for the posted job.
For more information about me please refer to my profile on (i.e. Proz.com).
Looking forward to hearing from you soon.
Regards
xxx

A quote means saying "I will do X work for Y price by Z deadline". Saying "I want to work for you, so please contact me" is not a quote.

The "quote" you provide, Ahmad, does not mention your price, which is an integral part of the quote. One might be able to say that the ProZ.com jobs post will contain a description of the job and will state the deadline, but it is also better to include such a description and such important information in the quote mail as well.

Verónica Girbau (She/Her)

Ahmad Abdul-hafeeZ
Ahmad Abdul-hafeeZ  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 21:09
Member (2009)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Thanks Samuel Jul 13, 2010

Dear Samuel,

I really appreciate your feedback.

Ahmad.

Estelle Demontrond-Box
Australia
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jul 13, 2010

Samuel Murray wrote:

Brian Young wrote:

Yes, always tell the client in the first paragraph where you're coming from (i.e. what you're talking about). I myself even include the URL of the job posting. Use words that communicate to the client unambiguously that you're responding to an advertised job, like Brian did.

I use the term "usual rate" instead of just "rate" when I want to tell clients what my rate is. This leaves the door open to both parties for negotiation (downward or upward) when the sample arrives.

Brian did not use the word "quote" in his mail, which is good. A quote is a binding contract. What you're offering when you haven't seen the text or when you're still trying to negotiate with the client, is not a quote but an estimate. Use the word "estimate", and don't use the word "quote".

A quote (and ideally also an estimate) should specify the exact work to be done, the exact price for it and the exact date and time that it will be delivered. The quote should also state for how long the quote is valid (i.e. how long the client has to accept or reject the quote before the quote is automatically regarded as having been rejected and no longer valid).

I find that deadlines mentioned by clients in their initial mails are often deliberately flexible. The client might say "deadline is 7 days from now" and you might think "I can do the job in 5 days", but what if the client thinks "a translator can do this in 2 days" and decides to wait 4 days before sending you the job?

Make sure the quote or estimate does not promise the client delivery before the deadline no matter how late he sends the file -- state specifically by what date and time you need to receive the files and the go-ahead to ensure delivery before the deadline.

Personally I would not use the word "guarantee" as Brian had used it (i.e. as a meaningless adjective). Be careful of words that imply promises which can be used against you legally. In some countries, saying "I guarantee XYZ" has no legal force, but in some other countries, providing a guarantee can mean that the onus to prove client satisfaction is now on you, and that the you forfeit your payment if the client is unhappy.

Yes. If you don't include your payment terms in the quote, the client may assume that you're happy with his payment terms, whatever that may be.

Personally I would not include a CV unless the client had asked for it, but that is just my personal preference. I do, however, include extracts from my CV or brochure in the estimate, to coax the client into a more positive view of me as a translator.

Sincerely
xxx

Even if your full contact details are in the CV or on your ProZ.com profile, also give your full contact details in the e-mail, in your signature. It gives a good impression, and if the client prints out your mail, he won't have to go fish for your contact details if he needs to contact you. And if the decision whose quote to accept is a close call, the one who is easiest to contact may well be the one to get the job.

[Edited at 2010-07-13 08:42 GMT]

This is such valuable information. Thank you for sharing!
Estelle

Estelle Demontrond-Box
Australia
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Link to templates Jul 13, 2010

See link below for free downloads
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/CT010144216.aspx#ai:TC101877386|

Might help!

Estelle

Brian Young
Brian Young  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:09
Danish to English
Samuel's comments well taken Jul 13, 2010

Thanks for the good input Samuel.
1, "Usual rate" is a good idea. I generally prefer to see the real document, as there is a huge difference between translating 5000 words of free flowing text, and 5000 words in tables or spreadsheets.
2. I often give a quote, but ONLY after seeing the document on my own computer. Sometimes it just seems easier to take into consideration not only word count, but also other parameters of the document, and then just say "I'll do it for EURO xx".
... See more
Thanks for the good input Samuel.
1, "Usual rate" is a good idea. I generally prefer to see the real document, as there is a huge difference between translating 5000 words of free flowing text, and 5000 words in tables or spreadsheets.
2. I often give a quote, but ONLY after seeing the document on my own computer. Sometimes it just seems easier to take into consideration not only word count, but also other parameters of the document, and then just say "I'll do it for EURO xx".
3. I did forget to mention, as Samuel points out, that I usually say I can deliver by a dealine only if I receive the document by MY deadline. Also, it is probably not good to even agree to a deadline until you see the document.

I do not want to get into negotiations or price wars, so I try to make that clear from the start. I want a certain amount, by a certain date. I am not hungry, and if outsourcers want to get cheaper rates, or pay after 60 or 90 days, then they can find someone else.
Sometimes I get no response to my response, but when I do get a response it means that the business conditions have been accepted, and then it is just a matter of seeing the document, and confirming price and delivery. I always deliver on time, even if it means staying up all night. So I expect payment on time as well.

[Edited at 2010-07-13 15:51 GMT]
Collapse

Aude Sylvain
Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
amended invoice template Jul 14, 2010

Estelle Demontrond-Box wrote:

Might help!

Estelle

Hi Estelle,

If this is the kind of templates you had in mind, I think most invoice templates would fit, provided you change the heading to 'quote' or 'estimate', as the case may be, and, if you send such document before you see the source text, add the few mentions Samuel emphasized in his earlier post (in particular reserves as to the deadline/time needed for completion and applicable rates).

You may find a number of invoice templates by googling "template invoice translator". I also found this thread (I guess you did too) that gives a couple of links: http://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/87592-invoice_template.html

You might also have a look at templates provided with invoicing/accounting programmes (most of which offer a free trial version). I don't think these templates can be used freely, still it will give you some inputs as to what info should appear on the quote.

Another source - but I am sure there are many more - is the ProZ invoicing tool, since I saw you are a member. https://www.proz.com/invoice/try
I never tried to use it with that purposes but I assume this is possible.
This section also provides a few templates for download: https://www.proz.com/invoice?sp_mode=settings&sp_submode=invoice_templates

Aude

Alvisspeaking
Alvisspeaking
Japan
Local time: 03:09
Chinese to English
+ ...
Thanks for sharing Dec 28, 2015

Aude Sylvain wrote:

Estelle Demontrond-Box wrote:

Might help!

Estelle

Hi Estelle,

If this is the kind of templates you had in mind, I think most invoice templates would fit, provided you change the heading to 'quote' or 'estimate', as the case may be, and, if you send such document before you see the source text, add the few mentions Samuel emphasized in his earlier post (in particular reserves as to the deadline/time needed for completion and applicable rates).

You may find a number of invoice templates by googling "template invoice translator". I also found this thread (I guess you did too) that gives a couple of links: http://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/87592-invoice_template.html

You might also have a look at templates provided with invoicing/accounting programmes (most of which offer a free trial version). I don't think these templates can be used freely, still it will give you some inputs as to what info should appear on the quote.

Another source - but I am sure there are many more - is the ProZ invoicing tool, since I saw you are a member. https://www.proz.com/invoice/try
I never tried to use it with that purposes but I assume this is possible.
This section also provides a few templates for download: https://www.proz.com/invoice?sp_mode=settings&sp_submode=invoice_templates

Aude

Hi there, I just wanted to say thank you for sharing the info with us! I found the invoice templates on Proz.com very useful! I didn't know they existed before.

KHALDUN ALQAYSI
KHALDUN ALQAYSI
United Arab Emirates
Local time: 22:09
English to Arabic
+ ...
Thanks May 3, 2017

Thank you for sharing this information, it is useful

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Template for quote

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »