Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Complaint about recently delivered technical translation task!
Thread poster: Clarisa Moraña
DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
So, what it turns out? Apr 2, 2017

A joke? Spam? A joke spam?

Tracey Sweeney
Tracey Sweeney  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:15
Spanish to English
Got it too Apr 2, 2017

I also received it today and scrolled down to the bottom of the message, where there is an image of a monkey in glasses with a moustache and "April Fool's". I can see no other explanation than this clown has got our addresses via Proz.

[Edited at 2017-04-02 18:07 GMT]

Marie Lauzon
Marie Lauzon  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:15
English to French
Please do not delete the thread, as this is useful info for others who received the email Apr 2, 2017

Not funny at all. In fact, it induced some anxiety for me.

Can I suggest that the person responsible for this bad, bad idea send a follow-up email to all the recipients to explain and put their mind at ease?

And um, perhaps refrain from doing this again?

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
nothing to do with Proz as far as I know Apr 2, 2017

Two translator friends of mine received it in France, both not registered with Proz and not working with English. I had to explain them that it was a "joke" , not a very good one anyway.

Dorothée Engel
Dorothée Engel  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
French to German
+ ...
I got it on the 2nd, too! Apr 2, 2017

I wish you a week free of jokes of this kind!

MartaFS
MartaFS
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:15
English to Spanish
got this too Apr 2, 2017

Hi,

Who can see the fun?

A week before April the first, I got an email in German from someone with a different name than the one mentioned but from the same Latvian agency. I don't understand a word of German and was very surprised Googletranslate seemed to translate the whole email fine (I wondered at that point if it had been translated into German by Googletranslate). The email said they wanted to use my translation services. The rates they paid meant I could not pos
... See more
Hi,

Who can see the fun?

A week before April the first, I got an email in German from someone with a different name than the one mentioned but from the same Latvian agency. I don't understand a word of German and was very surprised Googletranslate seemed to translate the whole email fine (I wondered at that point if it had been translated into German by Googletranslate). The email said they wanted to use my translation services. The rates they paid meant I could not possibly afford to work for them and the whole thing smelled a bit fishy. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and sent a reply explaining I was sorry but could not afford accepting those rates and spelling I did not authorise them to put me on their books.

After that, indeed on the 1st, I got the unfunny email about a bad translation I never did, with an attachment...

I agree though, I don't think it comes from someone who has pulled the email addresses in mass from Proz somehow because they wrote to me at an email address that is different to the one I have listed in my Proz profile. There are only two ways they could have found my address (not on linkedin, not on Facebook, not on most social media to avoid wasting my time...). I wonder how this has happened.

Marta

[Edited at 2017-04-02 22:27 GMT]
Collapse

Sönke Jessen
Sönke Jessen
English to German
Cease and Desist Order Apr 3, 2017

My reaction was to contact the spammer via his ProZ directory entry and to declare that if this defamation should be continued or repeated I will obtain a cease and desist order and reserve the right to sue for damages if these false allegations should enter the public domain.

@ProZ: I expect you to thoroughly investigate this issue and take appropriate measures against this member!

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Re: "@ProZ: I expect you to thoroughly investigate this issue..." Apr 3, 2017

Sönke Jessen wrote:

My reaction was to contact the spammer via his ProZ directory entry and to declare...

@ProZ: I expect you to thoroughly investigate this issue and take appropriate measures against this member!

Can anybody confirm that this has been received through ProZ.com?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Complaint about recently delivered technical translation task!

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »