Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38] >
Ask me anything about subtitling
Thread poster: Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:32
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Mar 25, 2015

Ana Guimaraes wrote:

Hi,
I have a question about subtitling rates in the USA. Does anyone know how much translators get paid in US dollars? I mean, a junior translator rate to a senior one.
Thanks
Ana Carla

Dear Ana,

I apologize for the long delay.

From the information I've gathered, rates in the USA go from $5.00 per minute for junior work, from $10.00 per minute for senior work and up to $4.00 per subtitle for professional work (=feature movies and shows).

Ana Carla Guimarães
Ana Carla Guimarães  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 04:32
English to Portuguese
Don´t apologize... Mar 25, 2015

Max,
Please, don´t apologize for the delay. I am sure we all appreciate the fact you took the time to answer these questions for us. Apparently, these numbers are still the same since 2013.
Thank you so much for confirming with your colleagues!
Ana

Yaotl Altan

Andriy Bublikov
Andriy Bublikov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 19:32
French to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Here are same links about subtitling rates Mar 25, 2015

Ana Guimarães wrote:

Hi,
I have a question about subtitling rates in the USA. Does anyone know how much translators get paid in US dollars? I mean, a junior translator rate to a senior one.
Thanks
Ana Carla

http://www.proz.com/forum/subtitling/52756-[subtitling_rates]_per_minute_rates.html

http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/271439-subtitling_rates.html

http://www.translatorscafe.com/cafe/MegaBBS/forumthread381.htm?start=1

http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/227905-what_is_a_reasonable_rate_for_translating_subtitles.html

http://www.proz.com/forum/subtitling/255043-advice_on_subtitling_rates.html

https://www.google.ru/search?q=subtitling%20rates%20per%20minute%20site:www.proz.com&newwindow=1&biw=1464&bih=899&sa=X&ei=lh0TVbyjLYTOygOHxoGQAg&ved=0CCoQrQIoBDAA

Ivona McCormick
Ivona McCormick
United States
Local time: 12:32
English to Polish
+ ...
Mac and PC based dongle Apr 10, 2015

Hi Max,

I wrote to you privately, but also posting here - maybe someone else has similar issue.

I am switching from PC to a Mac. The company I am working with will send me a dongle, but it is PC based... So my question is - should I just get MS Office for Mac and this will do it, or would I need to get a virtual Windows environment?

I am new to this (Mac) so not sure what this all means, but heard about Parallels, or simply installing Windows on a partiti
... See more
Hi Max,

I wrote to you privately, but also posting here - maybe someone else has similar issue.

I am switching from PC to a Mac. The company I am working with will send me a dongle, but it is PC based... So my question is - should I just get MS Office for Mac and this will do it, or would I need to get a virtual Windows environment?

I am new to this (Mac) so not sure what this all means, but heard about Parallels, or simply installing Windows on a partition of a Mac disc. Which option would be better so I don't have any issues? Is one better than the other (Parallels vs. installing windows on a disc) - Also heard I may have to reboot the computer every time I need to switch between systems. Is this true?

I would greatly appreciate any advice you could give me.
Collapse

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Apr 10, 2015

Ivona wrote:

Hi Max,

I am new to this (Mac) so not sure what this all means, but heard about Parallels, or simply installing Windows on a partition of a Mac disc. Which option would be better so I don't have any issues? Is one better than the other (Parallels vs. installing windows on a disc) - Also heard I may have to reboot the computer every time I need to switch between systems. Is this true?

I would greatly appreciate any advice you could give me.

Hi Ivona,

I have no experience working on Mac, so I suggest you contact the software's development team and ask them this same question.

Ivona McCormick
Ivona McCormick
United States
English to Polish
+ ...
using parallels for subtitling Apr 16, 2015

so I got my macbook pro! love it so far... but have a question about parallels. I will need to work in virtual pc for one of the companies as their GTS is PC specific.

I bought the ms office for mac so have word, but when i go to virtual PC I don't have word there... do I need additional word for virtual PC? if not, how do I use mac word in the virtual PC part of the computer? or how do I save it to virtual pc?

i am so new to this, so i apologize if these questions don'
... See more
so I got my macbook pro! love it so far... but have a question about parallels. I will need to work in virtual pc for one of the companies as their GTS is PC specific.

I bought the ms office for mac so have word, but when i go to virtual PC I don't have word there... do I need additional word for virtual PC? if not, how do I use mac word in the virtual PC part of the computer? or how do I save it to virtual pc?

i am so new to this, so i apologize if these questions don't make sense or are too trivial.
Collapse

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- Apr 17, 2015

Ivona wrote:

i am so new to this, so i apologize if these questions don't make sense or are too trivial.

Hi Ivona,

Unfortunately, I don't have experience using the virtual PC, so I can't answer this. Additionally, your question seems to be not related to subtitling, so I recommend that you post it in a dedicated subforum.

Ivona McCormick
Ivona McCormick
United States
English to Polish
+ ...
Thanks Max Apr 18, 2015

I will actually be using parallels for one of the clients I translate subtitles for. Their software GTS is PC based, so I need to work in parallels. I posted here in hopes someone who works with the same software sees it and can help.

Akhila Phadnis
Akhila Phadnis
India
French to English
+ ...
ASCII coding? May 3, 2015

Max, first of all bolshoi spacibo for starting this off!

I've been looking for subtitling help for a bit and this thread is fantastic!

I know this might be a really basic question, but I wanted to ask why clients want subtitles ASCII coded? What does this entail?

Thanks again!

Akhila

Akhila Phadnis
Akhila Phadnis
India
French to English
+ ...
Ivona -parallels May 3, 2015

Hey Ivona,

I use a MacBook pro and for a while I was using Parallels to be able to use Trados and MemoQ. This was for a few months between 2013 and 14 and what I found was that Parallels essentially partitions your computer off into TWO computers. So when you install Windows (any version) on the Parallel partition you need to download the Windows Office Suite onto it afresh. You can drag and drop SOME files from the Mac partition to the Windows, but not, I think applications.
... See more
Hey Ivona,

I use a MacBook pro and for a while I was using Parallels to be able to use Trados and MemoQ. This was for a few months between 2013 and 14 and what I found was that Parallels essentially partitions your computer off into TWO computers. So when you install Windows (any version) on the Parallel partition you need to download the Windows Office Suite onto it afresh. You can drag and drop SOME files from the Mac partition to the Windows, but not, I think applications.

I hope someone with more recent experience of this can help you, but for the time being I would say yes, you need to download a separate version of Word - your Mac programs are essentially inaccesible from virtual PC.

Hope this helps!
Collapse

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- May 3, 2015

Aphadnis wrote:

Max, first of all bolshoi spacibo for starting this off!

I've been looking for subtitling help for a bit and this thread is fantastic!

I know this might be a really basic question, but I wanted to ask why clients want subtitles ASCII coded? What does this entail?

Thanks again!

Akhila

Hi Akhila,

Thank you for the kind words.

In my experience, not many clients require the ASCII encoding. I think it is fair to say that Unicode UTF-8 is the most used format, as it correctly encodes characters and symbols of nearly every single existing language.

Chances are, some of your clients require ASCII because the software they use does not support Unicode.

Yaotl Altan

Andriy Bublikov
Andriy Bublikov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 19:32
French to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
ASCII coding May 4, 2015

Aphadnis wrote:

Thanks again!

Akhila

ASCII coding
Have you tried aegisub?
No problems with aegisub ASCII coding using aegisub.

Letizia S.
Letizia S.
Italy
Local time: 18:32
French to Italian
+ ...
italian symbols and characters May 5, 2015

Hi,
I like this topic!
I am italian and I am not a subtitler, I did it one time from french to italian because my boyfiriend wanted to watch an episode of a new american series (already translated in french), and considering that I was a student with a lot of free time and my french is better than my poor english, I tried! I found it very long, like frustrating, because even if my mind immediatly find the translation, it needs time to write it down... But I really loved subtitling... See more
Hi,
I like this topic!
I am italian and I am not a subtitler, I did it one time from french to italian because my boyfiriend wanted to watch an episode of a new american series (already translated in french), and considering that I was a student with a lot of free time and my french is better than my poor english, I tried! I found it very long, like frustrating, because even if my mind immediatly find the translation, it needs time to write it down... But I really loved subtitling
However...
My question is: I read somewhere in italian subtitlers'sites that it is better to avoid symbols like "è", the italian thirt person of to be, and to replace it with e' (e+apostrophe), and the same can be said for other characters with accent marks: à, ò, ù, ì become a', o', u', i': WHY? It seems a scaring mistake

Thanks

Letizia

PS: please feel free to correct my mistakes
Collapse

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
- May 5, 2015

Letizia S. wrote:

Hi,
I like this topic!
I am italian and I am not a subtitler, I did it one time from french to italian because my boyfiriend wanted to watch an episode of a new american series (already translated in french), and considering that I was a student with a lot of free time and my french is better than my poor english, I tried! I found it very long, like frustrating, because even if my mind immediatly find the translation, it needs time to write it down... But I really loved subtitling
However...
My question is: I read somewhere in italian subtitlers'sites that it is better to avoid symbols like "è", the italian thirt person of to be, and to replace it with e' (e+apostrophe), and the same can be said for other characters with accent marks: à, ò, ù, ì become a', o', u', i': WHY? It seems a scaring mistake

Thanks

Letizia

Hi Letizia,

Some encodings don't support diacritics, so substituting the grave accent for the apostrophe is an easy way to ensure your translations won't turn into gibberish on the viewer's screen. It works well for amateurs — if you don't know how to encode your subs in a proper manner, so that the target audience can read them without a hitch, you can go with this approach.

In professional subtitling, however, this practice is considered unacceptable.

Quick tip: UTF-8 is usually your best bet when it comes to encodings.

[Edited at 2015-05-05 11:49 GMT]

Yaotl Altan

Monica Paolillo
Monica Paolillo
Italy
Local time: 18:32
English to Italian
+ ...
That's not true May 5, 2015

Hi Letizia,

it's absolutely not true that in Italian professional subtitling you need to replace accents with apostrophes. Maybe your source is one of those fansubbing sites. Professional subtitling is something different and grammar mistakes are not allowed.

Hope that helps.

Letizia S. wrote:

Hi,
I like this topic!
However...

Thanks

Letizia

Yaotl Altan

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ask me anything about subtitling

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »