What is Spot Check Quality Control?
Thread poster: Si Skool
Si Skool
Si Skool
English to Thai
+ ...
Mar 28, 2017

Hi all,

I am new to subtitling and recently I was offered to do a spot check QC for subtitles. Could anyone please clarify to me what should be checked apart from the correctness of the translation? Do I need to check if the timing are appropriate, sound quality, image quality and other technical stuff as well?

Thank you

jbjb
jbjb  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 18:18
Estonian to English
+ ...
Spot check Mar 29, 2017

You are never expected to check any technical stuff because you will be working with a very low res copy of the video file.
Just check the correctness of the translation and if the subtitles appear at the right time.
Spot check usually means you review a few minutes at the beginning, a few minutes in the middle and a few at the end - and if there are no major problems, you assume that the rest of the file is OK as well.

S.J
S.J  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:18
English to Arabic
+ ...
Netflix Mar 29, 2017

Is it with Netflix?

Jacqueline Sieben
Jacqueline Sieben  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:18
Dutch to English
+ ...
Yes, Netflix Mar 29, 2017

I have been doing quite a few Spot QCs of Netflix content - lots of sitcoms, cartoons and a couple of films too. It's boring, does not pay well ($ 4.50 per episode), but I needed the additional income at the time.

[Edited at 2017-03-29 18:17 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is Spot Check Quality Control?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »