Website localisation (TMSs/Connectors etc.)
Thread poster: David Howard
David Howard
David Howard  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:58
French to English
+ ...
Oct 29, 2019

Hi all,

I'd like to know more about website localisation and, more specifically, which software solutions enable you to retrieve/localise the content of a website without having to download the files or copy and paste the text. I've looked up solutions like Smartling, but it looks like you have to get a seperate subscription for each website you localise. It's a service I'd like to provide for direct clients.

I have very little knowledge on how agencies do this so any i
... See more
Hi all,

I'd like to know more about website localisation and, more specifically, which software solutions enable you to retrieve/localise the content of a website without having to download the files or copy and paste the text. I've looked up solutions like Smartling, but it looks like you have to get a seperate subscription for each website you localise. It's a service I'd like to provide for direct clients.

I have very little knowledge on how agencies do this so any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

David
Collapse

Wieland Haselbauer
Wieland Haselbauer  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:58
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I recommend Lingotek Oct 29, 2019

Hello David
indeed, there are just a few tools available .

I can recommend the Lingotek plugin for Wordpress sites (I work with it at the end of the supply chain, i.e. as a translator).
It allows export and import from/to websites in XLIFF format and / or online translation /MT translation /revision 1+2.
All these roles can be delegated to teleworkers with different access data.

I prefer offline work for the translation (enables me to use any XLIFF c
... See more
Hello David
indeed, there are just a few tools available .

I can recommend the Lingotek plugin for Wordpress sites (I work with it at the end of the supply chain, i.e. as a translator).
It allows export and import from/to websites in XLIFF format and / or online translation /MT translation /revision 1+2.
All these roles can be delegated to teleworkers with different access data.

I prefer offline work for the translation (enables me to use any XLIFF capable CAT system) but I do the revision online in their platform.
I cannot tell how much rework the client has to do afterwards, but they come back regularly, so it must be working.

regards

Wieland Haselbauer

Kubus Translations

mailto: [email protected]

Local business hours 9:00 - 18:00 hrs

Phone: 0049 341 9904417
eFax: 0049 322 29967167
Web: www.kubus-translations.com

Profile: www.proz.com/profile/2500
XING: www.xing.com/profile/wieland_haselbauer
Collapse

David Howard
David Howard  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:58
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 29, 2019

Thanks Wieland, I've come across Lingotek before but never used it.

I've been digging around a little and it seems that, for large corporations/clients at least, they can use platforms like Smartling, Phrase or Memsource (I've found about a dozen) to push/pull content. It's then up to them to give the translator access to the system so they can localise the strings (in-context in many cases). Is that right?

Anyone have any experience of these platforms?

Tha
... See more
Thanks Wieland, I've come across Lingotek before but never used it.

I've been digging around a little and it seems that, for large corporations/clients at least, they can use platforms like Smartling, Phrase or Memsource (I've found about a dozen) to push/pull content. It's then up to them to give the translator access to the system so they can localise the strings (in-context in many cases). Is that right?

Anyone have any experience of these platforms?

Thanks,
David

[Edited at 2019-10-30 12:06 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Website localisation (TMSs/Connectors etc.)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »