memoQ video preview for subtitles (srt files)
Thread poster: Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:11
English to Italian
Dec 2, 2020

Hi there

I want to share my experience with this wonderful memoQ 9 addendum

I tested it translating subtitles for a webinar and I found it easy and productive, so I can confirm that the memoQ video preview is a must have

the main reason is that you can check in real-time (the video looping on a 2nd monitor) that the text flows well in the available space/time

and you can check that each line of text doesn't go on multiple lines, overlapping the
... See more
Hi there

I want to share my experience with this wonderful memoQ 9 addendum

I tested it translating subtitles for a webinar and I found it easy and productive, so I can confirm that the memoQ video preview is a must have

the main reason is that you can check in real-time (the video looping on a 2nd monitor) that the text flows well in the available space/time

and you can check that each line of text doesn't go on multiple lines, overlapping the possible background picture, that is also important 

memoQ actually advises you if the text is too long during the translation (on the video itself) and when you export, but the math is really useless as you see the translated text in real time, so you can better judge if the text is OK for the space, so that the sentence is easy to read and the listener doesn't have to come back and replay

and another gem is that you can join multiple lines to have a whole paragraph, that is way easier to work on, and the exported file will clearly have the same format of the source: i.e. the timeline above and the text below

and the fact you can join multiple lines was essential in my job, because the speaker stumbled quite often, mumbled her words, or emitted words like a machine-gun sometimes, to become slow as a sloth just after, so it was impossible stay within the math limits (and translating literally as well), but I simply joined multiple lines to build the whole sentence, then I moved full stop tags in a different way, to have the speech well integrated: a wonderful feature!

and when you complete the job and have the srt file translated, simply name it as the video, for example ACME.mp4 and ACME.srt and put both in the same folder: then any player, as even the simple VLC, should open the video linked with translated subtitle and this is very useful to see the video without interruptions

my 2 cents in subtitles
Collapse

Yaotl Altan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

memoQ video preview for subtitles (srt files)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »