How to easily remove duplicate entries from a TB?
Thread poster: pjg111
pjg111
pjg111  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:52
English to French
Jan 20, 2021

Hi everybody,

Could someone share their experience and suggest good practices to eliminate duplicate entries from term bases either from within MemoQ or in an external way?

Many thanks in advance for any clue.

Cheers.

Recep Kurt
Recep Kurt  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 18:52
Member (2011)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Goldpan Editor Jan 20, 2021

This free utility allows you to open TMX, SDLTM, XLIFF, SDLXLIFF, TBX files and filter the contents (find the duplicates) etc.
https://logrusglobal.com/goldpan.html (you need to have a 64-bit Windows OS, though)

pjg111
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
How to easily remove duplicate entries from a TB? Jan 20, 2021

Recep Kurt wrote:

This free utility allows you to open TMX, SDLTM, XLIFF, SDLXLIFF, TBX files and filter the contents (find the duplicates) etc.
https://logrusglobal.com/goldpan.html (you need to have a 64-bit Windows OS, though)

Thanks for the tip. I will try it and revert to let you know the outcome.

adrianrff
adrianrff
Venezuela
English to Spanish
Export as Excel as an alternative Jan 21, 2021

If you know your way around Excel, you can export the TB as an .xlsx and manipulate it en Excel, being mindful of the formatting, of course, which is fairly straighforward. The you reimport your clean Excel file into a new, empty TB.

[Edited at 2021-01-21 18:08 GMT]

pjg111

pjg111
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
How to easily remove duplicate entries from a TB? Jan 24, 2021

pjg111 wrote:

Recep Kurt wrote:

Thanks for the tip. I will try it and revert to let you know the outcome.

Interesting tip but unfortunately I have been unable to have a tbx available. So I chose the Excel route as suggested by adrianrff.

[Edited at 2021-01-24 22:55 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:52
English to Russian
Why not use memoQ itself? Jan 25, 2021

Go to 'Term bases' view, select your TB, plress Edit, press Show Duplicates.

pjg111
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
How to easily remove duplicate entries from a TB? Jan 25, 2021

Stepan Konev wrote:

Go to 'Term bases' view, select your TB, plress Edit, press Show Duplicates.

Thanks for the suggestion. Actually I had tried the feature but I did not mention it in my previous replies. While it allowed me to achieve the desired result, Excel route may be easier and give me a better insight on my TB records.

Anyway I warmly thank all those who replied my query and made helpful suggestions.

Cheers.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to easily remove duplicate entries from a TB?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »