Omer Shani  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 13:56
Member (2012)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Jan 26, 2021

Hello supporters colanguages!
I want to import a csv file and apply the multilingual delimited filter and making sure that the Chinese characters (both Simplified & Traditional) will be exported properly and not as Gibbrish.
In the Comma or tab-seperated options, which codepages should I choose for Codepage if not included and for Export codepage from the dropdown list offered for each variant?
If there are other configuration that I should apply, please let me know
Thank
... See more
Hello supporters colanguages!
I want to import a csv file and apply the multilingual delimited filter and making sure that the Chinese characters (both Simplified & Traditional) will be exported properly and not as Gibbrish.
In the Comma or tab-seperated options, which codepages should I choose for Codepage if not included and for Export codepage from the dropdown list offered for each variant?
If there are other configuration that I should apply, please let me know
Thanks!
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:56
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
UTF-8 Jan 28, 2021

Use UTF-8. Just always use UTF-8.

Omer Shani
Israel
Member (2012)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
UTF-8 Jan 28, 2021

esperantisto wrote:

Use UTF-8. Just always use UTF-8.

I always use UTF-8.
I tried using UTF-32 and I tried using specific Chinese-Simplified export settings (Chinese Simplified 2312, 2312-80 etc) and still - Gibbrish.

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Where? Jan 28, 2021

Omer Shani wrote:

I always use UTF-8.
I tried using UTF-32 and I tried using specific Chinese-Simplified export settings (Chinese Simplified 2312, 2312-80 etc) and still - Gibbrish.

Where, at which point do you see gibberish? Share a sample file.

Omer Shani
Israel
Member (2012)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Screenshot of the exported file Jan 28, 2021

esperantisto wrote:

Omer Shani wrote:

I always use UTF-8.

Where, at which point do you see gibberish? Share a sample file.

I see Gibberish after exporting the file into my PC. Within memoQ, the text looks just fine.
It is not a local font issue, for other exported files, on Excel & Word look just fine when I open them.

You can see here an example how do I see it after exporting

zhcn

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:56
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
~ Jan 28, 2021

~

[Edited at 2021-01-28 14:22 GMT]

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Excel or what? Jan 28, 2021

It is not clear how you open the file. I suspect, it is Excel. A very dumb program, like other garbage from Microsoft. Try LibreOffice or Apache OpenOffice, they open files in UTF-8 without problems.

Omer Shani
Israel
Member (2012)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It is a csv Jan 28, 2021

Yes, I knoe csv or Excel are not the best formats, but that is what the client is using. I need to align to their demands and not offer them another format which is not recognized from their end

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Program, not format Jan 29, 2021

I was talking about the particular program that you use, not about the file format. Once again: try opening the file in a good program such as LibreOffice/Apache OpenOffice or any good text editor (and no, Windows Notepad is not a good text editor). The screenshot provided implies that the file is opened in a wrong encoding, which is a fault of Excel or whatever program you use.

[Адрэдагавана 2021-01-29 07:01 GMT]

Sam Abramov
Sam Abramov
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:56
English to Russian
+ ...
Segmentation Feb 4, 2021

Well... I have lots of Asian characters inside my translation. Haven't been an issue since around 2010.
Most latest versions of Excel and MS Word are able to deal with most non-latin fonts surprisingly well.
Wouldn't it be an easy solution for you to just break segments into latin/asian pieces?
You can do it on the fly in MemoQ 8.7.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing csv with for Chinese

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »