Alice Beuchat
Alice Beuchat
Georgia
Local time: 15:57
German to French
+ ...
Mar 27, 2021

Hi everyone,

I do not own any CAT-tool license, I freelance on the side and paying up to 600€ a year isn't worth it for me. I started working with an agency in November 2020 because their job offer said that I didn't need my own license. I now regularly translate short texts (up to 1000 words) for them, in memoQ and Across. I have installed the free versions of both softwares on my laptop.

With Across, no issue: I get a key from the agency for each job, use it to retr
... See more
Hi everyone,

I do not own any CAT-tool license, I freelance on the side and paying up to 600€ a year isn't worth it for me. I started working with an agency in November 2020 because their job offer said that I didn't need my own license. I now regularly translate short texts (up to 1000 words) for them, in memoQ and Across. I have installed the free versions of both softwares on my laptop.

With Across, no issue: I get a key from the agency for each job, use it to retrieve the job in the desktop version and deliver it. As far as I know and for what I need to do (translation, run QA, use TM and TB), it works the same as the full version.

With memoQ however, I am not able to open the key from the agency in the desktop version and my only option is to use the online version, which has less features and is less practical. Am I missing something, is it possible to work in the desktop version without paying for a license (just like Across), or does memoQ do this on purpose?

Thanks,
Alice
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 14:57
English to Russian
There are different types of licenses Mar 27, 2021

Try this article. Most probably, your client gives you a web license [Users will have access to memoQWeb (legacy) (WebTrans)].

espoir03
Alice Beuchat

espoir03
espoir03
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
memoQ is not "600€ a year" Mar 28, 2021

Hi Alice,

It is true that memoQ cost 620€, but you don't need to pay annually.
When you buy memoQ license with ProZ group buy campaign (https://www.proz.com/tgb/) - there isn't now, or with coupon code, you can buy 30% off.
You need to pay "annually" when you buy SMA but even without SMA, your memoQ license is still valid and you can use memoQ.
Without SMA, you just can't get s
... See more
Hi Alice,

It is true that memoQ cost 620€, but you don't need to pay annually.
When you buy memoQ license with ProZ group buy campaign (https://www.proz.com/tgb/) - there isn't now, or with coupon code, you can buy 30% off.
You need to pay "annually" when you buy SMA but even without SMA, your memoQ license is still valid and you can use memoQ.
Without SMA, you just can't get support from memoQ and can't upgrade to latest version.
memoQ usually gives discount when you buy SMA for multiple years at once.

There's another solution. You can apply for other agencies who give vendors floating license that gives access to desktop version as well.

Stepan - your profile picture looks so cool with Japanese text! Thank you again for helping me with my memoQ questions posted here several years ago.

Akiko
Collapse

Stepan Konev

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
There's like 2 different temporary MemoQ licenses Mar 28, 2021

Accessed in 2 different unintuitive ways.

I vaguely remember a struggle, but ended up succeeding eventually.

Bug their people for direct click by click instructions on how to log in.

They're paying for it, so they should have some sort of tech support, either on their end or have somebody from memoQ troubleshoot your issues.

Iwona Budzynska MCIL
Alice Beuchat

Alice Beuchat
Alice Beuchat
Georgia
Local time: 15:57
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone! Mar 31, 2021

I'll try again next time they send me a job in memoQ.

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Idk about your agency, but... Apr 1, 2021

Alice Beuchat wrote:

I'll try again next time they send me a job in memoQ.

You probably don't have to wait for it.

Mine provides a license that can access any jobs you've been listed as a participant for on their server, included completed stuff (not sure how far back, never checked, but there is a bunch of prior stuff in my list)

You can go back in and see what revision stages did to your work etc.

So I'd recommend sorting it out before, not during.

[Edited at 2021-04-01 09:40 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using memoQ through agency without own license

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »