Dmitry Zaikin
Dmitry Zaikin
Uruguay
Local time: 10:13
English to Russian
+ ...
Apr 3, 2021

Hi all!

I've been thinking of buying the new MacBook Air with the ARM-based M1 processor, but close to half of my work is done in MemoQ, which has features that I'm unwilling to abandon. Yet I want this silent and compact powerhouse for a travel lifestyle. So I ask anyone with experience of using MemoQ on an M1 MacBook to share their thoughts. Does it work at all with ARM Windows? Or should I wait until the officially supported Win release?

Any feedback would be much ap
... See more
Hi all!

I've been thinking of buying the new MacBook Air with the ARM-based M1 processor, but close to half of my work is done in MemoQ, which has features that I'm unwilling to abandon. Yet I want this silent and compact powerhouse for a travel lifestyle. So I ask anyone with experience of using MemoQ on an M1 MacBook to share their thoughts. Does it work at all with ARM Windows? Or should I wait until the officially supported Win release?

Any feedback would be much appreciated. Great day, y'all! 😁
Collapse

Grigori Gazarian
radruz

Carlos A R de Souza
Carlos A R de Souza  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Try Parallels. Apr 21, 2021

MemoQ is Windows-only software. However, you can install Parallels. The fastest way to execute it would be to use the unofficial Windows 10 ARM build and emulate Intel MemoQ through the ARM layer. Sounds slow, but the M1 Mac's x86 emulation is surprisingly efficient. You might want to test it before you buy just to make sure it'll work, but considering even Photoshop and other x86 apps run on this setup with no issues, you will probably also have a smooth experience.

[Edited at 2021-04-21
... See more
MemoQ is Windows-only software. However, you can install Parallels. The fastest way to execute it would be to use the unofficial Windows 10 ARM build and emulate Intel MemoQ through the ARM layer. Sounds slow, but the M1 Mac's x86 emulation is surprisingly efficient. You might want to test it before you buy just to make sure it'll work, but considering even Photoshop and other x86 apps run on this setup with no issues, you will probably also have a smooth experience.

[Edited at 2021-04-21 09:47 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:13
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Try this link Apr 21, 2021

https://tinyurl.com/yegmmmnl

Grigori Gazarian
Grigori Gazarian  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:13
Member (2021)
Spanish to Russian
+ ...
Can recommend after some weeks of usage--with a caveat Apr 28, 2021

I've been using Parallels (first Technical Preview and now 16.5, which is the official release for the M1) for almost a month now to run Windows 10 Pro for ARM (Insider Preview) on my Macbook Air and Mac mini. I used this guide to set it up: https://9to5mac.com/2020/12/22/run-windows-10-arm-m1-mac-apple-silicon-x64-x86-no-boot-camp-video/ ... See more
I've been using Parallels (first Technical Preview and now 16.5, which is the official release for the M1) for almost a month now to run Windows 10 Pro for ARM (Insider Preview) on my Macbook Air and Mac mini. I used this guide to set it up: https://9to5mac.com/2020/12/22/run-windows-10-arm-m1-mac-apple-silicon-x64-x86-no-boot-camp-video/ (parts of it may be obsolete now).

Overall, it has been mostly a smooth sailing save for a couple of minor hiccups not worth discussing. I've allocated 2 cores (out of 8) and 4 Gb of RAM (out of 16) to Windows 10. I have 10-15 Mac apps open (for Intel and Apple Silicon), plus multiple background services and tools, some 30-40 open tabs in Chrome, I never quit Parallels and I have yet to see any meaningful impact on performance. memoQ, which I use to manage projects and edit translations, has been fast and responsive (or at least fast enough for my use), same as Trados Studio 2021. I used to run Windows on Parallels back in 2014-15 and don't remember it to be that fast.

The only caveat here is licensing. Parallels unfortunately can't be activated on more than one computer (even if they're not used simultaneously, which is precisely my use case). I've still got a couple of days left on the trial, so I'm weighing my options. But at least with Parallels it's an issue that can be solved by throwing money at the problem. Windows 10 licensing is a different story, as Microsoft simply doesn't sell the ARM version to the public, so while you can use the preview for now, Microsoft can pull the plug at any time. I've seen some conflicting reports about activating Windows on ARM using Home or Professional licenses (some people say it activates only temporary).

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any additional questions about this setup.
Collapse

Robert Piórkowski

Dmitry Zaikin
Dmitry Zaikin
Uruguay
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks and some feedback Apr 28, 2021

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone who replied.

In case this topic may interest someone else who is also thinking of switching to the new M1 Macs, here's what I can say from personal experience.

I totally agree with Grigori, who pretty much summed up my own experience with the new ARM processors and Windows in Parallels. My new 8-core MacBook Air with 16 Gb RAM and 1 Tb storage is an absolute beast when it comes to productivity, yet it's completely cool and silen
... See more
First of all, I'd like to thank everyone who replied.

In case this topic may interest someone else who is also thinking of switching to the new M1 Macs, here's what I can say from personal experience.

I totally agree with Grigori, who pretty much summed up my own experience with the new ARM processors and Windows in Parallels. My new 8-core MacBook Air with 16 Gb RAM and 1 Tb storage is an absolute beast when it comes to productivity, yet it's completely cool and silent, which is something I still find hard to believe, even after several weeks of using it on a daily basis.

Since my translation needs require MemoQ about 30% of the time, and it's a Windows-only CAT tool, I was forced to register for the Windows Insider program. Thankfully, Parallels recently announced full compatibility with the new ARM-based M1 processors in their latest release.

I am still using the trial version of Parallels in a dedicated desktop. I normally have 5-6 desktops opened simultaneously anyways, so another one doesn't bother me. Over the past week or so with Windows on Mac I'm completely loving it. I dedicated 4 cores and 8 Gb RAM to Parallels, but I don't think it's even using half these resources. MemoQ runs perfectly fine. Occasionally even smoother than it used to on my old Windows-native machine, which was pretty powerful. Shared desktop for easy access to files between Mac OS and Windows is something worth a separate mention. It's a breeze transferring files between the systems. There's also a shared buffer. So you can copy text in Mac OS and immediately paste it into a Windows document. Great for productivity.

Overall, I couldn't be happier about switching to the new platform. It's a fantastic piece of electronics, and I'm excited to see what else Apple will reveal in the years and months to come. This is coming from someone who was a Windows and Android user since the early 90's. And now I've surrendered to Apple's charm. And it's been a sweet surrender so far
Collapse

Grigori Gazarian
Paweł Lutze

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:13
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Welcome Apr 29, 2021

Dmitry Zaikin wrote:

..... I've surrendered to Apple's charm

The best thing about Apple is not its hardware but its system software, MacOS. The MacOS is extremely smooth and easy to use and being completely integrated with the hardware, there are no incompatibilities.

The worst thing about Apple is that it is driven by an unhealthy interest in maximising its share value at the expense of everything else. This feeds through into what it is doing to its computer hardware, for example welded-on hard drives and RAM, neither of which can be removed/upgraded.

I've also heard that the new MacMini has problems with displays (weird colours, pixels that don't work, etc.)

[Edited at 2021-04-29 10:14 GMT]

Baran Keki
Grigori Gazarian
Lisa Schuchardt
Robert Piórkowski

Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Local time: 14:13
Serbian to Russian
+ ...
true for many May 4, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

Dmitry Zaikin wrote:

This feeds through into what it is doing to its computer hardware, for example welded-on hard drives and RAM, neither of which can be removed/upgraded.

That's true for many manufacturers, not just Apple. My new Zenbook S, for instance, also has everything soldered in.

Petar Zivanic
Petar Zivanic  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
Well... May 27, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

The worst thing about Apple is that it is driven by an unhealthy interest in maximising its share value at the expense of everything else. This feeds through into what it is doing to its computer hardware, for example welded-on hard drives and RAM, neither of which can be removed/upgraded.

I've also heard that the new MacMini has problems with displays (weird colours, pixels that don't work, etc.)

That is not entirely objective information: there are many reasons to solder components, not only “unhealthy interest in maximising share value“, which is the easiest (laziest) conclusion and likely true to an extent, but there’s also their traditional control over all aspects of computing (the first Mac from 1984 had no expansion slots either...), effort to maximise useful space (in Intel machines) by putting RAM and SSD chips directly on the motherboard thus allowing for larger batteries and, esp. with m1 Macs, the inherent nature of SoC architecture that basically cannot be built any other way.
Also, display issues found with new Mac Minis are due to faulty/incompatible cables more than anything else.

Back to the OP’s question - I’ve bought the base model m1 Air recently (8GB, 256GB SSD) and am running Parallels with Windows 10 ARM and memoQ without issues. Overall, performance is excellent and RAM constraints rarely affect my daily use - I feel the computer works better than my 2015 27“ iMac with i5 and 24 gigs of RAM. I can only imagine what the performance of 16-gig machines looks and feels like...

[Edited at 2021-05-28 17:57 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-05-28 18:01 GMT]

Azman Salleh
Azman Salleh  Identity Verified
Malaysia
Local time: 21:13
Member (2010)
English to Malay
+ ...
Your Mac experience now after 1 year? May 13, 2022

Dmitry Zaikin wrote:
Overall, I couldn't be happier about switching to the new platform. It's a fantastic piece of electronics, and I'm excited to see what else Apple will reveal in the years and months to come. This is coming from someone who was a Windows and Android user since the early 90's. And now I've surrendered to Apple's charm. And it's been a sweet surrender so far

Hi Dmitry (or anybody),

Replying to an old thread here. Care to share your impression with Macbook Pro M1/Paraller/MemoQ now after 1 year?
1. How about keyboard shortcuts (F2 to edit source, Ctrl-H to search & replace, Shift+F3 etc. in MemoQ) Are they convenient?
2. Switching between Mac apps to Parallel-MemoQ, is it instantaneous (wake-up time)?
3. Disk space does it grow too fast with Parallel?
4. Windows Insider program do you need to renew anything after a few years?

I've used MemoQ for about 10 years now and happy. In addition to that I edit photos with Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop, and my current Thinkpad even with 16GB RAM won't cut it anymore. Heard good things about editing photos on Mac so wonder if I should go for it without sacrificing much of my translation workflow.

Thank you in advance.

[Edited at 2022-05-13 06:27 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Which features? May 13, 2022

Dmitry Zaikin wrote:

close to half of my work is done in MemoQ, which has features that I'm unwilling to abandon 😁

Which specific features would that be?

Lisa Schuchardt
Lisa Schuchardt  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2018)
English to German
+ ...
Experience with Parallels on an M1 Mac. May 14, 2022

Azman Salleh wrote:

1. How about keyboard shortcuts (F2 to edit source, Ctrl-H to search & replace, Shift+F3 etc. in MemoQ) Are they convenient?
2. Switching between Mac apps to Parallel-MemoQ, is it instantaneous (wake-up time)?

I've used MemoQ for about 10 years now and happy. In addition to that I edit photos with Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop, and my current Thinkpad even with 16GB RAM won't cut it anymore. Heard good things about editing photos on Mac so wonder if I should go for it without sacrificing much of my translation workflow.

Thank you in advance.

Hi, Azman!

1) I used Windows around 20 years ago, so I don't know much about the key layout. But shortcuts are just a habit. For example, you'll press fn + F2 to edit the source and control + H to find and replace text. If the default one isn't for you, you can also add your custom layout.

2) The switch is instant. You can seamlessly navigate between macOS and Windows apps. You simply click its icon and start the app or continue where you left off:

Screenshot at May 14 15-40-55

3) Parallels is using around 200 GB of my disk space. I have a couple of games installed, mind you.

4) No idea, sorry.

I may sound like a salesperson, but I love working with Apple products. The ecosystem just performs.

Have a lovely weekend!

[Edited at 2022-05-14 13:58 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-05-14 13:59 GMT]

Azman Salleh

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
English to German
+ ...
You can upgrade your Mac May 14, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

Dmitry Zaikin wrote:

Not so true, I upgraded my iMac (2020 build) from 16 GB to 72 GB (overkill, I know, but RAM was cheap). I bought the RAM modules on the internet and installed it myself.

Lisa Schuchardt

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
English to German
+ ...
Addendum May 14, 2022

Wolfgang wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Dmitry Zaikin wrote:

Not so true, I upgraded my iMac (2020 build) from 16 GB to 72 GB (overkill, I know, but RAM was cheap). I bought the RAM modules on the internet and installed it myself.

But probably you referred to the new Silicon Macs about which I know next to nothing as RAM is concerned.

Azman Salleh
Azman Salleh  Identity Verified
Malaysia
Local time: 21:13
Member (2010)
English to Malay
+ ...
Oh, Mac has function keys as well? May 14, 2022

Lisa Schuchardt wrote:
Hi, Azman!
1) I used Windows around 20 years ago, so I don't know much about the key layout. But shortcuts are just a habit. For example, you'll press fn + F2 to edit the source and control + H to find and replace text. If the default one isn't for you, you can also add your custom layout.

Hey Lisa, thanks for chiming in!
I've never owned a Mac, but pictures of Macbook Pro on Apple's website shows no F1-F12 like on my Thinkpad.
Or did you mean "fn + 2" for F2?
My concern was whatever keystroke we send will be captured by macOS itself (instead of by MemoQ within Parallel program) and interpreted differently (by Mac, instead of by MemoQ). Anyway if the keystroke works for you, I guess no problem then.
macbook pro keyboard x1 keyboard the verge

And 200GB of space with stuffs sounds fair!

I may sound like a salesperson, but I love working with Apple products. The ecosystem just performs.
Have a lovely weekend!

Haha sounds like you deserve to say so. I may need to save up for a few more months if this looks promising. cheers!

Dmitry Zaikin
Dmitry Zaikin
Uruguay
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Everything is great May 14, 2022

Azman Salleh wrote:

Dmitry Zaikin wrote:

Hi Dmitry (or anybody),

Replying to an old thread here. Care to share your impression with Macbook Pro M1/Paraller/MemoQ now after 1 year?

Thank you in advance.

Hi Azman,

Thanks for your question. So far I am loving it. There was a brief period of adjustment to the new keyboard layout, but nothing serious. As someone said, the shortcuts in MemoQ can be manually assigned to suit your needs.

The transition is seamless. I normally have Windows opened in a separate full-window desktop space. Switching is as easy as using a 3-finger swipe on the trackpad (which is absolutely awesome by the way). There's a shared desktop and a shared buffer, so copy-pasting between Mac OS and Windows in Parallels is inherently easy. Actually, I just renewed my 1-year subscription to Parallels and paid the money without even thinking twice. It's just so worth it for me, personally. About 1/3 of my workload is done in MemoQ, much of it has to do with character limits in strings. So, this setup works ideally for me at the moment.

I thought about switching to the new M1 Pro or even M1 Max 14-inch MacBook Pro, but it's heavier and thicker. The Air is just so much more portable and convenient. For the moment, the 16 gigs of RAM is enough. I'll wait for when they release and M1 Pro MacBook Air to upgrade should my needs increase. Currently, I often find myself with RAM loaded almost to the max with the different apps I have open simultaneously. So my ideal setup would be something lime a 32 GB RAM Air with a Silicone M1 Pro or Max on board. As long as it's fanless.

P.S. I would not consider going back to Windows/Adnroid after a year with Apple. This is something I never thought I would say. But once you get the feel of the system and the seamless interaction between all the different devices, you become hooked. Yeah, Apple is making money by making laptops unavailable to upgrade. But who cares. If it's a working PC, I'm ready to splurge some cash into it and use it as a tax write-off. If someone wants to save $$$ and cry about lack of upgrades, then perhaps it's not Apple's fault that you can't afford their tech. Everyone has to try it for themselves.

Lisa Schuchardt

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using MemoQ on the new M1 MacBook - experience qestion

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »