Is it possible to automatically process escape sequence backslash in XML files?
Thread poster: Don Alejandro
Don Alejandro
Don Alejandro
Russian Federation
Apr 15, 2021

Hello!

I'm working with mobile app translation into several languages and mainly process two types of files: XML (for Android OS) and STRINGS (for iOS). MemoQ seems to handle both of these types of files without much hassle - default XML filter does a good job, and for STRINGS files I use Regex. But there is a certain critical issue that I can't seem to overcome: automatical process of escape sequence backslash. Here is an example:

|string name="example1"|This is some e
... See more
Hello!

I'm working with mobile app translation into several languages and mainly process two types of files: XML (for Android OS) and STRINGS (for iOS). MemoQ seems to handle both of these types of files without much hassle - default XML filter does a good job, and for STRINGS files I use Regex. But there is a certain critical issue that I can't seem to overcome: automatical process of escape sequence backslash. Here is an example:

|string name="example1"|This is some example text and it\'s making my head \"hurt\".|/string|

As you can see symbols like ['] and ["] should have [\] before them, otherwise they will be treated by app engine as technical markers, not actual symbols. If I upload this sentence via XML filter, MemoQ will completele hide |string||/string| and display plain text but with all [\] before ['] and ["]. Moreover, the translator will have to put [\] manually in the target text each time they will need to translate words within ["]. What bothers me is that such tools as OneSky and Crowdin can handle these things automatically. They will hide all [\] from the actual source translation text and afterwards, when I will download target translation text, all ["] will automatically have [\] before them in target text as well, so there is no need to make additional Regex to hide [\] in source and linguist doesn't need to worry about manually writing [\] before each ["]. But I always considered MemoQ to be a somewhat superior CAT at least from technological point of view, so I'm sure it does have a solution for this matter. Perhaps someone could point me in the right direction please? =]

[Edited at 2021-04-15 09:09 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-04-15 09:09 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-04-15 09:11 GMT]
Collapse

Grigori Gazarian

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to automatically process escape sequence backslash in XML files?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »