Croatia
Local time: 03:33
Member (2020)
French to Croatian
+ ...
Grazie, mik Feb 5, 2021

Hi,

Thanks for your time and your reply.

I don't have many kudos points but I get "normal" offers too, so to speak.

Usually, anywhere between $ 0,08 and $0,11 mostly in finances or mechanical engineering.

My situation is a bit different because I have a day job in the financial sector which is a stable source of income so I do not accept "blackmailing" from these bottom-feeders.

I'd rather go cycling or hiking than work for $0,029
... See more
Hi,

Thanks for your time and your reply.

I don't have many kudos points but I get "normal" offers too, so to speak.

Usually, anywhere between $ 0,08 and $0,11 mostly in finances or mechanical engineering.

My situation is a bit different because I have a day job in the financial sector which is a stable source of income so I do not accept "blackmailing" from these bottom-feeders.

I'd rather go cycling or hiking than work for $0,029 wondering whether I'll get paid on time.

The point is to "flush out" these parasites and expose them for what they are.

We all mostly provide HT quality translations and we know how much work lies behind a quality translation. $0,024??? -Next time someone proposes me a $ 0, 025 I will ask her/him if it is his or hers I.Q? No hard feelings. Just business.
Collapse

Andrée Anne Tremblay

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
I think it's unified in banks. Feb 5, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:

jyuan_us wrote:
When you use a comma as the decimal point, how would you distinguish 1,001 Euro from 1.001 Euro?

Nations that use a comma for the decimal sign use different character for the thousands separator, e.g. a point or a space. So, in about half of Europe, "1.001" is one thousand and one. In the other half, one thousand and one is "1 001". Anyway, this reminds me of a story I heard about some guy whose carrier quoted him "one point two five cents" per megabyte but then charged him "one point two five dollars", and he was unable to convince even the chief supervisor that "1.25 cents" is not the same as $1.25.

Yes, 1 001 may be accepted in a school and/or post office, but I think decimal writing policies are unified in banks of all countries, for obvious reasons. In other words, for instance, 1.962,58 for euros should be written in the same way in all banks across Europe and even world. Banks operate internationally and can't afford problems or losses due to lack of standardization in number writing.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Lingua Feb 5, 2021

Lingua 5B wrote:
Yes, 1 001 may be accepted in a school and/or post office, but I think decimal writing policies are unified in banks of all countries, for obvious reasons.

One has to distinguish between data that is entered into a database, and data that is displayed to a user. Even if the database contains "1001 & 01/100", the program that generates the display can display it as either "1 001.01" or "1,001.01" or "1.001,01" etc.

For me, PayPal uses 1.001,01, but it probably uses something else for someone from the US. Australian bank statements use 1,001.01. My South African bank statements use 1 001,01. My Dutch bank statements use 1.001,01. I've had a look at my SWIFT notifications, and surprisingly they use two forms: in the body of the notification, along with all the codes (which makes me suspect that this is the raw data) is uses 1001,01 but in the formatted rich-text infobox at the top right of the e-mail it uses 1001.01. Go figure! And when I respond to my South African bank to authorize a SWIFT transfer, it uses 1,001.01.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Interesting. Feb 5, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:
Yes, 1 001 may be accepted in a school and/or post office, but I think decimal writing policies are unified in banks of all countries, for obvious reasons.

One has to distinguish between data that is entered into a database, and data that is displayed to a user. Even if the database contains "1001 & 01/100", the program that generates the display can display it as either "1 001.01" or "1,001.01" or "1.001,01" etc.

For me, PayPal uses 1.001,01, but it probably uses something else for someone from the US. Australian bank statements use 1,001.01. My South African bank statements use 1 001,01. My Dutch bank statements use 1.001,01. I've had a look at my SWIFT notifications, and surprisingly they use two forms: in the body of the notification, along with all the codes (which makes me suspect that this is the raw data) is uses 1001,01 but in the formatted rich-text infobox at the top right of the e-mail it uses 1001.01. Go figure! And when I respond to my South African bank to authorize a SWIFT transfer, it uses 1,001.01.

Interesting for the SA bank with a space, I never saw it in bank statements. My bank and most of my client transfers (different countries) use standard format. However, over here you may easily see things with a space, eg. 1 000 in math items, in school, in statistical data, etc. It's quite common over here, but I never saw it anywhere in bank context, I assume because banks have to follow and match international formats. It's one thing to play with a postal code, is it 37000 or 37 000, but entirely different when it's about large amounts of money lol don't play with that as it may end up messy, and it's an international chain.

Same thing with phone numbers, I know some French who couldn't comprehend why we write phone numbers three figures at a time with a space, while they do two figures, eg. 334 773 and in French it would be 33 47 73. In both cases you will dial the right number. In banks it may end up in a disaster.

[Edited at 2021-02-05 18:01 GMT]

Sanjin Grandić

Sanjin Grandić
Sanjin Grandić  Identity Verified
Croatia
Member (2020)
French to Croatian
+ ...
Banks and robbers Feb 7, 2021

"In banks it may end up in a disaster."-I work in a bank, we're here to take your money.-))))
The monthly fee for "managing account" different interest rates you pay...you name it we take a little from everybody and there s a lot of clients ..hope my employer won't read this -:) Even though it is no secret what their business is...

Yaotl Altan

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

0,024 Usd per word

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »