mik dicorato
mik dicorato  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Feb 3, 2021

Hallo,
I've been away from here for a long time

I received a proposal for 0,024 Usd . I 'm confused, because I know that 0,01 is 1 cent.
I can't realize how much is 0,024....

Thanks for you help

[Modificato alle 2021-02-03 17:03 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:48
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Mik Feb 3, 2021

mik dicorato wrote:
I can't realize how much is 0,024...

It's 2.4 cents. At the extreme lower end of the rates scale, fractions of cents are not atypical.

Dalia Nour
Angie Garbarino
Yaotl Altan

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 02:48
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Precision Matters Feb 3, 2021

In the past, we all used tape measure or ruler to measure the dimensions of our living room. Then, battery operated small devices came out that use a laser beam to measure the dimensions of the same room with higher precision. They are practical but not as reliable as a tape measure because they depend on a battery which will eventually run out. I have both at home but use the tape measure more frequently.

Is there a relevance here? Not really. If the client is high precision i
... See more
In the past, we all used tape measure or ruler to measure the dimensions of our living room. Then, battery operated small devices came out that use a laser beam to measure the dimensions of the same room with higher precision. They are practical but not as reliable as a tape measure because they depend on a battery which will eventually run out. I have both at home but use the tape measure more frequently.

Is there a relevance here? Not really. If the client is high precision in specifying the rate, we will not blame him as long as he gives a reasonable enough number. Here, the rate is 2.4 cents a word, which is not that reasonable. If he were to say 8.4 cents a word, we could accept the offer. Sorry client.
Collapse

Morano El-Kholy
Dalia Nour
Liviu-Lee Roth
Philip Lees

mik dicorato
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ok Feb 3, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote: ok Samuel,
then In euro is 0,2 cent per word.
thanks for your help

mik dicorato wrote:
I can't realize how much is 0,024...

It's 2.4 cents. At the extreme lower end of the rates scale, fractions of cents are not atypical.

Dalia Nour

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 01:48
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Also at gas stations Feb 4, 2021

I would charge 0,024 Euro per character maybe.
Diesel might cost 1,399 Euro, once I saw 1,311 or something. That's really funny, because single cents are only taken into account when paying other than cash. At the shop the cashier says 10,95 when the sum is 10,94, because we don't use 1 or 2 cent coins in Finland. The coins would cost more than they are worth. So when I come from abroad I have to discard 1 and 2 cent coins from my wallet, because they are useless.
Hopefully covid-19
... See more
Diesel might cost 1,399 Euro, once I saw 1,311 or something. That's really funny, because single cents are only taken into account when paying other than cash. At the shop the cashier says 10,95 when the sum is 10,94, because we don't use 1 or 2 cent coins in Finland. The coins would cost more than they are worth. So when I come from abroad I have to discard 1 and 2 cent coins from my wallet, because they are useless.
Hopefully covid-19 has taught also the Germans to use cashless paying, so if and when I come next time to Germany I can manage without cash, as I could last year in Norway.
Collapse

mik dicorato
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
. Feb 4, 2021

Heinrich Pesch wrote:I understand now ... because with change 0,024 in euro, is exactly 0,2 cent...

Abroad is always the best think to pay cashless.
Bye

Hopefully covid-19 has taught also the Germans to use cashless paying, so if and when I come next time to Germany I can manage without cash, as I could last year in Norway.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:48
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
The decimal point Feb 4, 2021

When you use a comma as the decimal point, how would you distinguish 1,001 Euro from 1.001 Euro?

[Edited at 2021-02-04 11:37 GMT]

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:48
German to English
+ ...
decimal point problem Feb 4, 2021

They should have written 0.24 per word. I'm only half joking.

mik dicorato
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
. Feb 4, 2021

Maxi Schwarz wrote:I hoped, but they offer 2 cent, 4 decimal and not 24 cent....

They should have written 0.24 per word. I'm only half joking.

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Depends Feb 4, 2021

If it's crap like transcripts nobody ever reads, with bottom of the barrel quality standards, and you have a good CAT tool... you could probably do 1200-1500+ words an hour easy without breaking a sweat. 2000+ if you really don't give a damn.

Still obnoxious filler work, but it really depends on whether it requires any research or polish or not

[Edited at 2021-02-04 13:55 GMT]

Bajram Djambazi
Bajram Djambazi
United States
Local time: 18:48
English to Albanian
+ ...
A system that works the other way around Feb 4, 2021

jyuan_us wrote:

When you use a comma as the decimal point, how would you distinguish 1,001 Euro from 1.001 Euro?

[Edited at 2021-02-04 11:37 GMT]

As someone that went to school both in Europe and the U.S. (and actually even had a talk once with my geometry teacher about this issue, once I used a comma as the decimal point in the U.S.), I know that it's the other way around. Hence, that example would translate to: 1.001 Euro (for one thousand and one euro), and 1,001 Euro (for one point zero zero one euro).
When uncertain, I feel like it's safer to write the numbers down in words when translating from one of these systems into another.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Jyuan Feb 4, 2021

jyuan_us wrote:

Nations that use a comma for the decimal sign use different character for the thousands separator, e.g. a point or a space. So, in about half of Europe, "1.001" is one thousand and one. In the other half, one thousand and one is "1 001". Anyway, this reminds me of a story I heard about some guy whose carrier quoted him "one point two five cents" per megabyte but then charged him "one point two five dollars", and he was unable to convince even the chief supervisor that "1.25 cents" is not the same as $1.25.

Angie Garbarino
Adieu
Clement Cheung

finnword1
finnword1
United States
Local time: 19:48
English to Finnish
+ ...
Too much precision is sometimes funny Feb 4, 2021

I just purchased a box of hand sanitizing wipes that kill 99,9% of the germs. I asked the store manager if I can return them in case that they only kill 99,8%. He did not find it funny.

Sanjin Grandić
Sanjin Grandić  Identity Verified
Croatia
Member (2020)
French to Croatian
+ ...
Offers-Scammers-One man operated "companies". Feb 4, 2021

I was offered $ 0.029 for human translation just recently. I was asked to state my rate per word in the language pair and offered $ 0.08 as my bottom rate since it is a very large project, feeding the A.I. 6 months. They told me I was "a bit" expensive and offered me that rate. I told them thanks but no thanks.

Yesterday I received a colorful mail from India-bottom part was filled red with yellow ink and at the end of the page a text:
"XY company-European operations. Germany
... See more
I was offered $ 0.029 for human translation just recently. I was asked to state my rate per word in the language pair and offered $ 0.08 as my bottom rate since it is a very large project, feeding the A.I. 6 months. They told me I was "a bit" expensive and offered me that rate. I told them thanks but no thanks.

Yesterday I received a colorful mail from India-bottom part was filled red with yellow ink and at the end of the page a text:
"XY company-European operations. Germany, French, E.U. Morroco"
6 or 7 big mistakes in writing and grammar. He asked for my proz.com profile- a LinkedIn profile and an updated CV.

- I hit the blue-bord as I wanted to know something about that "Company"-I won't mention the name and I found out that the guy was prohibited from posting jobs on proz.com because he still owes money to proz.com members so what he did instead was to use the site's address book and apply filter and there he finds me.

He is a company. He has a photo on Facebook. Good-bye.

Today I have another champion who is willing to offer a "solid" says he, $ 0,05 per word if I am a medical translator with a university degree in translating and three years experience in "this and that" etc. $ 0.05 ??? Really.

So, for a linguist with a university degree in translation in the medical field as a subspecialty, he or she is willing to pay $ 0. 05 per word. - Despite the official rates they contact the linguist directly offering them ludicrous prices.

But the guy who is targeting proz.com members even though he is banned from posting jobs here because he owes money to more than three linguists or more at the moment on proz.com still trying to find new prey really unnerved me and for a moment I wanted to reply him to first of all pay the money he owes before asking my service but I didn't. Next time- I will.

I hate scammers.

[Edited at 2021-02-04 22:52 GMT]
Collapse

Adieu

mik dicorato
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
. Feb 5, 2021

Sanjin Grandić wrote: 0,029 are 2 cent and 9 decimal?? yes??
Many company try to find translators at a very low price.
Indeed, after my degree I tried to work with Proz, than I gained some kudoz points.
But I realized that it wasn't worth it, so I found another job.

Despite the fact that , my profile is not update, I receive offers from companies.
They search for low profiles like me, in order to offer a very low price.

I wish you all a nice day!!!

"XY company-European operations. Germany, French, E.U. Morroco"
6 or 7 big mistakes in writing and grammar. He asked for my proz.com profile- a LinkedIn profile and an updated CV.

- I hit the blue-bord as I wanted to know something about that "Company"-I won't mention the name and I found out that the guy was prohibited from posting jobs on proz.com because he still owes money to proz.com members so what he did instead was to use the site's address book and apply filter and there he finds me.

He is a company. He has a photo on Facebook. Good-bye.

Today I have another champion who is willing to offer a "solid" says he, $ 0,05 per word if I am a medical translator with a university degree in translating and three years experience in "this and that" etc. $ 0.05 ??? Really.

So, for a linguist with a university degree in translation in the medical field as a subspecialty, he or she is willing to pay $ 0. 05 per word. - Despite the official rates they contact the linguist directly offering them ludicrous prices.

But the guy who is targeting proz.com members even though he is banned from posting jobs here because he owes money to more than three linguists or more at the moment on proz.com still trying to find new prey really unnerved me and for a moment I wanted to reply him to first of all pay the money he owes before asking my service but I didn't. Next time- I will.

I hate scammers.

[Edited at 2021-02-04 22:52 GMT]

Sanjin Grandić

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

0,024 Usd per word

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »