Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >
Off topic: Completely frivolous thread
Thread poster: Tom in London
Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 21:57
English to Turkish
Laurence Fox Apr 18, 2021

I don't know much about Querdenker (and I'm not interested in finding out what they're about), but today I chanced upon this guy Laurence Fox while searching for something completely different on Youtube. I used to enjoy watching him as Lewis' sidekick until the show got boring. Apparently he's formed his own political party/movement in the UK against 'wokeness' and he's been cancelled as a result (that's what I gathered from the vids I've watched so far). I'm curious about the Brits' take on hi... See more
I don't know much about Querdenker (and I'm not interested in finding out what they're about), but today I chanced upon this guy Laurence Fox while searching for something completely different on Youtube. I used to enjoy watching him as Lewis' sidekick until the show got boring. Apparently he's formed his own political party/movement in the UK against 'wokeness' and he's been cancelled as a result (that's what I gathered from the vids I've watched so far). I'm curious about the Brits' take on him. Will he be the next Farage?Collapse

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Zibow Retailleau
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:57
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hüh, mein Pferdchen! Apr 18, 2021

Now, who wouldn't hate authority, literally crawling under women like that? Fictitiously, I mean.

[Edited at 2021-04-19 04:16 GMT]

Zibow Retailleau
Matthias Brombach

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Who knows ... Apr 19, 2021

Baran Keki wrote: ...but today I chanced upon this guy Laurence Fox while searching for something completely different on Youtube. ... Will he be the next Farage?

... but it would be a nice new nickname for the second profile of our Querdenker troll here on proz.

Zibow Retailleau
P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Er... Apr 19, 2021

Baran Keki wrote:

Laurence Fox ... Apparently he's formed his own political party/movement in the UK against 'wokeness' and he's been cancelled as a result

Quite successfully cancelled then, as I’d never heard of him!

It’s about time the Daily Mail and the 1950s had their own political party. My granny would’ve approved. Maybe they’ll send all the wogs home too and we can be a proper island again.

P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Zibow Retailleau
Baran Keki

Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
German to English
False comparison Apr 19, 2021

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Of course it is. But I've been zapped, closed down and greyed out more times than I care to remember on this very forum for voicing my often unsought opinions, so please spare me the guff about authority. I am nothing if not somebody against authority, which you would know if you read more of the "sarcastic crap" I write here. At least I get a laugh now and again, whereas all you inspire is a yawn. That "sarcastic crap" is a direct quote from you, when you wrote to me in private not long ago, whining that that you were going to tell teacher about me. As Matthias usefully pointed out at the time.

And he pointed it out because you're the very first to go crying to the teacher in the playground because someone stole your biccies, despite all your bollocksy bollock-grinding bollocks about how we shouldn't give in to the big bad authorities.

[Edited at 2021-04-18 18:08 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-04-19 04:14 GMT]

The draconian laws being enacted in Germany and elsewhere in response to the coronavirus are bit more serious than the playground nonsense you're referring to. Wednesday is an important day here in Germany, when proposals to amend the already draconian Infektionsschutzgesetz will go before parliament. Maybe you and others should research the details of this new law before attacking me and others who oppose it.

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 21:57
English to Turkish
So would have Alf Garnett Apr 19, 2021

Chris S wrote:

It’s about time the Daily Mail and the 1950s had their own political party. My granny would’ve approved. Maybe they’ll send all the wogs home too and we can be a proper island again.

May he rest in peace.

P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:57
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Mr Fox Apr 19, 2021

one of the biggest ******** on the planet...

P.L.F. Persio

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Something completely different (but still on topic): Apr 19, 2021

No more news from the past (Lincoln H.)? Hope he's (still) fine!

[Bearbeitet am 2021-04-19 20:54 GMT]

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:57
Member (2004)
English to Italian
well... Apr 20, 2021

Matthias Brombach wrote:

No more news from the past (Lincoln H.)? Hope he's (still) fine!

[Bearbeitet am 2021-04-19 20:54 GMT]

I have no idea, but maybe he was reprimanded by the site management? It's weird he just disappeared like that. I almost miss him...

Matthias Brombach
P.L.F. Persio
Barbara Carrara
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Frau Schmidt Apr 20, 2021

How does she feel about all these draconian measures? Is she a liberal too?

Matthias Brombach

Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
German to English
Who? Apr 21, 2021

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

How does she feel about all these draconian measures? Is she a liberal too?

Who's Frau Schmidt?

Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
German to English
The political spectrum Apr 21, 2021

Matthias Brombach wrote:

... because he's just one of the useful idiots of this guy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Björn_Höcke?wprov=sfla1

It bursts the frame of this thread, but the thematic is more complex than I could explain here. There's nothing to say against protesting or to sue against governmental covid measures, but to follow as a grown up these guys is disgusting. I'm fine with people with true conservative or liberal and even far left opinions, but these new movements like Querdenker, Pegida or AfD lead to nothing constructive, and they know it. Attacking journalists on Querdenker demonstrations and spreading conspiracy theories: "Gerard", you are such a great democratic, Ernst Röhm would have been proud of you, as Frau Schmidt is. And to come back to the topic of this great thread, she would say: "Hüh, mein Pferdchen!"

[Bearbeitet am 2021-04-18 19:38 GMT]

So you're okay with "far-left" views (ever hear of Stalin and the evils of communism?) but have no time for even moderate right-wing views, or the liberal views of the Querdenker? That's odd, but very typical of the Germans on the other hand.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
That Frau Schmidt Apr 22, 2021

She's your boss. It was self-deleted before, but I'll give you a clue: she's feisty, blonde, blue-eyed and busty, and her call is "Hüh, mein Pferdchen!"

Now, the only person who would have the original of all this - what was it you called it, oh yes, "sarcastic c__p", that was it - is the OP. He's sure to have deleted all notifications about my posts, but you could try him anyway. You mind your Ps and Qs, though. Have a care with your grammar, lad, unless you want a Level 3 or 4.

P.L.F. Persio
Matthias Brombach
Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Tell us more ... Apr 22, 2021

Gerard Barry wrote: no time for even moderate right-wing views, or the liberal views of the Querdenker? That's odd, but very typical of the Germans on the other hand.

... about your way and structure of thinking, it speaks for itself. Meanwhile, the other readers, even those with a rather distant attitude and knowledge about Germany should know what kind of person you and your "Querdenkers" are. Nothing more to add. Almost all has been said. But please, go on. I'll wait until you get your first like for your queer conspiracy thoughts ("draconian German laws") and unreflected attitudes of a person, who believes that he's political and does not distance oneself from those leaders and forces of your movements acting in the background, like Höcke, the AfD, PEGIDA and others extreme right movements you seem to be attracted to.

P.L.F. Persio
Zibow Retailleau
Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Forgive me (again), but... Apr 22, 2021

... there is something faintly ridiculous about a querdenkende freedom fighter who works as a downtrodden in-house translator in the excessively politically correct translation department of a German corporate conglomerate. Shouldn’t you be manning the barricades?

Makes me think of the Tooting Popular Front (Google it).

P.L.F. Persio
Zibow Retailleau
Matthias Brombach
Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Completely frivolous thread

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »