[bug report] Icon scaling problems after updating SDL Trados Studio 2021 SR1 to version 16.1.5.4270
Thread poster: Aleksandrs Vališevskis
Aleksandrs Vališevskis
Aleksandrs Vališevskis
Latvia
Local time: 10:43
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
May 5, 2021

The built-in icons (that appear between source and target segments and indicate errors/warnings/locked segments/etc.) got about 200% their normal size after the last update. They are so big now that they cover part of the text. Tried restarting my computer and updating OS/drivers (Windows 10 with all the latest updates). Also tried different monitors - my laptop monitor/external monitor. Anyone else got this problem?

Here is a sample:

Kind regards,
Aleksandrs

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:43
English to Russian
Me either May 5, 2021

I guess, this is because you use 150% scaling.
Unfortunately, SDL could never resolve this issue. You have to choose between scaling the entire OS (125% to 150%) or tolerate microscopic captions. This is how they "resolved" the issue. Weirdly [for others, not for SDL], only icons were modifi
... See more

Unfortunately, SDL could never resolve this issue. You have to choose between scaling the entire OS (125% to 150%) or tolerate microscopic captions. This is how they "resolved" the issue. Weirdly [for others, not for SDL], only icons were modified, not text. Now we have giant icons with same microscopic text.

Brilliant...
I asked them what monitor I should choose to make sure that Trados works fine out of the box, but I didn't get a straightforward reply. This makes me think they are not aware of monitors that Trados works fine with.

[Edited at 2021-05-05 12:41 GMT]
Collapse

Aleksandrs Vališevskis
Aleksandrs Vališevskis
Latvia
Local time: 10:43
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
seems you are right May 5, 2021

My original setup was 150%/125% for my primary/secondary monitor, with scaling issues on both monitors. Setting both monitors to 100% seems to have solved the issue, but my 1920x1080 14" laptop monitor is pretty useless at 100%. Setting both monitors to the same scaling (e.g. 150%) doesn't seem to solve the issue on my system. But I am almost sure that I didn't have this issue before the last update...

Aleksandrs

Stepan Konev wrote:

Unfortunately, SDL could never resolve this issue. You have to choose between scaling the entire OS (125% to 150%) or tolerate microscopic captions. This is how they "resolved" the issue. Weirdly [for others, not for SDL], only icons were modified, not text. Now we have giant icons with same microscopic text.

Brilliant...
I asked them what monitor I should choose to make sure that Trados works fine out of the box, but I didn't get a straightforward reply. This makes me think they are not aware of monitors that Trados works fine with.

[Edited at 2021-05-05 12:41 GMT]

Stepan Konev

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:43
English to Russian
That's right May 5, 2021

The recent update was released after the discussion I initiated in the above-referenced post on fSDL forum. Obviously, their update does not fix anything and even makes it worse, but now you know who is to be blamed
I think they did it with a purpose [to cut complaints]. Hope they roll back this mocking "fix" soon.

[Edited at 2021-05-06 14:04 GMT]

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:43
Member (2004)
English to Italian
amazing... May 6, 2021

I just read the discussion and I'm flabbergasted. The product doesn't do its job and it's the user's fault for not finding the right solution or complaining too much, or there are other more important things...

"It's also good that you share your experiences in here because an Enterprise like RWS (fSDL) don't get all the latest hardware improvements"

I wonder what the "f" in "fSDL" stands for...

Stepan Konev

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

[bug report] Icon scaling problems after updating SDL Trados Studio 2021 SR1 to version 16.1.5.4270

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »