MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 16:44
Italian to German
+ ...
Jun 27, 2009

Hello,

I'm looking for a tool (possibly freeware) to convert a TMX file into a CSV file (or a TAB delimited file).

I'm already using Olifant for TM management which can also export to a "Wordfast file" which in fact is a tab delimited file. Alas, some special characters will get lost in the process, so I must look for something else.

Thanks very much for your feedback!

Mike

Maxim Manzhosin
Maxim Manzhosin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:44
English to Russian
ApSic Xbench Jun 27, 2009

Try Xbench – it looks like the tool you're looking for.

Eugene Gulak
Eugene Gulak  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 17:44
Member (2007)
English to Russian
+ ...
SDLX Jun 27, 2009

SDLX (if you happen to have one) can easily do it. Just import you TMX into Maintain module and export it to a delimited file.

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:44
English to Spanish
Stingray can convert TMX to CSV Jun 27, 2009

MikeTrans wrote:
I'm looking for a tool (possibly freeware) to convert a TMX file into a CSV file (or a TAB delimited file).

Stingray can open a TMX file and export it as CSV. It lets you select column separator and you can use TAB if you want.

Regards,
Rodolfo

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jun 27, 2009

Thanks very much for your quick replies.
I succeed with SDLX!

Mike

Zeper
Zeper
Chinese to Uighur
sdlx Sep 22, 2010

where i can find sdlx?
thank you。

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 22:44
English to Thai
+ ...
SDLX Sep 23, 2010

Zeper wrote:

where i can find sdlx?
thank you。

It is in SDL Trados 2006, 2007 and older SDLX CAT packages. It is not in SDL Trados Studio 2009, the latest Trados group CAT tool.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SDLX inclusive with SDL Trados 2009 Sep 23, 2010

When you buy SDL Trados 2009 SP2 you also get the Trados 2007 suite which contains "SDLX 2007". You must however install SDLX separately.

SDLX is very flexible in exporting a TM to various Formats (EXCEL, text file, Trados, Access), but the program may soon become outdated as for handling the newest versions of WORD, InDesign or other formats for translation.

In my humble opinion SDLX is still way better, faster and, for heaven´s sake, more stable than the actual Trad
... See more
When you buy SDL Trados 2009 SP2 you also get the Trados 2007 suite which contains "SDLX 2007". You must however install SDLX separately.

SDLX is very flexible in exporting a TM to various Formats (EXCEL, text file, Trados, Access), but the program may soon become outdated as for handling the newest versions of WORD, InDesign or other formats for translation.

In my humble opinion SDLX is still way better, faster and, for heaven´s sake, more stable than the actual Trados 2009. Also it doesn´t need the NetFramework 3.5 to run and invade your system.

And just because we are at it, here are some more hardcore TRADOS critics:
It's incredible, but Trados 2009 only allows you to export a TM into Trados or TMX formats. Apparently they don´t want you to get too much away...
I would definitely not recommend you to use Trados 2009 for any TM maintenance.
If you already own it then you must get a third-party program to do that.
In a demo Version sent by SDL I found out that in Trados 2009 you cannot even jump to the last TM entry...! Sorry, but: Is that professional? What about engaging some beta testers to look at the various program aspects? A tool that costs 3 figures deserves that.

To make TM corrections easier for the translator, every CAT Tool should have the possibility to export a TM to a file that every good word processor can read, as is the CSV format (readable by EXCEL even if very large). This is not the case for most of the CAT Tools (not only Trados).
TMX is a standard format with lots of problems (attributes!) and it is NOT suited for editing which is a pity.

Mike

[Edited at 2010-09-23 22:36 GMT]
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 22:44
English to Thai
+ ...
SDLX advocate Sep 24, 2010

MikeTrans wrote:

In my humble opinion SDLX is still way better, faster and, for heaven´s sake, more stable than the actual Trados 2009. Also it doesn´t need the NetFramework 3.5 to run and invade your system.

To make TM corrections easier for the translator, every CAT Tool should have the possibility to export a TM to a file that every good word processor can read, as is the CSV format (readable by EXCEL even if very large). This is not the case for most of the CAT Tools (not only Trados).
TMX is a standard format with lots of problems (attributes!) and it is NOT suited for editing which is a pity.

Yes. I am one of SDLX advocates after wasting a lot of time with Trados in the same purchased package (without extra penny to buy it!). [My language pairs are not much compatible with Trados files.]

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Emiliano Domenech
Emiliano Domenech  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
apSIC XBench Apr 19, 2021

Hey, I come from the future, the year is 2021.

Nowadays, apSIC XBench is the way to go. It's free for 30 days.

You just import the TMX file into a new project, then export it. The export options are tab delimited TXT file, TMX, Excel file (xlsx) or Word file (docx). It's very easy and it works.

I'm posting this because I tried several solutions (I even tried the demo for Trados Studio 2021 trying to use SDLX nowadays, and it didn't work (man I miss the old
... See more
Hey, I come from the future, the year is 2021.

Nowadays, apSIC XBench is the way to go. It's free for 30 days.

You just import the TMX file into a new project, then export it. The export options are tab delimited TXT file, TMX, Excel file (xlsx) or Word file (docx). It's very easy and it works.

I'm posting this because I tried several solutions (I even tried the demo for Trados Studio 2021 trying to use SDLX nowadays, and it didn't work (man I miss the old SDLX). Olifant required a very old .net framework (which I don't advice to install if you have the latest). Somebody mentioned Stingray, which didn't work either (I'm guessing it's too old for windows 10).

That's it, I hope someone from the year 2021 finds this post useful
Collapse

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:44
English to Spanish
Stingray works on Windows 10 Apr 19, 2021

Emiliano Domenech wrote:
Somebody mentioned Stingray, which didn't work either (I'm guessing it's too old for windows 10).

Stingray works fine on Windows 10. It's not "old", its in active development (last update was released on February 22, 2021).

And there is a tool you didn't mention: TMXEditor (https://www.maxprograms.com/products/tmxeditor.html).

TMXEditor lets you convert TMX to Excel (.xslx) and to CSV (TAB delimited).

Regards,
Rodolfo

Jorge Payan

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:44
English to Russian
Heartsome TMX Editor Apr 19, 2021

Emiliano Domenech wrote:
apSIC XBench is the way to go. It's free for 30 days.
Heartsome is free forever.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for a tool TMX > CSV

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »