Neirda  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 18:43
Chinese to French
+ ...
Point being? Jan 31

Dan Lucas wrote:

Neirda wrote:
I agree on Dan's views on mostly everything, but I don't think that AI bubble is going to burst, but will instead probably get back to earth when people learn to make the difference between the technology, its ups and downs, and the buzzword.

The gales of the AI winter that began in the late 1980s blew the froth off the top, but the latte itself was still there in the bottom of the cup. Technologies like fuzzy logic, expert systems, and neural networks didn't disappear but rather continued to evolve with reduced funding levels (and perhaps with different names). Advances like the ones described in the 2017 "Attention is all you need" paper are very noticeable, but they still built on what came before...

AI in its many guises has been here for a long time and its use is only going to become more widespread, and that's a good thing (provided we don't hit a singularity). There will be fluctuations in investment and interest, but that is the case for every industry. Over the long term it will even out.

Regards,
Dan

[Edited at 2024-01-30 07:32 GMT]

Everything is built on what came before, which in computing mostly roots back to the 1970's 1980's, and every "innovation" with a trade mark slapped on it is built on top of at least a couple of open sourced actual breakthroughs for which the original author hardly ever received any credit.
So?

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:43
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Missing the point Jan 31

Neirda wrote:
Everything is built on what came before, which in computing mostly roots back to the 1970's 1980's, and every "innovation" with a trade mark slapped on it is built on top of at least a couple of open sourced actual breakthroughs for which the original author hardly ever received any credit.
So?

I think you're having trouble extracting the core argument. To rephrase:

- AI has a long history in its various forms, and has been through downturns before
- Those pullbacks did not signify the end of the industry
- If there is another downturn in a year or two, it will not mean the end of AI
- AI is here to stay, so we (collectively) had better get used to it

Perhaps you disagree with one or all of these - fairly anodyne, I thought - assertions.
If so, feel free to offer an alternative view.

Dan

JaneD
JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 12:43
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
But what about privacy? Mar 7

I'm coming to this discussion a little late as I've only just heard of this abomination. My main query (apart from "Er... what exactly does it do? I can already copy and paste myself, ta") is "What about data privacy?"

There seems to be no indication about it in the marketing blurb, I can't read the information (if such there is) in the super-hyper premium forum, and I'm not sufficiently time-rich to email anyone directly connected.

I would, however, be interested to kn
... See more
I'm coming to this discussion a little late as I've only just heard of this abomination. My main query (apart from "Er... what exactly does it do? I can already copy and paste myself, ta") is "What about data privacy?"

There seems to be no indication about it in the marketing blurb, I can't read the information (if such there is) in the super-hyper premium forum, and I'm not sufficiently time-rich to email anyone directly connected.

I would, however, be interested to know what's happening to the data a user puts into this thing. Is it all just going into the maw of Chat GPT? And how would that impact the client?
Collapse

Barbara Carrara
Robert Rietvelt

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Find out at 6pm GMT... Mar 7

JaneD wrote:

I would, however, be interested to know what's happening to the data a user puts into this thing. Is it all just going into the maw of Chat GPT? And how would that impact the client?

You can hear all about it in an hour from the lovely Tanya on the AI Expo!

There was a guy on there earlier saying it's all fine because Microsoft and OpenAI's agreements say your data won't be passed on. That doesn't tally with UK government employees being banned from accessing ChatGPT from work computers...

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wordscope Mar 7

I just had a 'peek' at https://pro.wordscope.com, and wow, you must be a fool not to work with it. It seems to do almost everything, except making a cup of tea, you still have to do that yourself.

Let wordscope do the work for us, and we get loads of free time on our hands to do other things. It is almost too good to be true (where
... See more
I just had a 'peek' at https://pro.wordscope.com, and wow, you must be a fool not to work with it. It seems to do almost everything, except making a cup of tea, you still have to do that yourself.

Let wordscope do the work for us, and we get loads of free time on our hands to do other things. It is almost too good to be true (where have we heard that before?). That's where, for me, the shoe pinches. In another thread about more of less the same subject I stated that if I were to be reduced as a sidekick of a machine which is doing all the work for me, I would quit. Well, it seems that moment Q is nearing.

Furthermore, next to the privacy discussion that is going on (very important!), I would like to know what agencies think about this new tool. I am still waiting for my first (real) translation job with the instructions 'please use AI/MT'. I haven't received it yet. Did you?

[Edited at 2024-03-07 17:50 GMT]

[Edited at 2024-03-07 18:06 GMT]
Collapse

Christopher Schröder

JaneD
JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Trust us, we're Microsoft! Mar 7

Christopher Schröder wrote:

You can hear all about it in an hour from the lovely Tanya on the AI Expo!

There was a guy on there earlier saying it's all fine because Microsoft and OpenAI's agreements say your data won't be passed on. That doesn't tally with UK government employees being banned from accessing ChatGPT from work computers...

Yeah, no. As for the AI Expo, I'm trying to find ways to shut down AI in my life, not add it. It's not that I hate technology (I love it!), it's that I'm rather fonder of the planet:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/dec/23/ai-chat-gpt-environmental-impact-energy-carbon-intensive-technology

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
🤷‍♂️ Mar 7

JaneD wrote:
Yeah, no. As for the AI Expo, I'm trying to find ways to shut down AI in my life, not add it. It's not that I hate technology (I love it!), it's that I'm rather fonder of the planet:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/dec/23/ai-chat-gpt-environmental-impact-energy-carbon-intensive-technology

Fair enough. Going completely off grid is hard work though.

Shite article, doesn’t ever say how much carbon the tech uses. But it’ll doubtless be dwarfed by everything we buy or eat and our travel.

Cloud technology can’t use THAT much energy, or else the products would have to cost more to pay for it.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Ok so I watched the video… Mar 7

You literally copy and paste text into Pastey, which translates it using ChatGPT based on your predefined prompts, and then paste the translation back into your application.

It’s very basic and can’t handle formatting.

I can’t see any benefit over using ChatGPT directly. Which I wouldn’t do anyway, because my brain does it faster and better.

So now you know.

JaneD

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

ProzGPT?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »