Martin König
Martin König  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:20
Member (2007)
English to Czech
+ ...
Mar 29, 2012

Hello everyone,

My customer told me to open all files for translation (in Studio 2009) in TagEditor first, using supplied ini files, and then load them as a part of "Create new project process.
Well, if he says this is the easiest and safest way to preserve tags and formatting and..., its his choice.
But now - I got 601 files for translation and have the pleasant prospect of opening, assigning and "saving as" for about... one century?
I have read some forums he
... See more
Hello everyone,

My customer told me to open all files for translation (in Studio 2009) in TagEditor first, using supplied ini files, and then load them as a part of "Create new project process.
Well, if he says this is the easiest and safest way to preserve tags and formatting and..., its his choice.
But now - I got 601 files for translation and have the pleasant prospect of opening, assigning and "saving as" for about... one century?
I have read some forums here about the fact that Studio 2009 does not need any ini settings/files/hints etc, but when I try to load these files directly, I can not Open for translation it, so I probably need to obey.

Dont you accidentally anyone know how to open those damn files in TagEditor at once, automatically without the necessity of constant and time-consumming moving the mouse and clicking?

Thank you very much

Martin
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Studio and ini files... Mar 30, 2012

Hi Martin,

Studio doesn't need the ini files once you have created your TTX already and open the TTX in Studio... which is what your client asked you to do. So all you have to do is use either Workbench or TTXiT (an OpenExchange App) to create the TTX files from the ini you have been given. I don't know how many different ini files you have, but if they have been put together well you may be able to add these to the Workbench settings and then convert all 601 files to TTX at once.
... See more
Hi Martin,

Studio doesn't need the ini files once you have created your TTX already and open the TTX in Studio... which is what your client asked you to do. So all you have to do is use either Workbench or TTXiT (an OpenExchange App) to create the TTX files from the ini you have been given. I don't know how many different ini files you have, but if they have been put together well you may be able to add these to the Workbench settings and then convert all 601 files to TTX at once. If not then you would have to do them in batches appropriate to each ini that you needed to manually select.

Studio uses a filetype (similar to an ini but uses different technology). So if you have your TTX then there is a built in filetype for this and the settings from the ini will have already been applied when you created the TTX in Workbench (or TTXiT).

If you add the files directly to Studio without going to TTX first and they don't work then they are probably custom files of some sort and you would need to create the appropriate custom Studio filetype for them. But if your customer has done all of this for 2007 already then it would probably make sense to use these and avoid any problems and additional work.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Martin König
Member (2007)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem is to open it "at once" Mar 30, 2012

Hi Paul,
thank you for your prompt reply.
I know these things you wrote about, however I have no idea how to do it to eliminate the necessity of manually selecting the appropriate ini file while creating the ttx'ses in TagEditor.
I have copied the right setting (its only one HTML ini file) to the right folder, but TE still asks me to show the way to the ini.
Can you please advise me how to set it for opening all the files in TE at once?

Thanks a lot agai
... See more
Hi Paul,
thank you for your prompt reply.
I know these things you wrote about, however I have no idea how to do it to eliminate the necessity of manually selecting the appropriate ini file while creating the ttx'ses in TagEditor.
I have copied the right setting (its only one HTML ini file) to the right folder, but TE still asks me to show the way to the ini.
Can you please advise me how to set it for opening all the files in TE at once?

Thanks a lot again,

Martin
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Opening all files at once Mar 30, 2012

Martin König wrote:
...Dont you accidentally anyone know how to open those damn files in TagEditor at once, automatically without the necessity of constant and time-consumming moving the mouse and clicking?

Select all files, then Try dragging and dropping them into the empty TagEditor window, after selecting the ini file in Workbench (options>Tools tab>Tag settings button) and/or in TagEditor (Tools>Tag settings) as the default.

If it is the same ini file, maybe you could also try Glue/unglue in Programs>SDL...>Tools>SDL Trados Glue

Good luck,
Philippe

Edit: The Glue thing was a silly suggestion, you have to have ttx files first...

[Edited at 2012-03-30 09:30 GMT]

Martin König
Member (2007)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
still there instruk something weird... Mar 30, 2012

Thank you, Philippe,

Did what you wrote, selected the ini as default and then experienced exactly the same situation with the prompt/question if I want to select the ini manually.
The glueing operation is even better, the application always crashes.

Uh-huh, thank you anyway.

Zoltán Kulcsár
Zoltán Kulcsár  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
as already said... Mar 30, 2012

you don't need TagEditor, just TTXiT to create the ttx files in a batch with the correct ini file (though you may have to remove the default ini for that filetype in TTXiT)

[Módosítva: 2012-03-30 09:22 GMT]

Martin König
Member (2007)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well, Mar 30, 2012

It seems as if the TTXiT feature is the feature of Trados Studio 2011, whereas I still stick with my 2009's.

Zoltán Kulcsár
Zoltán Kulcsár  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
as already said... Mar 30, 2012

TTX it! is az OpenExchange application that supports both products (although it is bundled with Studio 2011)
http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/sdl-openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=1

Martin König
Member (2007)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oh, thanks! Mar 30, 2012

Lets hope this will be it!
(Will try a little later.)

Martin König
Member (2007)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much, Zoltán! Mar 30, 2012

It works, it works, it... works.

Martin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mass assignment of ini files in TagEditor

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »