Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Is it practical to use two CAT Tools or more?
Thread poster: Tzviya Levin Rifkind
Tzviya Levin Rifkind
Tzviya Levin Rifkind  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 18:53
Member (2009)
English to Hebrew
TOPIC STARTER
well, my situation is Nov 5, 2012

that I have many repetitions. I am a medical translator and work for many translation agencies. A large portion of my work is Clinical Trials documentation which has a lot of repetitions (not like in Heinrich's work), regardless who is the translation company or client.

I sometimes work in one tool and have to do a context search on the other tool. This is one thing I want to avoid, but I doubt if I can, in the light of the answers here.

All the TMs are mine. When I rec
... See more
that I have many repetitions. I am a medical translator and work for many translation agencies. A large portion of my work is Clinical Trials documentation which has a lot of repetitions (not like in Heinrich's work), regardless who is the translation company or client.

I sometimes work in one tool and have to do a context search on the other tool. This is one thing I want to avoid, but I doubt if I can, in the light of the answers here.

All the TMs are mine. When I receive a TM from a client I open a new TM on my tool for context search only, and discard it after completion of the project. The reason is that most of the TMs I receive in my language combination and domains (various medical fields) are of poor quality and full of mistakes. I usually don't use them at all.

For now, I refuse to work in an online tool which I can't download the TM from after a project is completed. TMs content is very valuable for me and I don't want to spend time more than once for a certain issue.

I am aware of the fact that if I work in an online tool the quality of my work will be compromised, and that's what I tell to the PMs who ask me to use such a tool. I don't think anybody will agree in advance to receive a lower quality job.
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 17:53
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Ultimately, you are the supplier, and you decide which tools you will or will not work with. Nov 5, 2012

Some years ago I told one client I simply would not work with their online tool.
It was just too nerve-wracking, and keeping to deadlines often meant working all night and compromising the quality of my work for the next client. We parted company, and I did not miss them.

Good medical translators don't hang on trees as a rule, and you should be able to find clients who do not force you to stand on your head and keep changing your routines all the time.

I only wor
... See more
Some years ago I told one client I simply would not work with their online tool.
It was just too nerve-wracking, and keeping to deadlines often meant working all night and compromising the quality of my work for the next client. We parted company, and I did not miss them.

Good medical translators don't hang on trees as a rule, and you should be able to find clients who do not force you to stand on your head and keep changing your routines all the time.

I only work with one CAT, which I really find is a good investment, although it does cost money every year. I have tried others, but I am not technically minded enough to be happy changing, and clients have to accept that.

Personally, I would choose one CAT or at the most two, and say that is what I work with. Clients can align texts if they want to, and I honestly think there is a limit to how far they can dictate that you must use this or that CAT. Just because we are the small suppliers at the end of the line, that does not mean we have to put up with anything.

The translation business actually depends on translators, and we should demand to have an influence on our own jobs and a say in how WE work best!

(I have just translated a piece on the working environment for a big manufacturing company. They would have the Trade Unions on their backs in a flash if the managers interfered in the way their skilled employees manage their machines...)

We need to be our own trade union and protect our own rights on the market, so good luck!

[Edited at 2012-11-05 20:48 GMT]
Collapse

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:53
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Export / import Nov 5, 2012

Tzviya Levin wrote:

Hello Paola,

How do handle the issue of splitting the TMs and glossaries? Do you have any trick to combine these resources?

For the memories, it's easy: export the memory in TMX format, reimport it in the other CAT tool, use, rinse and repeat.

Same really for glossaries: export to a format that the other tool can use (ideally, TBX), and so on.

Tzviya Levin Rifkind
Israel
Member (2009)
English to Hebrew
TOPIC STARTER
This is an interesting point of view, Christine Nov 5, 2012

It is quite obvious, but I didn't think about it this way.

Some month ago I started working with a very large translation agency which have a preferred tool, but it is not obligatory. I knew I can import the file specific to their tool to my tool of choice. Unfortunately, it is not possible to connect to the remote TM and also the new version of my tool have an export issues with these files. The other choice is to work on doc files which I can't import to my tool of choice. Working
... See more
It is quite obvious, but I didn't think about it this way.

Some month ago I started working with a very large translation agency which have a preferred tool, but it is not obligatory. I knew I can import the file specific to their tool to my tool of choice. Unfortunately, it is not possible to connect to the remote TM and also the new version of my tool have an export issues with these files. The other choice is to work on doc files which I can't import to my tool of choice. Working in doc is going back 5 years and giving up all the benefits of CAT tools, which I wouldn't do. I have seriously started thinking about buying their preferred tool, but continually updating TMs will be too nerve wrecking and time consuming.
Collapse

pcs_MCIL
pcs_MCIL
English to Italian
+ ...
To sum up... Nov 6, 2012

To sum up: it is not practical to use more than one CAT tool, both in terms of performance and money, it is simply a necessity for some of us.

I'm glad for those that can make their own rules!

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 22:53
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Convert? Nov 6, 2012

Tzviya Levin wrote:
The other choice is to work on doc files which I can't import to my tool of choice.

You can easily convert them, preferably to .docx. If your preferred tool can't handle .docx, I think you should start looking for another preferred tool…

Cheers,

Hans

Tzviya Levin Rifkind
Israel
Member (2009)
English to Hebrew
TOPIC STARTER
converting is easy for translation Nov 6, 2012

but I also do a lot of proofreading, and for these files I have to work in the doc/docx file.

My tool supports docx.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it practical to use two CAT Tools or more?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »