Netherlands
Local time: 22:15
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@SDL Nov 20, 2012

SDL Support wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
... Trados 2009/11 use tags only for formatting that it can't display in WYSIWIG format. ...

This is incorrect Samuel. Studio uses tags for all the formatting.

All right, so I should have said "Trados 2009/11 *displays* tags only for formatting that it can't display in WYSIWIG format" (and then add that this applies only if tags are hidden).

Thanks for your explanation of how the formatting tags work. You're right, it is important to be accurate when explaining this. However, I must say that the fact that tags are hidden by default is what lead me to believe that there were no tags, and I wonder how common this misconception is among other users.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
This is a good point that we do agree on... Nov 20, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:

However, I must say that the fact that tags are hidden by default is what lead me to believe that there were no tags, and I wonder how common this misconception is among other users.

I think this is a mistake too and the default should be to show all tags and formatting.

Regards

Paul

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@SDL 2 Nov 20, 2012

SDL Support wrote:
The toolbar you mistakenly call a wysiwyg toolbar is actually the QuickInsert toolbar. This is inserting tags or placeables for formatting or special characters.

I referred to it as the WYSIWIG toolbar because it behaves like one :–)

Oh... street html..! I tried to use what you did and then added some things to reflect some of the conversation going on.

I realise that if one does not use W3C HTML then one can expect some misbehaviour from software, although on the other hand the files we get from clients are not always 100% pure either. Here is my entire test file:

<html><i><p>Hello, <b>Dolly</i>!</i><p></html> (and variations of it)

... in fact, I originally thought about leaving out </html> because it is strictly speaking not required, but I have learnt from past experience that some HTML-capable tools do not recognise the HTML file if that tag is not closed, and so I included it. As far as I know, my test file is valid HTML 3.2, but I could be mistaken (hence the "street").

Eva Lens
Eva Lens
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 21, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:

I will be doing some research on how different CAT tools handle tags...

Why is that important to you? What would it matter how the tool handles tags?

I'm a translation student and I have to do some research on a specific element related to CAT tools for my translation technology class. Tags caught my interest.

Samuel and Paul, your discussion's been interesting. I do like that Trados 2011 gives you the four options for displaying tags, as you can switch between no or minimized tags for smoother reading of the text, while you can also view the full tags when necessary. The ctrl clicking to add the tags seems quite user-friendly to me as well. I do agree with both of you that making the tagless setting default was probably not the best idea.

Hans, I had never heard of CafeTran before, it looks quite interesting. I will definitely download the trial version and check it out. The number system seems so very different from what I've seen before, which makes it very suitable for a comparison with some other tools. Thanks!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT tools and tags

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »