Thread poster: Anja Biemann
Anja Biemann
Anja Biemann  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:45
French to German
+ ...
Jan 22, 2014

Hi, I just did my first translation in TStream. Now I saved the translation in the programme and closed it (also only in the programme). I now can't find the (new) .lwo file on my PC.
I made possibly a mistake while downloading the source file - it was converted in pdf I think.
What do I do now? I need to deliver the translation in 30 min!!!

Thanks for quick help!
anja

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Install Voidtools' Everything Jan 22, 2014

Anja Biemann wrote:
I now can't find the (new) .lwo file on my PC.

Whenever I can't find a file, I use Voidtools' program called "Everything". It creates a quick index of all file names on your hard drive and allows you to search for a file name in less than a second.

http://www.voidtools.com/download.php

Anja Biemann
Germany
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TStream Jan 22, 2014

thanks Samuel!
But the proble is a different one:

I downloaded the source file before having accepted the task, i think. After some trouble i could do the translation in the Editor, that is all fine.
I did the necessary checks and closed the file in the programme.
When I now go to the task in my xplanation account, I want to upload the translated file, but i can only find a pdf file with its name xxxxxxxxx.lwo, which I cannot open.
How can i upload the transl
... See more
thanks Samuel!
But the proble is a different one:

I downloaded the source file before having accepted the task, i think. After some trouble i could do the translation in the Editor, that is all fine.
I did the necessary checks and closed the file in the programme.
When I now go to the task in my xplanation account, I want to upload the translated file, but i can only find a pdf file with its name xxxxxxxxx.lwo, which I cannot open.
How can i upload the translation now? I didnt remove it from the editor yet...
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Anja Jan 22, 2014

Anja Biemann wrote:
When I now go to the task in my xplanation account, I want to upload the translated file, but I can only find a pdf file with its name xxxxxxxxx.lwo, which I cannot open. How can I upload the translation now? I didnt remove it from the editor yet...

I can't help you with that -- I don't know enough about TStream. I thought your problem was as simple as finding a file that the program had saved in an odd location.

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:45
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Where did you "Add..." your *.lwo from? Jan 22, 2014

Dear Anja,

if you haven't saved the downloaded *.lwo file in a separate folder and simply added it after creating the new project, the translated *.lwo file substitues the original *.lwo. Check the time next to the file you had downloaded, it'll be that of your last saving if you can't find the translated one anywhere.

(I normally save the *.lwo file I download in a "Source" folder and copy it in a "Target" folder I use for the import into TStream (I like to keep the or
... See more
Dear Anja,

if you haven't saved the downloaded *.lwo file in a separate folder and simply added it after creating the new project, the translated *.lwo file substitues the original *.lwo. Check the time next to the file you had downloaded, it'll be that of your last saving if you can't find the translated one anywhere.

(I normally save the *.lwo file I download in a "Source" folder and copy it in a "Target" folder I use for the import into TStream (I like to keep the original non-translated, just in case...) - after opening TStream, you have "New.." (project) (folder icon+) and then "Add..." (a file) (paper icon+) and here you browse your files and select the downloaded *.lwo. If you don't copy the downloaded *.lwo in another folder and add it as a file to your new project, the originally downloaded and non-translated file is substituted by the translated file.

If you have clicked on Save, the file is there. For sure.

BTW, PDFs are often included, part of the package, so I don't think you saved the *.lwo as a PDF (check the files listed in your tasks, there are several - according to project more or less, but each time at least a PDF, i.e. the PO )

Giuliana
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Giuliana Jan 22, 2014

Giuliana Buscaglione wrote:
BTW, PDFs are often included, part of the package, so I don't think you saved the *.lwo as a PDF (check the files listed in your tasks, there are several - according to project more or less, but each time at least a PDF, i.e. the PO )

I know nothing of TStream, but am I right that the LWO file is basically a zip file? Could it be that Anya's operating system treats it like a folder?

Giuliana Buscaglione
United States
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
LightWave Jan 22, 2014

Hallo Samuel,

a LightWave file. Having installed TStream, you don't need to double-click it and let Windows decide how to handle it (from here one could have display problems or Windows modify it). You simply add it directly in TStream. AFAIK, there are LWO file viewers (i.e. no way to modify them via translation and not sure whether the bilingual display could be there, too), but why the hassle? TStream is The tool for opening and working with them & handles them perfectly.
<
... See more
Hallo Samuel,

a LightWave file. Having installed TStream, you don't need to double-click it and let Windows decide how to handle it (from here one could have display problems or Windows modify it). You simply add it directly in TStream. AFAIK, there are LWO file viewers (i.e. no way to modify them via translation and not sure whether the bilingual display could be there, too), but why the hassle? TStream is The tool for opening and working with them & handles them perfectly.

Giuliana
Collapse

Anja Biemann
Germany
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
how to open? Jan 22, 2014

cara guiliana,
thanks for the reply.
I have the saved file on my desktop, but as a pdf that i cannot open, unfortunately.
so i fear, the agency won't be able to eather:/
i will try...

otherwise i will come back to you in a minute

tnx
anja

Giuliana Buscaglione
United States
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
How.Did.You.Manage?? Jan 22, 2014

Dear Anja,

Anja wrote:

I have the saved file on my desktop, but as a pdf that i cannot open, unfortunately.
so i fear, the agency won't be able to eather:/
i will try...

(smiling surprised) but How did you manage that? I have just gone thru options in my TStream, but couldn't find any way to save the translation file as a PDF or any other format. Only Save (as an icon or from the "File" dropdown or simply CTRL+S)

Giuliana

Anja Biemann
Germany
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I.dont.know. Jan 22, 2014

hey
I actually don't know.
I downloaded the file even BEFORE having installed TStream, since this is my very first assignment from xplanation. being curious about the text to translate, I first downloaded the file from my account and opened it. that occurred as a pdf I thnk, since tstream wasn't installed yet by that moment:/
after translating i saved an closed the text in the editor. i have a (hopefully) saved version on my desktop, but I have no clue. I uploaded it now and wa
... See more
hey
I actually don't know.
I downloaded the file even BEFORE having installed TStream, since this is my very first assignment from xplanation. being curious about the text to translate, I first downloaded the file from my account and opened it. that occurred as a pdf I thnk, since tstream wasn't installed yet by that moment:/
after translating i saved an closed the text in the editor. i have a (hopefully) saved version on my desktop, but I have no clue. I uploaded it now and wait for news from the PM..
Collapse

Giuliana Buscaglione
United States
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
argh... that's it Jan 22, 2014

.. being too curious is dangerous

To be honest I have never tried to open files other than LWOs in TStream (is it possible?! I'm on the final rush of proofreading a huge translation of mine and don't dare try to open the PDF of the original file attached to my project: are you sure you opened it as a PDF directly in TStream?!)

Giuliana

Anja Biemann
Germany
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Jan 22, 2014

since i couldnt open the file at first (without having tstream) i chose "open with" and adobe...

sorry, i'll have to leave now. Thanks again for your the helping advice!

ciao,
a

Wolfram Dennig
Wolfram Dennig
France
French to German
+ ...
Maybe that's the reason Jan 22, 2014

Hello Anja,

Have you read this at the bottom of page 9 of the Quick Start Guide ?

Important:
Don't forget to accept/reject the task in the Partner Web Interface
after previewing the file.
Please note that, even though you downloaded the file for preview,
you must download it again after accepting the task. If you don't, it will not be possible to subsequently upload your translation since the Upload button will not be activated.

Anja Biemann
Germany
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
problem solved - merci beaucoup ! Jan 22, 2014

Dear colleagues,

your hints were very helpful. I could delivery my translation now

Thanks for the support hear you soon,
anja

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:45
Spanish to English
+ ...
helpful PMs Jan 22, 2014

I often cooperate with the company that uses Tstream, and when I was just beginning to use it the PMs were very patient in walking me through this exact problem -- and a few others. I suggest you don't hesitate to ask the PMs whenever you have trouble, especially if you are a newbie. Their tech support people are very helpful as well. If you think you will hear from them again, there are some very useful videos on Youtube -- just Google Tstream + Youtube.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TStream

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »