Recommend a good GUI-based aligner with correction features
Thread poster: Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
Nov 9, 2015

Can you recommend a good, free or inexpensive GUI-based aligner with alignment correction features?

I mostly use WinAlign from SDL Trados Studio 2011 and like it when it does work, but recently it started to crash on me before even giving me a chance to save/export anything. LFAligner is not bad, but the GUI for corrections is confusing and error-prone. Any other options?

"Inexpensive" is whatever you think it is for a freelancing pro.

Andriy Bublikov
Andriy Bublikov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 15:55
French to Russian
+ ...

ABBYY Aligner Nov 9, 2015

Artem, you can try ABBYY Aligner

https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABBYY_Aligner

[Modifié le 2015-11-09 15:08 GMT]

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:55
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Thanks for the tip! Nov 9, 2015

Andriy Bublikov wrote:

Thanks for the tip Andriy,

I didn't know that "Aligner 2.0 Freelance" was free for freelance translators!

Michael

Artem Vakhitov
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Will try ABBYY Nov 9, 2015

Andriy Bublikov wrote:

Thank you, I've sent a request to ABBYY.

Artem Vakhitov
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ABBYY Aligner: First impressions—Why all the empty paras? Nov 9, 2015

I have downloaded and installed ABBYY Aligner and now am trying to align two documents.

The first thing I've noticed is that while the program produces results quickly, the results contain lots of empty paragraphs inside a segment, which I haven't experienced with WinAlign or LFAligner. Luckily, it does provide an opportunity to delete them using Replace function ("^p" wildcard), but this is rather slow. In fact, the two documents I'm aligning contain about 500,000 characters togeth
... See more
I have downloaded and installed ABBYY Aligner and now am trying to align two documents.

The first thing I've noticed is that while the program produces results quickly, the results contain lots of empty paragraphs inside a segment, which I haven't experienced with WinAlign or LFAligner. Luckily, it does provide an opportunity to delete them using Replace function ("^p" wildcard), but this is rather slow. In fact, the two documents I'm aligning contain about 500,000 characters together, and the replacement has already taken at least 15 min, and not even half of the work is done, given that the 1st target segment hasn't been replaced yet.
Collapse

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:55
English to Spanish
Stingray Nov 9, 2015

Get a free 30 days trial of Stingray Document Aligner from http://www.maxprograms.com/products/stingray.html

Regards,
Rodolfo

Artem Vakhitov
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trying Stingray now Nov 9, 2015

Rodolfo Raya wrote:

Get a free 30 days trial of Stingray Document Aligner from http://www.maxprograms.com/products/stingray.html

Regards,
Rodolfo

Thanks, trying it now.

Artem Vakhitov
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Stingray results: Negative Nov 9, 2015

I didn't like the initial alignment results with Stingray, nor did I like the correction UI. YMMV.

..... (X)
..... (X)
Local time: 21:55
Alignment option Nov 9, 2015

Hi Artem,

It sounds like the documents you are trying to align are rather long; however, if you have documents that are less than ~500 segments you might want to try TM-Town's alignment tool. Here is a video, you can see the GUI tool in action starting around 0:50.

It allows you to drag and drop segments, merge,
... See more
Hi Artem,

It sounds like the documents you are trying to align are rather long; however, if you have documents that are less than ~500 segments you might want to try TM-Town's alignment tool. Here is a video, you can see the GUI tool in action starting around 0:50.

It allows you to drag and drop segments, merge, split, delete, or edit the text of a segment and the vertical height of the boxes will resize after a change so that the source segment you are looking at on the left will be directly across from the target segment it will be aligned with on the right.

The GUI tool is limited to documents with less than 500 segments as it relies heavily on the performance of your browser (and thus your computer's CPU) to do calculations such as the resizing after a change. Therefore if your documents are large this would not be an option.

Kevin
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 19:55
English to Indonesian
+ ...
bitext2tmx Nov 10, 2015

I downloaded b2t a minute ago. It's free and cross-platform. There isn't much more I can tell you about it at this moment, but it looks like this:

Andras' LF_Aligner is pretty good, but for OS X, it lacks the GUI. So far, I prefer Kevin TM-Town's aligner, to the point it's probably worth the effort to split large files, and to merge the resulting TMX files.

Cheers,

Hans

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
It's a worry Nov 10, 2015

We first tried three merged files - more than 400 segments, around 5,000 words - in TM-Town. That wasn't feasible, it took way too long, as predicted by Kevin.

We then used bitext2tmx for the same file. It's horrible. The window is way too small, and the fact that all segments look the same led us (that's my daughter and me, and she does the actual work, of course) to the conclusion that dealing with the separate files in TM-Town would be both a lot faster and a lot better.
... See more
We first tried three merged files - more than 400 segments, around 5,000 words - in TM-Town. That wasn't feasible, it took way too long, as predicted by Kevin.

We then used bitext2tmx for the same file. It's horrible. The window is way too small, and the fact that all segments look the same led us (that's my daughter and me, and she does the actual work, of course) to the conclusion that dealing with the separate files in TM-Town would be both a lot faster and a lot better.

We then aligned the files using Andras' LF_Aligner, and did the editing in Heartsome's TMXEditor (also free). That wasn't too bad, except for the fact that TMXEditor lacks basic functionalities like join/split, and move up/down. It was doable, though. On a PC, you can edit the aligned files in LF_Aligner which does have the basic functions TMXEditor is lacking, but the interface looks like bitext2tmx, and as far as I know there's no edit interface at all for OS X (however, there is a choice in the Terminal to "Review", will try that tomorrow).

So far, the conclusion is that TM-Town is superior. There's a strong rumour Kevin is going to allow for batch editing. Now if that is true, and if you can upload large files to align that will then be split for editing, that would be our choice so far. Without a shadow of a doubt.

Cheers,

Hans
Collapse

..... (X)
..... (X)
Local time: 21:55
TM-Town aligner updated Nov 17, 2015

Today I released an updated version of TM-Town's alignment tool which should be able to support much longer documents (up to 4,000 segments). It is a lot more lightweight than the previous version (while still maintaining the same functionality) so it should also load smaller documents more quickly as well.

Kevin

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Confirmed Nov 17, 2015

Kevin Dias wrote:
...TM-Town's alignment tool which should be able to support much longer documents

Tried a minute ago with more than 600 TUs/1,200 segments. No problems at all.

Cheers,

Hans

Artem Vakhitov
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Excellent news Nov 17, 2015

Kevin Dias wrote:

Today I released an updated version of TM-Town's alignment tool which should be able to support much longer documents (up to 4,000 segments). It is a lot more lightweight than the previous version (while still maintaining the same functionality) so it should also load smaller documents more quickly as well.

Kevin

Interesting, will try your tool.

Artem Vakhitov
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My take on TM Town alignment tool Nov 17, 2015

Here's what I think about TM-Town alignment tool.

The reference documents I tried it on are fairly large and complex (38,368Kw/3120seg source vs. 46,638Kw/2864seg per TM-Town), but still I think manageable.

What was good:

- Uploading and processing took a reasonable time, smth. like 5 min each document.

- After I clicked Align, alignment results were available real quick, too.

- The UI controls for alignment correction are intuitiv
... See more
Here's what I think about TM-Town alignment tool.

The reference documents I tried it on are fairly large and complex (38,368Kw/3120seg source vs. 46,638Kw/2864seg per TM-Town), but still I think manageable.

What was good:

- Uploading and processing took a reasonable time, smth. like 5 min each document.

- After I clicked Align, alignment results were available real quick, too.

- The UI controls for alignment correction are intuitive.

Where's the room for improvement:

- Too much space is wasted for the same UI controls and spacing, yet segment fields are too small for the text, so they get scroll bars and I often cannot see the entire content of the segment without scrolling.

- There are too few segments on the page spaced too far from each other, which hurts readability and the context, something that is extremely important when correcting the alignment results as opposed to editing a TM with a loosely related set of segments.

- The initial segment count difference of about 10% got my attention. I looked at the end of the document, and sure enough, it was a mess there with source and target mixed in the target column.

- With operations such as segment splitting, the response time of a control was like several seconds—not acceptable.

I think that this tool has potential, but in the current form it's not quite ready for prime time.

UPDATE:
P.S.: Please disregard point 2 in "Where's the room for improvement". I've just realized that this was caused by a peculiar structure of the final section of the target document which, while making sense from the practical POV, is bound to confuse just about any aligner. Sorry for that.

[Edited at 2015-11-17 23:19 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Recommend a good GUI-based aligner with correction features

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »