Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15] >
Can the KudoZ term search function be improved? (staff: 'OK, improvements made')
Thread poster: Natalia Eklund
chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 09:44
Chinese to English
Chinese single-character words Apr 20, 2009

KudoZ Search doesn't work for a Chinese single-character word. Is it possible? Thanks.

Marek Daroszewski (MrMarDar)
Marek Daroszewski (MrMarDar)  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:44
English to Polish
+ ...
Please, improve it Apr 21, 2009

Hi Colin,
would you please look into the problem I described in detail in the link posted earlier.

The specific phrase I was trying to find was the Polish term plac składowy (=storage yard).

While entering the English phrase storage yard does in fact find the Polish term, it is not possible (or at least I was (and still am) unable) to find the English term (by tickin
... See more
Hi Colin,
would you please look into the problem I described in detail in the link posted earlier.

The specific phrase I was trying to find was the Polish term plac składowy (=storage yard).

While entering the English phrase storage yard does in fact find the Polish term, it is not possible (or at least I was (and still am) unable) to find the English term (by ticking off the Also search reverse language pair (target into source) box and entering the Polish term.

Hope you can help and sort this out.

Kindest,
Marek
Collapse

Elvira Alves Barry
Elvira Alves Barry  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:44
Member (2007)
Portuguese to English
examples of "match exact phrase" not working well Apr 21, 2009

Hi Colin,

OK, here are a couple of examples of the "match exact phrase" not functioning properly. In Portuguese to English, when I enter "contrato de empreitada" and request an exact match, I get 101 KOG results, 128 archive results, and 369 personal glossary results! Then I have to hunt for the exact phrase. Same thing for "conservatoria de registo comercial", I'm offered over 300 choices.

Thanks,
Elvira

Colin Brady
Colin Brady  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 18:44
French to English
+ ...
Updates coming soon Apr 21, 2009

Hi Everyone,

Thanks again to everyone for their feedback. I've been working on some updates to the term search that I will be posting soon. (Most likely tomorrow.)

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:44
Spanish to English
Duplicate entries showing Apr 22, 2009

Sometimes when I search in the glossary, the list of entries repeats itself (so, for example, it looks like 50 entries in the KOG section, but actually there are only 25 listed twice).

I have just searched for "régimen de propiedad" (Spanish to English) with match exact phrase, and the last entry is repeated, as well as the personal glossary entry related to it. Also, some people's personal glossary entries sometimes even appear three times. Is this some kind of bug?

Natalia Eklund
Natalia Eklund  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yay! Apr 22, 2009

Thanks a lot Colin! You're my hero!

Using the option "Search all likely character encodings" I searched 'Compte de Résultat' again. The results are much better: 4 exact matches appeared at the top of the list.

Out of curiosity I tried the plural, 'Comptes de Résultat'. The result was not as good. Normally I should at least find the singular entries easily. They were listed as 5th, 43rd and 47th in the KOG list.

Colin, as was mentioned, do accents have any
... See more
Thanks a lot Colin! You're my hero!

Using the option "Search all likely character encodings" I searched 'Compte de Résultat' again. The results are much better: 4 exact matches appeared at the top of the list.

Out of curiosity I tried the plural, 'Comptes de Résultat'. The result was not as good. Normally I should at least find the singular entries easily. They were listed as 5th, 43rd and 47th in the KOG list.

Colin, as was mentioned, do accents have any impact on the search or are they ignored?
Collapse

Kate Williams
Kate Williams
Spain
Spanish to English
Kudoz search Apr 23, 2009

What has happened to the drop down menu of subject areas in the term search?

I agree with the comments made on the forum that the results are not ranked in order of relevance, which wastes time (I also frequently use google or other dictionaries and only Proz in I need to double check/really can't find it). Now it seems that you can't narrow it down by choosing the subject area anymore either.

I also agree that the 'match exact term' option does not often work as it s
... See more

I agree with the comments made on the forum that the results are not ranked in order of relevance, which wastes time (I also frequently use google or other dictionaries and only Proz in I need to double check/really can't find it). Now it seems that you can't narrow it down by choosing the subject area anymore either.

I also agree that the 'match exact term' option does not often work as it should.
Collapse

Colin Brady
Argentina
French to English
+ ...
Updates made, still working on character set issues Apr 23, 2009

Hi All,

I've made some changes to the term search. It should now return more relevant results, and no longer show duplicates. I also removed the 468x60 advertisement.

There are still technical issues with character sets (those entries made prior to March 2006) that I am still working on.

Colin Brady
Argentina
French to English
+ ...
Advanced options are hidden by default, to simplify the form Apr 23, 2009

Hi Kate,

Please click "Advanced options" to specify field and question difficulty.

Kent Hyde
Kent Hyde  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:44
German to English
+ ...
Use less screen for the search Apr 23, 2009

I find it annoying to always have to scroll down to see whether there were any hits for my search term. I would rather see the search area more tightly concentrated at the top so that at least the beginning of the results occurs without having to scroll.

Kent Hyde
Kent Hyde  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
+ ...
German characters Apr 23, 2009

I would like to be able to search German words with umlauts by simply typing "ae," "ao" or "au" as well as "ss" for the Eszett. Dict.cc accommodates such searches and definitey speeds up data entry.

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
German to English
Subject area Apr 23, 2009

Kate Williams wrote:

Now it seems that you can't narrow it down by choosing the subject area anymore either.

Kate - I visit the Spanish/English pairs now and then and find that these pairs are particularly poorly managed when it comes to properly categorizing terms. More often than not, the asker will just select "other" for everything, and I haven't noticed much of an effort by others to recategorize these questions or ask the asker to be more diligent the next time. If you narrow your subject area, you're likely to find nothing.

R. Alex Jenkins
R. Alex Jenkins  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Indiscernible 'Search' button. Apr 23, 2009

Russell Jones wrote:

Another annoying feature is that the "Search" button is often out of view due to the advert above the search box. This was resolved some time ago after a forum discussion but has now reverted to the old problem. I know I can use the Enter button on my keyboard but what is the point of the button if you have to scroll down to use it?

Let me just reiterate this point. It's necessary to hunt around on the page for the 'Search' button now. It didn't use to be like that. It puts me off!

It's part of a standard web page 'form', so perhaps there is a problem in making it sit pretty on the page in larger dimensions (tech stuff), I'm not sure?

Personally, I'm adept enough at Kudoz search to accept these drawbacks, but I'm sure that newer visitors may find this indiscernible button somewhat confusing.

Abraços.

DIANNE BEREST
DIANNE BEREST  Identity Verified
Montenegro
Spanish to English
+ ...
i like the new format Apr 24, 2009

well, i like the new format - seems more streamlined and easier to see more results

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:14
German to English
New term search format Apr 24, 2009

Hi Colin,

I used the term search again today after not using it for a while. I like the new format - thanks a lot for making the changes. I will let you know if I notice anything that should be brought to your attention while searching for terms.

Thanks, again,
Niraja

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can the KudoZ term search function be improved? (staff: 'OK, improvements made')

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »