Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
What a single KudoZ question can do to you! (I've decided to call it a day)
Thread poster: Nesrin
delveneto
delveneto
United States
Local time: 08:57
English to Portuguese
+ ...
The Kudoz game Jul 27, 2009

Let me see:

- Askers who don't quite elaborate on their question.
- Answerers who don't quite read the questions.
- Peers who follow a copy-cat pattern in providing their agrees.
- Askers who go along with the majority without explaining what convinced him/her.

You forgot to mention:

- Askers who seem to choose an answer based more on personal reasons than technical ones.
- Answerers who follow a copy-cat pattern like changing almost
... See more
Let me see:

- Askers who don't quite elaborate on their question.
- Answerers who don't quite read the questions.
- Peers who follow a copy-cat pattern in providing their agrees.
- Askers who go along with the majority without explaining what convinced him/her.

You forgot to mention:

- Askers who seem to choose an answer based more on personal reasons than technical ones.
- Answerers who follow a copy-cat pattern like changing almost nothing in their answer when compared to a previous one instead of agreeing with the previous answer and thus trying to lure the lost asker to choose its "improved" answer (and many times the trick works just fine).
- Askers who make some very weird choices that I really doubt that they really used that chosen answer in their final translation.

Well, that is KudoZ. In less than a month after I started using Kudoz (So far only answering questions), I had already had more than a few "bad experiences" that left me... let's say... very upset, I understood that I needed to get used to it or far away from it. That is my advice.
Collapse

hazmatgerman (X)
hazmatgerman (X)
Local time: 14:57
English to German
@Nesrin Jul 27, 2009

Better late than never.
Regards.

Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
Local time: 14:57
English to German
+ ...
Interesting ... Jul 27, 2009

Jacqueline Sieben wrote:

I always give points to everyone who has answered the question.

How do you do it?

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 15:57
French to English
+ ...
Don't give up - your contribution is important Jul 27, 2009

Nesrin wrote:
So now, after about six years of being an active and enthusiastic participant in the Kudoz system, I've decided to call it a day, after a single question proved to be that proverbial straw ...

Hi Nesrin,
Indeed, it is frustrating to see stupidity and ignorance repeatedly win. So what?
You can be absolutely sure that your input will be very highly appreciated by more discerning viewers of the post. If not, at least they were given the choice to judge the answer on its own merits.
Contributing to the KudoZ in order to get the points or be given credit for being right is sure to lead to disappointment.
Your contribution is important for the hundreds of (silent) colleagues that are guided by your explanations and correct answers rather than choose the wrong ones for lack of a better choice.
You stop the dissemination of crap (as Marina would put it).

This is your reward.

Marina Aleyeva
Marina Aleyeva  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 15:57
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Wise Jul 27, 2009

Sangro wrote:
Contributing to the KudoZ in order to get the points or be given credit for being right is sure to lead to disappointment.

That's a wise approach, Sangro! I am fully with you.

Personally, I find it satisfying that, once I have an answer to a KudoZ question, particularly the one that takes extensive research and/or a good deal of thinking, I am one step forward on the route to my personal growth as a translator. More than once have I realised that a question that I once answered on KudoZ is no longer a question for me when it comes to real work. I get both my glossaries and my knowledge expanded thus becoming a better and more knowledgeable translator, redardless whether I get others' support or not.

Anne-Marie Grant (X)
Anne-Marie Grant (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:57
French to English
+ ...
I totally agree with Sangro and Marina. Jul 27, 2009

Approach Kudoz as a helpful tool for your ongoing professional development. If the asker fails to appreciate your brilliance it doesn't matter because you can learn something new on every question - even if it's just 'how quickly can I answer this one?'

[Edited at 2009-07-27 21:58 GMT]

Jenn Mercer
Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:57
Member (2009)
French to English
A healthy break Jul 27, 2009

I agree that anyone who has grown frustrated with answering KudoZ should take a break, however I am incredibly grateful to the KudoZ system. I know the answers aren't always right, but when the word or phrase is not in any dictionary, translation can be a lonely job. When I do a KudoZ term search or (rarely) ask a question of my own, I look at the answers provided in the context of my own knowledge and the hints that I have been able to find. Then I take what I hope to be the right answer and ex... See more
I agree that anyone who has grown frustrated with answering KudoZ should take a break, however I am incredibly grateful to the KudoZ system. I know the answers aren't always right, but when the word or phrase is not in any dictionary, translation can be a lonely job. When I do a KudoZ term search or (rarely) ask a question of my own, I look at the answers provided in the context of my own knowledge and the hints that I have been able to find. Then I take what I hope to be the right answer and examine it in terms of the context of my own project and a search of the internet at large. If KudoZ always found the right answer, there would be no need for professional translators. There always has to be a certain amount of thinking expended by the end user of the system.Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What a single KudoZ question can do to you! (I've decided to call it a day)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »