Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Info about asker vs. info about answerers - why not the same?
Thread poster: Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:38
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The purpose of the info Sep 10, 2009

While Madeleine has an interesting point, I wanted to clarify that my motivation for asking the question and requesting the same info to be displayed for askers and answerers did not stem from not wanting to help the asker, quite the contrary.

I am still waiting for an answer on this:
When trying to help the asker, when providing an answer to the given question, in what way is the asker's previous KudoZ activity more useful to know than the native language and the specialization of the asker?

Katalin

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Not really non-relevant information imo Sep 10, 2009

Enrique wrote:

I also consider that adding information about the askers' native language, their KudoZ points in the specialty and the fact that they specialize in that field would add little value to the function of helping a potential answerer provide help to the asker.

Non-relevant information clutters the interface for all users. Potential answerers interested in this kind of information have it one click away in the asker's profile.

Regards,
Enrique

Until a few days ago, we could see Askers' (declared) native language. Suddenly we only see their name and where they are.
Answerers' profiles are just a click away for Askers-so why is so much cluttering info showing about Answerers?
And: does this mean that 100% empty profiles will no longer be allowed?

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:38
English to Turkish
+ ...
But there is this point that supports the status quo Sep 10, 2009

You can filter out askers as an answerer, while the reverse is not the case.

So, I suggest:

-enrich the criteria for filtering out askers, if needed
-add the ability to filter out answerers as an asker

And may I add a 'pretty please' to the latter?

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Filtering is a different topic, IMHO Sep 10, 2009

The original question and request had nothing to do with filtering out askers (or answerers). It concerns how the question page is displayed, and requests the same type of information be provided about both the askers and answerers.

I kindly ask those that want to discuss filtering, or how NOT to help the asker to open a separate thread. Thanks.
Katalin

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:38
English to Turkish
+ ...
Filtering is relevant in one way Sep 10, 2009

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:

The original question and request had nothing to do with filtering out askers (or answerers). It concerns how the question page is displayed, and requests the same type of information be provided about both the askers and answerers.

I kindly ask those that want to discuss filtering, or how NOT to help the asker to open a separate thread. Thanks.
Katalin

Katalin, your comment may be true for the second suggestion I made above while I was on the subject, but I find the current ability of filtering relevant to this discussion as it levels things: presently, you can filter out askers, so you don't need to see the related info about them each time; and you can't filter out answerers beforehand, so the info is there to help you choose or make a more 'educated decision.' Thus, enriching the criteria for filtering askers may help instead to level the situation better.

[Edited at 2009-09-10 12:48 GMT]

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It is not about filtering Sep 10, 2009

Özden, the filtering of askers you mentioned is only possible on an individual basis. You have to provide the person's ID to filter out his/her questions.
But again, I am not talking about this at all. I am NOT focusing on features with the purpose of NOT providing help to the asker.

All I am saying is that while providing the native language and the specialization of the answerer may help the asker choosing the best answer, providing the native language and the specializatio
... See more
Özden, the filtering of askers you mentioned is only possible on an individual basis. You have to provide the person's ID to filter out his/her questions.
But again, I am not talking about this at all. I am NOT focusing on features with the purpose of NOT providing help to the asker.

All I am saying is that while providing the native language and the specialization of the answerer may help the asker choosing the best answer, providing the native language and the specialization of the asker may help the answerers providing better help.

In my opinion, displaying the native language and the specialization of the asker is not "clutter", and has much more relevance to providing better help than let's say the Local time of the person, or his/her previous KudoZ activity.

I am still waiting to hear somebody tell me what functional (not cosmetic) disadvantage would it bring if these two pieces of info (native language and whether he/she specializes in the field) were displayed about the asker.

Katalin

[Edited at 2009-09-10 14:36 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Info about asker vs. info about answerers - why not the same?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »