Ildiko Santana
Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:38
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

Could someone from ProZ staff please explain... May 31, 2010

...what purpose this feature serves? What is the point of this "confidence level" box? Shouldn't the KudoZ help section be about professionals assisting each other in tough translation problems instead of self-marketing? ((I actually received a "disagree" once from a peer, with this comment: "your confidence level is way too high")) I personally would welcome the elimination of this field altogether. I would also rid the KudoZ system of the time stamp, as it only encourages hasty, unfounded res... See more
...what purpose this feature serves? What is the point of this "confidence level" box? Shouldn't the KudoZ help section be about professionals assisting each other in tough translation problems instead of self-marketing? ((I actually received a "disagree" once from a peer, with this comment: "your confidence level is way too high")) I personally would welcome the elimination of this field altogether. I would also rid the KudoZ system of the time stamp, as it only encourages hasty, unfounded responses, full of typos and lacking sufficient explanations and references, which more often than not are selected as "best", because they were *first*, while much better answers that are backed with research, explanation and useful references are always "slow" since it does take time to type up something worthy of submission.
Sorry, I got a little sidetracked there. I would be very interested in reading staff's explanation regarding the 'confidence level' feature and how it relates to translation accuracy. Thank you!
Collapse

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:38
French to German
+ ...
Not a linguistic comment May 31, 2010

ildiko wrote:

...what purpose this feature serves? What is the point of this "confidence level" box? Shouldn't the KudoZ help section be about professionals assisting each other in tough translation problems instead of self-marketing? ((I actually received a "disagree" once from a peer, with this comment: "your confidence level is way too high"))

"Your confidence level is way too high" is not a linguistic comment either, it borders on personal judgement. I thought that this should be avoided by all means?

Stéphanie Soudais
Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Comments must be linguistic May 31, 2010

ildiko wrote:

I actually received a "disagree" once from a peer, with this comment: "your confidence level is way too high"

Please see the following FAQ:

4.5 - Can I comment on an answerer's confidence level in my peer comment?
No. Peer comments should be purely linguistic in nature (see KudoZ rule 3.5). Making comments or insinuations regarding an answerer's confidence level would not be in line with KudoZ rule 3.7.
http://www.proz.com/faq/9710#9710

farmor
farmor
Danish to English
Depends on the answerer Jun 8, 2010

I agree with Christine that it depends on the answerer and the sense one has about the particular answerer. As it were, I just rated an answer with a 5, but it's the first time I have done so. Usually, I rate at a 3 or 4 confidence level. Only rarely do I play around in KudoZ, for I don't have the time.

I have only asked two PRO questions and I would never insert the suggested answer into my translation without first checking and then double checking.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is Confidence Level Objective?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »