Thread poster: Isabel Cisneiros
Isabel Cisneiros
Isabel Cisneiros
Portugal
Local time: 04:19
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Feb 11, 2011

I like very much to help fellow translators through Kudoz and am proud to said helped a lot, in just 1 month since I joined Proz.com, but yesterday when I was checking the questions asked, I was chocked to realize that there is one lady who is cutting paragraphs in smaller parts, and asking each one of them in Kudoz...by other words, she will have the translation job made by the people who are giving her the answers.

Is this frequent in Proz.com?

I asked for support ab
... See more
I like very much to help fellow translators through Kudoz and am proud to said helped a lot, in just 1 month since I joined Proz.com, but yesterday when I was checking the questions asked, I was chocked to realize that there is one lady who is cutting paragraphs in smaller parts, and asking each one of them in Kudoz...by other words, she will have the translation job made by the people who are giving her the answers.

Is this frequent in Proz.com?

I asked for support about this, but got no answer back...
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 05:19
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Isabel Feb 12, 2011

Yes, it is abuse. In case there is a link to the moderator in this pair (at the bottom of the page), please use it. If there is no moderator in the pair, please call any moderator in adjacent pairs.

Thanks,
Natalia

Oleg Delendyk
Oleg Delendyk
Ukraine
Local time: 06:19
English to Russian
+ ...
I am reading for first time Feb 12, 2011

about such situation. This is very comic. I don't see that the lady will make a good career using this method.

[Редактировалось 2011-02-12 19:30 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, unfortunately it is frequent... Feb 12, 2011

... and my attitude is: no answer!

Isabel Cisneiros
Isabel Cisneiros
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Me too, but other people didn't notice and answered Feb 12, 2011

I agree with you, fortunately I was out for the whole afternoon, and when I started answering Kudoz I realized there where lots in my Inbos that where almost intire phrases and as I opened each I was getting more and more surprised and went back to the first to check who the asker was, and as I did it for each one, I verified that it was the same lady in all of them.

Of course, she already had answers (sometimes, 4 different ones) to all the questions...but I thought I should ask if
... See more
I agree with you, fortunately I was out for the whole afternoon, and when I started answering Kudoz I realized there where lots in my Inbos that where almost intire phrases and as I opened each I was getting more and more surprised and went back to the first to check who the asker was, and as I did it for each one, I verified that it was the same lady in all of them.

Of course, she already had answers (sometimes, 4 different ones) to all the questions...but I thought I should ask if it is allowed to do so.

And as she did it again today, I thought it would be better to put the question also here, so much more people will know this is happening.

As I said, I'm glad to HELP, not to be taken for sucker!

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't think this is correct!
Thanks for agreeing

Isabel

Teresa Borges wrote:

... and my attitude is: no answer!
Collapse

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Shocking but... Feb 12, 2011

she's not the first and I doubt she'll be the last.

Mónica Machado
Mónica Machado
United Kingdom
English to Portuguese
+ ...
too common Feb 12, 2011

Hi Isabel,

Yes that's common and it always was. That abuse and a few others related to it made me to go away from Kudoz in 2002 So it is a long and old issue but as far as people visit Proz to ask silly questions they are increasing traffic.

Cada vez é mais difícil separar o trigo do joio e acaba por pagar o justo pelo pecador. Para bom e
... See more
Hi Isabel,

Yes that's common and it always was. That abuse and a few others related to it made me to go away from Kudoz in 2002 So it is a long and old issue but as far as people visit Proz to ask silly questions they are increasing traffic.

Cada vez é mais difícil separar o trigo do joio e acaba por pagar o justo pelo pecador. Para bom entendedor, meia palavra basta.

Cumprimentos
Mónica
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
10 words Feb 12, 2011

Natalie wrote:

Yes, it is abuse. In case there is a link to the moderator in this pair (at the bottom of the page), please use it. If there is no moderator in the pair, please call any moderator in adjacent pairs.

Thanks,
Natalia

Some moderators just reply that as long as the question isn't more than 10 words, it isn't considered abuse. So they get away with it !

Personally I just never answer such questions.

It happens a lot.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
deleted Feb 12, 2011

superfluous post

[Edited at 2011-02-13 07:37 GMT]

Aude Sylvain
Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
long questions posted in a row Feb 12, 2011

Tom in London wrote:

Natalie wrote:

Thanks,
Natalia

In the Italian to English section I see this happening quite frequently. But when I notify it to a Moderator the answer is always "up to 10 words is ok" so now I just don't answer.

While I agree with Tom that most questions with 9 (!) words should not be posted anyway, I think the problem Isabel is describing is worse.

As far as I understand, the Kudoz Asker posted 1) sentences (presumably less than 10 w.) and 2) a number of them so all her questions, put together, would correspond to a text/part of a text.

Natalia, rules are not clear on that point. Do moderators have the ability to squash questions based on the fact that they come in a row in such conditions that this, by itself, constitutes an abuse, even if each of them, individually, is compliant with the 10-word rule?
i.e. are they able to consider that some questions are abusive due to specific circumstances, even though they seem to comply with the K rules?

Thank you
Aude

imatahan
imatahan  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:19
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Hi, Isabel Feb 13, 2011

Teresa, we know that it is not an exception, unhappily!

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 12:19
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Abuse?? Feb 13, 2011

I didn't realize that this kind of behavior would be considered abuse, since it happens all the time in many language pairs that you stop noticing it's actually abusing the system...

[Edited at 2011-02-13 06:10 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Plain simple: filter her Feb 13, 2011

Instead of worrying about this (which has been happening ever since Kudoz exists), simply use the Dashboard in Kudoz to filter this person so that you don't have to see her doings.

In Spain we have a saying (which surely exists with a different wording in your country): "Ojos que no ven, corazón que no siente" (Eyes not seeing, heart not suffering.)

Stéphanie Soudais
Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Regarding the 10-word rule Feb 13, 2011

Hello

The Kudoz FAQ states: "A group of words (up to approximately 10) should be posted in a single question only when they constitute an unbreakable unit, such as an idiomatic expression (e.g. 'a jack of all trades and master of none') that may be several words long and where omitting any part would not formulate the question correctly."

http://www.proz.com/faq/2896#2896
... See more
Hello

The Kudoz FAQ states: "A group of words (up to approximately 10) should be posted in a single question only when they constitute an unbreakable unit, such as an idiomatic expression (e.g. 'a jack of all trades and master of none') that may be several words long and where omitting any part would not formulate the question correctly."

http://www.proz.com/faq/2896#2896

This means that sometimes less-than-10-word sentences can and should be removed.

Stéphanie
Collapse

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Now that's an interesting question Feb 13, 2011

Aude Sylvain wrote:

(.../...)
Natalia, rules are not clear on that point. Do moderators have the ability to squash questions based on the fact that they come in a row in such conditions that this, by itself, constitutes an abuse, even if each of them, individually, is compliant with the 10-word rule?
i.e. are they able to consider that some questions are abusive due to specific circumstances, even though they seem to comply with the K rules?

Thank you
Aude

I too would like to know whether circumstantial evidence is taken into account or not for squashing questions.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it abuse or not?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »