Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14] >
What is the highest number of KudoZ questions asked by a single individual?
Thread poster: Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:58
Hebrew to English
TOPIC STARTER
New thread May 24, 2012

psicutrinius wrote: a new thread should be opened, both about paying/non paying members and/or pseudonyms.

Thanks! Took the words right out of my mouth. I actually believe the pseudonym debate is a very interesting one, so I'll be starting a new thread about this myself. So, if you have any more to say on the subject, please migrate over to this new thread....

psicutrinius
psicutrinius  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:58
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
+ ...
By the way... May 24, 2012

I see that we are now at slightly over 90 posts (which in my book signal a really hot and widespread interesting topic), and no ProZ staff seem to have noticed yet?

Rob Grayson
Rob Grayson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
Perhaps… May 24, 2012

…we should open up the betting on how long this thread _will_ be allowed to stand once it is noticed by site staff.

psicutrinius
psicutrinius  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
+ ...
@Rob May 24, 2012

You make a sensible point here, and I am quite a nerd with such matters, so I will ask: Is there any way of copying/keeping the thread in my PC?. Just in case...

Rob Grayson
United Kingdom
French to English
Not sure… May 24, 2012

I suppose you could save the whole thing as an html file, or failing that, screenshots…

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:58
English to German
+ ...
we need to increase quality, not restrict it! May 24, 2012

Lisa Simpson, MCIL wrote:

Hear, hear!

I've already filtered questions from non-members but I would also vote for the following filter criteria to be added:

1) questions from people translating into their non-native language.
2) questions from askers with pseudonyms. I see many askers hiding behind a pseudonym so their lack of competence isn’t on public show. I personally don't see room for anonymity on this site.

[Edited at 2012-05-23 11:56 GMT]

As was commented in another thread, being a member or non-member or, for that matter, a "P" or a "Non-P", are not necessarily indicators for how good or bad you are as a translator or how good or bad/silly/embarrassing etc. your questions or answers are in KudoZ.
There are many people who used to be members but are not anymore, for various reasons. Some of them are pretty good translators, and have contributed lots to this site over the years.
Whenever somebody contributes something sensible, everybody wins.
I see nothing wrong with non-members being able to ask questions or answer questions in KudoZ.

When it comes to KudoZ, you have to learn whom you can trust for good answers and whom you cannot trust. That doesn't have too much to do with a big red thing in front of someone's name. On the contrary, the number of P's is going up but I don't think I can say the same about the quality of questions and answers in KudoZ.

However, I don't see how restrictions as the ones Lisa suggests can improve the quality. There are people with pseudonyms that are very knowledgeable and they don't "hide" because of incompetence, and there are the ones who do give their name but are not necessarily that good.

B

[Edited at 2012-05-24 15:33 GMT]

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:58
English to Spanish
Save each page of the thread in succession May 24, 2012

Rob Grayson wrote:
Perhaps... we should open up the betting on how long this thread _will_ be allowed to stand once it is noticed by site staff.

psicutrinius wrote:
You make a sensible point here, and I am quite a nerd with such matters, so I will ask: Is there any way of copying/keeping the thread in my PC?. Just in case...

Save each page of the thread as a web archive (.mht):

1. Go to page 1, save it, adding the page number at the end of the file name (...1)

2. Go to page 2, save it, adding the page number at the end of the file name (...2)

Keep doing it until you have have saved all pages.

And keep a note of where you saved the pages!

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:58
English to German
+ ...
on the topic of high numbers of KudoZ questions May 24, 2012

Paying members can ask more questions than non-paying members. And many do. I don't assume questions asked by members are automatically "better/more sophisticated" than those of non-members.

In general, the number of proz.com users has increased, and so has the number of KudoZ questions.

As long as those KudoZ users who seem to need a lot of help, keep asking, there will be KudoZ users who answer.

As of late, questions asked and answers given seem to be of
... See more
Paying members can ask more questions than non-paying members. And many do. I don't assume questions asked by members are automatically "better/more sophisticated" than those of non-members.

In general, the number of proz.com users has increased, and so has the number of KudoZ questions.

As long as those KudoZ users who seem to need a lot of help, keep asking, there will be KudoZ users who answer.

As of late, questions asked and answers given seem to be of a more basic kind (from my point of view) and, a worse development, more very bad answers for any type of question (sophisticated or unsophisticated) can be found. I am pretty sure it has to do with increased numbers of Proz.com users and KudoZ users who do not have that much translating experience, be they Proz.com members or non-members.

Restricting non-members is not going to change that.

B

[Edited at 2012-05-25 05:25 GMT]
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Oksana Weiss
Oksana Weiss  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2011)
German to English
+ ...
The new record is 8809 and counting! May 26, 2012

Daniel Grau wrote:
The above search will only work for translators who have chosen to display their KudoZ Activity in their profiles.

Thanks Daniel, that was revealing! So, 4027 is not the record after all, but rather 8809! In my language pair it is 5942 vs 46 questions asked...

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
About the 8809 questions May 26, 2012

I think it is not fair to call them KudoZ questions. If you take a closer look, you will notice that those entries were glossary building questions (the GBK Program), posted in about a gazillion different language pairs each. Those questions are by no means related to any translation help, there were posted as a challenge.

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
TOPIC STARTER
Shiver me timbers! May 26, 2012

Thanks Daniel, that is indeed revealing! I agree with Nicole that including the "top" number isn't really fair since it is clear it is part of the KGB (KudoZ Glossary Building not the old Russian Intelligence Service) - although I'm sure they are both equally sinister

Discounting this, then the individual that Oksana refers to clearly holds the all time record with almost 6000 questions asked. Although w
... See more
Thanks Daniel, that is indeed revealing! I agree with Nicole that including the "top" number isn't really fair since it is clear it is part of the KGB (KudoZ Glossary Building not the old Russian Intelligence Service) - although I'm sure they are both equally sinister

Discounting this, then the individual that Oksana refers to clearly holds the all time record with almost 6000 questions asked. Although with only 5 questions asked so far this year, the pace of their questions may have slowed, whereas there are other askers who seem to just be getting warmed up with over 4000....
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Rob Grayson
United Kingdom
French to English
Another challenge... May 26, 2012

So then, given that we now seem to have identified those who have posted the most questions, would anyone care to work out who holds the record for the lowest ratio of questions answered to questions asked?

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Tricky. May 26, 2012

Rob Grayson wrote:

So then, given that we now seem to have identified those who have posted the most questions, would anyone care to work out who holds the record for the lowest ratio of questions answered to questions asked?

You need to rephrase this question:

"Who has answered the most questions successfully while asking hardly any questions him/herself?"

Because the fine line between true altruists and relentless point-grabbers might be a little bit spoiled.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the highest number of KudoZ questions asked by a single individual?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »