Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Is interaction among team members allowed in KudoZ?
Thread poster: Mira Stepanovic
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:43
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I'd like to make a comment Oct 22, 2012

I'm all for transparency, Mira, but I do believe that flexibility and common sense are just as important. You are asking ProZ.com to be straitjacketed by its own rules by asking for an absolute black & white answer to this question.

A few comments:
- teams are generally thought to be a good thing
- most KudoZ use is for the good of all; only a very small element is abuse
- team members do not spend all their time working together - they work as individuals, too
... See more
I'm all for transparency, Mira, but I do believe that flexibility and common sense are just as important. You are asking ProZ.com to be straitjacketed by its own rules by asking for an absolute black & white answer to this question.

A few comments:
- team members do not spend all their time working together - they work as individuals, too
- when working as individuals they have a right to post on KudoZ and accept input from anyone and everyone
- teams come and go and change; though I imagine ProZ.com CAN monitor membership I doubt it's something they would wish to do regularly, nor would there be reason for it

Unless your accusation of unfair KudoZ practice is a common complaint (I have no idea whether it is), it would be logical to assume that most KudoZ activity by team members is within the rules. Wouldn't it therefore be better to deal with this one alleged offender in isolation? A simple support ticket will result in this team being investigated.

If you were to succeed in forcing ProZ.com staff to implement a ruling that team members may never participate on the same KudoZ questions, then you would be initiating extra functionality for the site, extra monitoring by staff to keep track of all teams and their KudoZ use, limiting the use of Kudoz by all those team members who weren't misusing it in the first place...

All for the want of one support ticket regarding one alleged offender?
Collapse

Mira Stepanovic
Mira Stepanovic  Identity Verified
Serbia
Local time: 18:43
English to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sheila Oct 23, 2012

for your comment.

I definitely agree with you here:
Sheila Wilson wrote:
A few comments:
- when working as individuals they have a right to post on KudoZ and accept input from anyone and everyone

- teams come and go and change; though I imagine ProZ.com CAN monitor membership I doubt it's something they would wish to do regularly, nor would there be reason for it

There is no need to monitor membership of course, my question was related to interaction of team members.

Unless your accusation of unfair KudoZ practice is a common complaint (I have no idea whether it is), it would be logical to assume that most KudoZ activity by team members is within the rules. Wouldn't it therefore be better to deal with this one alleged offender in isolation? A simple support ticket will result in this team being investigated.

No, it is not a common complaint. A support ticket is a good idea however it would require a huge amount of time to gather among numerous KudoZ questions/answers and present to Staff all cases of abuse during the past several years .

Please bear in mind that I work in very small language pairs with a relatively small number of participants in KudoZ. I believe that on average not more than ten questions are posted daily. It is therefore very easy to notice all patterns of behaviour displayed by certain users - in fact it would be impossible not to notice them.

If you were to succeed in forcing ProZ.com staff to implement a ruling that team members may never participate on the same KudoZ questions, then you would be initiating extra functionality for the site, extra monitoring by staff to keep track of all teams and their KudoZ use, limiting the use of Kudoz by all those team members who weren't misusing it in the first place...

Perhaps I was not clear enough, sorry. Of course, I never had in mind that team members should never participate on the same KudoZ questions. What I mean by "interaction of team members" is mutual peer commenting, agreeing with the answer posted by a member of the same team. In a small language pair, one or two "agrees" makes a huge difference. No extra functionality for the site is required, the site developers did a great job, it is possible to limit interaction of team members by only one click. This also solves the problem of extra monitoring.

The following is from my first post in this thread:
http://www.proz.com/faq/142454#142454
In line with general site rule #2, while friends, family or close associates can simultaneously participate at ProZ.com, this participation should not be carried out among these profiles in order to maintain a certain level of transparency.
Friends, family or close associates are invited to participate in KudoZ, discuss topic of interest in forums, leave feedback on service providers or outsourcers. However, this interaction should not be carried out to gain unfair advantage.

I am wrong to believe that team members are close associates?

Mira

[Edited at 2012-10-23 13:57 GMT]

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:43
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Perhaps the rule could be clearer? Oct 23, 2012

Mira Stepanovic wrote:
Sheila Wilson wrote:

There is no need to monitor membership of course, my question was related to interaction of team members.

I was referring to TEAM membership. Sorry for not spelling it out
I never had in mind that team members should never participate on the same KudoZ questions. What I mean by "interaction of team members" is mutual peer commenting, agreeing with the answer posted by a member of the same team.

But isn't that a contradiction? Participating in KudoZ terms involves agreeing as well as disagreeing and discussing.
http://www.proz.com/faq/142454#142454
In line with general site rule #2, while friends, family or close associates can simultaneously participate at ProZ.com, this participation should not be carried out among these profiles in order to maintain a certain level of transparency.
Friends, family or close associates are invited to participate in KudoZ, discuss topic of interest in forums, leave feedback on service providers or outsourcers. However, this interaction should not be carried out to gain unfair advantage.

I agree that the wording of the rule could be improved as it seems a little unclear: "can simultaneously participate" yet "participation should not be carried out among these profiles"? Perhaps it could logically be shortened to read:
"In line with general site rule #2, while friends, family or close associates can simultaneously participate at ProZ.com, this participation should not be carried out to gain unfair advantage."

But I think it's the wording of the rule that's at fault here, if indeed there is any fault. It seems to me that Lucia has explained clearly that a support ticket is the way to go. I'm sure staff neither want nor need to be bombarded with support tickets every time anything is posted on KudoZ: if you give them a team name and some idea of why there seemed to you to be abuse, staff will easily be able to track all the participation of all the team members to see whether your fears seem well-founded.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is interaction among team members allowed in KudoZ?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »