Awarding Kudoz points
De persoon die dit onderwerp heeft geplaatst: vaglo
vaglo
vaglo
Local time: 17:23
Engels naar Russisch
Jan 21, 2013

Hello! I started using Kudoz not long ago. I don't know if this question was asked before... If I want to ask a Kudoz question and want the best answer to get points, but unable to decide myself which answer is the best -- can the answer which received most agreements be awarded points automatically? If yes, where is this setting? Cause I see only two- either you should choose the best answer yourself and award points or it is not-for-points question. Thanks in advance.

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Zweden
Local time: 13:23
Lid 2000
Duits naar Zweeds
+ ...
In memoriam
KudoZ for the answer helping you most Jan 21, 2013

is the principle for awarding KudoZ points.

Hi,

It exists no 'best answer'.
The answer which for you is the "most helpful" answer is the one which should receive your KudoZ points.

Subjective? Yes indeed.
It wraps up the core idea of the KudoZ system.

[Edited at 2013-01-21 11:14 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-01-21 11:14 GMT]

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
Verenigd Koninkrijk
Local time: 12:23
Italiaans naar Engels
Options Jan 21, 2013

You are given two options when asking your question (they cannot be selected afterwards):
I will select the best answer myself OR
Select the First Validated Answer

If you choose the second option, you will see a pop-up with the following:

KudoZ: First validated answer (FVA) mode
When the "first validated answer" FVA option is selected, instead of multiple answers being submitted and the asker selecting the one that is most helpful, the goal is for one
... See more
You are given two options when asking your question (they cannot be selected afterwards):
I will select the best answer myself OR
Select the First Validated Answer

If you choose the second option, you will see a pop-up with the following:

KudoZ: First validated answer (FVA) mode
When the "first validated answer" FVA option is selected, instead of multiple answers being submitted and the asker selecting the one that is most helpful, the goal is for one correct translation to be agreed upon by the answerer community. An FVA question is therefore considered closed as soon as one answer gets two net agrees (in top pairs, two net agrees must come from users who meet the criteria for the question).

But FVA questions are always not-for-points.

If you decline to grade a question, the points will eventually be awarded to an Answerer who has the most (at least 2) Agrees. However, regular Answerers may note that you have declined to grade and award points on past questions and may not be willing to help you in the future.

[Edited at 2013-01-21 11:25 GMT]
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denemarken
Lid 2003
Deens naar Engels
+ ...
If you are REALLY not sure... Jan 21, 2013

It can be difficult to select a most helpful answer, but the other options are not always popular!

I look at the answerers.
The first to come with a helpful answer is the obvious choice when you are short of time.

If one has given a better explanation than another, then the best explanation wins.

If I really can't decide, and one answerer has a lot of points already, while another is a beginner, then the beginner gets the points.
The ones with l
... See more
It can be difficult to select a most helpful answer, but the other options are not always popular!

I look at the answerers.
The first to come with a helpful answer is the obvious choice when you are short of time.

If one has given a better explanation than another, then the best explanation wins.

If I really can't decide, and one answerer has a lot of points already, while another is a beginner, then the beginner gets the points.
The ones with lots of points know the rules and can see that the other answer was good too.

You don't have to give 4 points every time, so maybe you should only give two or three points when you are not sure.

The official guideline on awarding points used to be:

When deciding how many points to award, please consider this scale as a guideline:

4: Answer was acceptable, explanation was good, reference was provided (or not needed)
3: Answer was acceptable, explanation was good, but reference was lacking
2: Answer was acceptable
1: Answer was somewhat helpful

Alternatively, you can close the question without awarding points, if none of the answers has clearly earned them.

The current rules are here:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=siterules&mode=show&category=kudoz_asking

I am so glad you are taking KudoZ seriously - it is a very good tool for everyone when used and maintained properly.
Collapse

NataliaShevchuk
NataliaShevchuk  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:23
Engels naar Russisch
+ ...
Can I... Jan 21, 2013

split the points between two answers?
They both turned out to be equally helpful.

Daniela Zambrini
Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
Italië
Engels naar Italiaans
+ ...
splitting points not possible Jan 21, 2013

NataliaShevchuk wrote:

Can I split the points between two answers?
They both turned out to be equally helpful.

Hello Natalia

No, this is not possible. You can find further information in the FAQ section

http://www.proz.com/faq/2869#2869

2.20 - Can I award points to more than one answer?

No, you may only select one "most helpful" answer. Dividing points among answerers has been considered previously, but discarded based on the relatively little benefit which would be gained, and the difficulty of implementing administration of points and such problems as dividing four points among three answers. A useful guideline for cases where you cannot decide on an answer is to choose the one which helped you most. In the case of two or more equally helpful answers, you may choose the first (things tend to even out for answerers over time.)

You might want to consider acknowledging the other answer by adding an "Asker note". A thank-you is always very much appreciated

ciao, D.

NataliaShevchuk
NataliaShevchuk  Identity Verified
Engels naar Russisch
+ ...
Thank you, Daniela! Jan 21, 2013

I've looked for such an information in KudoZ rules, but didn't find any; and, of course, I forgot about Proz FAQ section

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:23
Duits naar Engels
Awarding KudoZ points Jan 21, 2013

Mats Wiman wrote: It exists no 'best answer'.

I suppose that's a matter of opinion. Sometimes the answer the asker thinks is most helpful is also the best answer in the opinion of the professional translators who contributed to solving the problem.

Jon Fedler
Jon Fedler
Local time: 14:23
Duits naar Engels
+ ...
1 () criteria for 4 points (2) What if the best reply is in a comment by one party on the reply of Jan 21, 2013

I generally followed the criteria laid out by Christine Andersen (1st part of her reply) but differ regarding 4-point awards.

I only give 4 points in the following cases:
(a) If the respondent comes up with an answer I did not find in any dictionary, published or online (including googling ), and which the respondent found by diligent search of specialized texts and documents;

(b) Where the reader (preferably with backup from other participants) makes a choice
... See more
I generally followed the criteria laid out by Christine Andersen (1st part of her reply) but differ regarding 4-point awards.

I only give 4 points in the following cases:
(a) If the respondent comes up with an answer I did not find in any dictionary, published or online (including googling ), and which the respondent found by diligent search of specialized texts and documents;

(b) Where the reader (preferably with backup from other participants) makes a choice from the best out of several available sources. some with different connotations . {If he/she gives be a narrowed-down list of options, I might give him 2 points, or even 3, depending on my mood).

N.B. I STRONGLY BELIEVE MOST 4-POINT ANSWERS AS I'VE DEFINED THEM) SHOULD BE GLOSSARISED. THIS ENRICHES PROZ (METAPHORICALLY SPEAKING OF COURSE) AND FACILITATES FUTURE TRANSLATIONS, E.G. FOR THOSE LIKE ME WHO DON'T USE CAT TOOLS, WITH THEIR INSTANT TERMINOLOGY ADVANTAGE).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Re Vago's opening question, I have a complex variation.

Five translators replied last week to a question of mine with inappropriate answers . But two COMMENTS on the above answers contained the (same) 'proper' answer.

I emailed the first comment-provider, suggesting she submit her comment as a formal reply and get the appropriate points. She did not reply, and I had no time to try the other one.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In essence my question is: how do I get an IMPORTANT answer Proz-glossarised. (The case cited above it involved the application of an ancient copyright term to the much discussed 'virtual communication(s)'upheaval the world is undergoing and which adds its own new terms or / gives new meaning to old ones. (My actual translation subject dealt with the retailing of virtual artwork for use in online retailing.)

FYI: [I did not find the 'virtual' application in my bilingual dictionary searches, but (in the midst of the above turmoil) - in the English-only freeonlinedictionary.com. It also related to the new business usage of what was essentially, a copyright term used for books and music before 'virtual became a buzzword.

My proposed solution is to enable a questioner-submitter to submit his own 'answer' as a glossary entry, giving credit ( and a 2 points consolation prize) to the first one unwittingly sent the correct answer). Participants could then vote on whether a glossary ebtry was merited1
Collapse

Daniela Zambrini
Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
Italië
Engels naar Italiaans
+ ...
glossary Jan 21, 2013

Jon Fedler wrote:

My proposed solution is to enable a questioner-submitter to submit his own 'answer' as a glossary entry, giving credit ( and a 2 points consolation prize) to the first one unwittingly sent the correct answer). Participants could then vote on whether a glossary ebtry was merited1

hello Jon,
when closing a question the asker is prompted to make the glossary entry (which can be derived from one of the answers). http://www.proz.com/faq/121591#121591

1.28 - Can the asker enter in the glossary a term different from the one suggested in the selected question?

Yes. Points are (or should be) given to the most helpful answer, while the best possible term should be entered in the glossary, even if it was not suggested by the answerer who won the points.

Imagine for instance that you ask for a difficult technical term and get several similar alternatives, but one of the answers provided a very clear explanation that helped you understand the meaning of the term and its usage. Then you could pick another of the alternatives, and still consider this the most helpful answer.

It is also possible for askers to find the best term on their own and enter a term that was suggested in none of the answers provided, but still select a most helpful answer.

To leave feedback on a previously submitted glossary entry you can click on "contribute to this glossary entry" on the top-right corner of the closed KudoZ question.

Rolf Kern
Rolf Kern  Identity Verified
Zwitserland
Engels naar Duits
+ ...
In memoriam
Award Jan 21, 2013

Award the points to the answer that helped you most and put into tihe glossary the general translation of the question, if any, or nothing.

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Engels
+ ...
Jon’s suggestion Jan 21, 2013

Daniela Zambrini wrote:

hello Jon,
when closing a question the asker is prompted to make the glossary entry (which can be derived from one of the answers). http://www.proz.com/faq/121591#121591

1.28 - Can the asker enter in the glossary a term different from the one suggested in the selected question?

Yes. Points are (or should be) given to the most helpful answer, while the best possible term should be entered in the glossary, even if it was not suggested by the answerer who won the points.

Imagine for instance that you ask for a difficult technical term and get several similar alternatives, but one of the answers provided a very clear explanation that helped you understand the meaning of the term and its usage. Then you could pick another of the alternatives, and still consider this the most helpful answer.

It is also possible for askers to find the best term on their own and enter a term that was suggested in none of the answers provided, but still select a most helpful answer.

To leave feedback on a previously submitted glossary entry you can click on "contribute to this glossary entry" on the top-right corner of the closed KudoZ question.

I don’t think that’s the point of Jon’s comment. He was suggesting that while entering the glossary entry, there should be an option to give credit to the commenter (not answerer) by giving them partial KudoZ points.

[Edited at 2013-01-21 19:31 GMT]

Jon Fedler
Jon Fedler
Local time: 14:23
Duits naar Engels
+ ...
QUESTION REPHRASED TO FACILITATE SOLUTION Jan 23, 2013

With due respect - and thanks - to other contributors, only Ambrose U finally got the message, which I have rephrased slightly: viz:

If the main answers are unsatisfactory, the questioner shall be entitled to award KUDOZ points - + a glossary entry where merited - TO A COMMENTER , if their comment/ suggestion (below the official answer) is or includes the sought-after term

I hope it's clear now, as I am still hoping for an answer !

[Bearbeitet am 2
... See more
With due respect - and thanks - to other contributors, only Ambrose U finally got the message, which I have rephrased slightly: viz:

If the main answers are unsatisfactory, the questioner shall be entitled to award KUDOZ points - + a glossary entry where merited - TO A COMMENTER , if their comment/ suggestion (below the official answer) is or includes the sought-after term

I hope it's clear now, as I am still hoping for an answer !

[Bearbeitet am 2013-01-23 10:39 GMT]
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denemarken
Lid 2003
Deens naar Engels
+ ...
You can close without awarding points Jan 23, 2013

If none of the answerers deserve the points, you can close a question without awarding points.

I think you can still enter the answer in the glossary for future reference. You can if you close the question because you have found the answer elsewhere.

Not an entirely satisfactory solution if you wanted to award the points for a comment, because you can only do that if the person submits the suggestion in the form of an answer...
Maybe she does not care about point
... See more
If none of the answerers deserve the points, you can close a question without awarding points.

I think you can still enter the answer in the glossary for future reference. You can if you close the question because you have found the answer elsewhere.

Not an entirely satisfactory solution if you wanted to award the points for a comment, because you can only do that if the person submits the suggestion in the form of an answer...
Maybe she does not care about points. Anyway, if you have suggested that she should answer, she has had the chance.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Awarding Kudoz points

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »