Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
How can I thank KudoZ askers for selecting my answer as the most helpful one?
Thread poster: Paz González
Paz González
Paz González  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Good points of view Jun 29, 2013

José and Nikki,

Your point of view is good and you are right, the points that you awarded are the way the asker to say thank you and this is part of the system. About the aggressive comments of some people when you disagree with them, I think that, maybe, is because everybody try to do their best in order to help to the asker, and nobody wants to read that somebody found his/her answer is not the right one or that he/she made a mistake because that person made an effort trying to f
... See more
José and Nikki,

Your point of view is good and you are right, the points that you awarded are the way the asker to say thank you and this is part of the system. About the aggressive comments of some people when you disagree with them, I think that, maybe, is because everybody try to do their best in order to help to the asker, and nobody wants to read that somebody found his/her answer is not the right one or that he/she made a mistake because that person made an effort trying to find the best answer for the asker.

Now, it is interesting to know that everybody have different points of view about the points of kudoz and that say thank you is an option and not an obligation.

Finally, I don't want to bother you but... thank you to all of you for your comments and your time.

Sincerely,

Paz G.
Collapse

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:06
English to German
+ ...
let each decide for him/herself if they want to add a note Jun 29, 2013

I don't think there is anything wrong with it and it doesn't violate any rules.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne wrote:

Thanking people for agreeing with you in the context of KudoZ seems beside the point.

One more point I see is the thank you or you're welcome as as a friendly exchange with any asker who, on the other hand, might become a person answering one of my questions in the future. It's an acknowledgment of the willingness to help and the gratefulness for getting help, in general. I don't criticize anyone who doesn't want to do this.

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:
Now, if out of Latin politeness (I am Brazilian, so I understand it), you want to break that balance by saying "thank you", they'll feel an urge to say "thank you for thanking me" to restore that balance. Then you'll want to say say "thank you for thanking me for having thanked you". And so on. This will never end!

It doesn't have to go on and it usually doesn't. And I don't see it simply as something bound to a certain culture. See my point(s) above.

I'd say if colleagues want to put an acknowledgment there, let them do it. If they don't want to do it, fine as well.

Bernhard

[Edited at 2013-06-29 05:53 GMT]

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 23:36
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I don't think it is necessary Jun 29, 2013

But I suppose it is a cultural thing, as you say. Not being Latin, I can't perhaps appreciate the urge to say thank you at every turn, but in this case, my feeling is, I don't think it is even necessary.

We are all busy people, and we are doing a great favour to the asker by helping him out with his difficult term. It is actually we, the answerers who are doing a favour to the asker, not the other way round, and it is we who need to be thanked.

Wanting to thank the aske
... See more
But I suppose it is a cultural thing, as you say. Not being Latin, I can't perhaps appreciate the urge to say thank you at every turn, but in this case, my feeling is, I don't think it is even necessary.

We are all busy people, and we are doing a great favour to the asker by helping him out with his difficult term. It is actually we, the answerers who are doing a favour to the asker, not the other way round, and it is we who need to be thanked.

Wanting to thank the asker for awarding you points smacks of inferiority complex on your part, that you some how did not deserve to get those points, and are grateful that the asker gave it to you anyway. That is not how I approach Kudoz. When I answer a kudoz question I answer it with confidence and the knowledge that the answer I am providing is based on my knowledge of translation, the subject under question and my language. I don't need anyone's thank you to boost up my self-confidence.

So wanting to thank the asker for giving you points actually sends across the wrong signal about your own notion about your low self worth.

Also remember that your kudoz responses are keenly watched by potential outsourcers and clients, and giving wrong signals there can be quite counter-productive to your career.

[2013-06-29 05:31 GMT पर संपादन हुआ]
Collapse

Helen Shiner
Helen Shiner  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:06
German to English
+ ...
@Paz Jun 30, 2013

On occasion, I have added a note to my answer to say something like, "Glad to have been able to help." I also agree that it is about building relationships or just being friendly. I don't do it routinely; just when it suits the exchange.

Paz González
Paz González  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
As my final note on this matter.... Jul 2, 2013

I'm sorry for the delay in my answer.

Bernhard and Helen, in fact, I think like you, and thank you for your words!

Balasubramaniam, so far of what you pointed out, I don't have a lack of confidence in myself and I don't need that somebody boost up my self-confidence , on the contrary, I am very confidence on what I say and in this case in what I answer or help. But, this doesn't not means that I would like to say thank you or something like that.

And, as Be
... See more
I'm sorry for the delay in my answer.

Bernhard and Helen, in fact, I think like you, and thank you for your words!

Balasubramaniam, so far of what you pointed out, I don't have a lack of confidence in myself and I don't need that somebody boost up my self-confidence , on the contrary, I am very confidence on what I say and in this case in what I answer or help. But, this doesn't not means that I would like to say thank you or something like that.

And, as Bernhard said, let each decide for him/herself if they want to add a note.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I thank KudoZ askers for selecting my answer as the most helpful one?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »