Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Ever Been Tempted To Use The Kudoz "Disagree" comment as a Weapon?
Thread poster: Renvi Ulrich
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Renvi Ulrich
Renvi Ulrich  Identity Verified
Cameroon
Local time: 16:15
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
@expressisverbis Aug 30, 2023

Your analysis makes perfect sense. Most of it is a matter of good judgment and common sense. However, one can fall into the trap of trying to "defend his honor" by hitting back when he feels like he has been ridiculed for nothing. And when someone is upset, common sense is not so common. This thread just reminds principles that can help stop emotions from taking over in such situations.

expressisverbis

Renvi Ulrich
Cameroon
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
@Kay Aug 30, 2023

Kay Denney wrote:

Everything I've ever heard about Kudoz here has put me right off ever spending time there.
I try to be civil to all and sundry here, because I'm a decent human being, but honestly, clients don't spend time here or in Kudoz, so telling us it's important to be civil so clients don't get put off by our attitood is not very useful. After all, Ice Scream and Tom in London do not trade under those names, they can say what they like without ever being judged.

Agree. We remain polite first because we are decent human beings. It's a matter of ethics and professionalism.

However, for those who are registered here with their real names (which is the case for a good number of newbies), what they say can have a direct and lasting bearing on how others view them. At the start of my career, I had many clients contacting me through my proz.com mail. After verification, I saw that they almost systematically checked my Kudoz (answered). How much they cared, I can't tell, but it's better to be careful, especially at beginning of a career, when jobs are scarce.

Renvi Ulrich
Cameroon
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Food for thought... Sep 1, 2023

On this topic, I found this quote from Dale Carnegie very true. "Criticisms are like homing pigeons. They always return home [...] The person we are going to correct and condemn will probably justify himself or herself, and condemn us in return". Do you agree?

Mr. Satan (X)

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Depends Sep 2, 2023

> On this topic, I found this quote from Dale Carnegie very true.
> "Criticisms are like homing pigeons. They always return home [...]
> The person we are going to correct and condemn
> will probably justify himself or herself, and condemn us in return". Do you agree?
>
> Renvi Ulrich

Depends on what do you mean by condemning in return. If it was an outward reprisal, then no. Not everyone does this. But the condemnations they received will always accumu
... See more
> On this topic, I found this quote from Dale Carnegie very true.
> "Criticisms are like homing pigeons. They always return home [...]
> The person we are going to correct and condemn
> will probably justify himself or herself, and condemn us in return". Do you agree?
>
> Renvi Ulrich

Depends on what do you mean by condemning in return. If it was an outward reprisal, then no. Not everyone does this. But the condemnations they received will always accumulate in their heart. Some use these as fuels, others are corroded by them. Regardless, the target of a criticism will antagonize the party who expressed it. In this sense, I do agree with you and Dale.

But…

If the criticisms came from someone a person trusts or even idolizes, the condemnations then transformed into an affirmation of affection for the recipient. They'd see it not as a threat. Rather, they find comfort in knowing that the critic considers said individual to be significant enough to warrant criticisms. There are other instances where criticisms are welcomed, such as in software developments (in the form of bug reporting or pull requests).

Frankly, I'd separate criticism from condemnation. The former can be positively constructive, while the latter is either destructive or constructively destructive.

P.S.
Sorry for the mailing-list style quoting. HTML tags didn't work properly on the forums for some reason.

[Edited at 2023-09-02 07:27 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ever Been Tempted To Use The Kudoz "Disagree" comment as a Weapon?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »