Vom Thema belegte Seiten:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8] >
The Disagree Drive (aka weeding out the rubbish)
Initiator des Themas: Catherine Bolton
Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)
Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:41
Excellent idea! Aug 8, 2006

langnet wrote:
5) By abolishing the colour with text markers ("agree", "neutral", "disagree") leaving only the feature "add a peer comment" it would be mandatory for commentators to give reasons. BrowniZ earning would still remain in place (rewarding contribution), but somewhat more "difficult" as you would really have to "earn" them by giving reasons when adding a comment. No simple "agrees" only for BrowniZ grabbing and "disagrees" without justification anymore (or, at least, abusers could be identified in an easier way).

6) By abolishing the colour with text markers, askers would be "forced" to really read through ALL comments posted as they could be either agreeing or disagreeing (or neutral) ones. It also would favour real discussion and enhance the contribution rewarding system.

Only some thoughts on the topic...

Your whole posting is brilliant, langnet, but I think the last two paragraphs sum it all up. I believe it would improve Kudoz atmosphere and eliminate or at least diminish most of the current issues. I am all for it. Now, any chance the staff might implement it?

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finnland
Local time: 23:41
Mitglied (2003)
Finnisch > Deutsch
+ ...
How sure are you-feature Aug 8, 2006

I haven't read the whole thread, but I feel, in these discussions the selection of the degree 1-5 (how sure are you?) should be considered. I some answerer selects 4 or 5 with a totally wrong answer it is ok to "disagree", but when 1, 2 or 3 is selected, no such reaction is appropriate. In that case the answerer has indicated, that he does not believe totally in the answer provided, but is aware of his/her non-competence in the field.
Regards
Heinrich

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Deutschland
Local time: 22:41
Mitglied (2002)
Englisch > Deutsch
+ ...
Confidence bar not the only factor Aug 8, 2006

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
I some answerer selects 4 or 5 with a totally wrong answer it is ok to "disagree", but when 1, 2 or 3 is selected, no such reaction is appropriate. In that case the answerer has indicated, that he does not believe totally in the answer provided, but is aware of his/her non-competence in the field.

Hi Heinrich,

IMHO, in order not to mislead the asker, answerers should always point out very clearly in the body of the answer if they are unsure of what they provide, or if their suggestion is a pure guess. I think that the choice of the appropriate confidence level alone is not sufficient in such cases.

Steffen

IanW (X)
IanW (X)
Deutsch > Englisch
+ ...
Hidden agendas Aug 8, 2006

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:
IMO we should not be able hide. Period.
Or if that is too radical a change, then how about at least showing the names of those who have hidden answers and their reasons given (which should also require approval by a moderator)? I suspect that would dissuade many of them from posting in the first place, especially if the "disagree campaign" takes off.

I agree with Cilian - I think that removing the option of hiding answers will stop people from playing "linguistic grabass"* and messing around in pairings where they have no business being.

Perhaps it could be set up in such a way so that answers could only be hidden by moderators? There is certainly an embarrassment factor involved in having to contact a moderator to hide a silly answer, so I don't think that this would too much of a strain on the good folks who fulfil this role.

*Copywrite Textclick

[Edited at 2006-08-08 11:01]

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Deutschland
Mitglied (2002)
Englisch > Deutsch
+ ...
Just to be clear ... Aug 8, 2006

Ian Winick wrote:
Perhaps it could be set up in such a way that questions could only be closed by moderators? There is certainly an embarrassment factor involved in having to contact a moderator to hide a silly answer, so I don't think that this would too much of a strain on the good folks who fulfil this role.

... do you mean closing entire questions or hiding individual answers (I do see a big difference here)?

That said, from a moderator's POV, the occasional activity of hiding answers upon request shouldn't be a big deal indeed.

Steffen

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:41
Französisch > Englisch
Would not being able to Hide an answer really improve quality? Aug 8, 2006

I'm not sure it would.

As Cilian pointed out, there are many reasons for hiding answers, many are truly valid (and I think I've done so for all the reasons he listed, including the "childish" one ). If it were no longer possible to hide answers, I think we would risk throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Is it really such a big deal if a "repeat offender" (in terms of providing unsuitable or inapprop
... See more
I'm not sure it would.

As Cilian pointed out, there are many reasons for hiding answers, many are truly valid (and I think I've done so for all the reasons he listed, including the "childish" one ). If it were no longer possible to hide answers, I think we would risk throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Is it really such a big deal if a "repeat offender" (in terms of providing unsuitable or inappropriate answers) perpetually hides his/her "rubbish" answers? If our objective is quality, and in particular the quality of the answers shown when searching kudoz and opening up the full page to investigate all proposed answers for a term, then surely if "rubbish" answers are not shown, this can only help?

I'm just not convinced that blocking the "hide" function will dissuade the "rubbish" answers phenomenon. I'm not even convinced that posting Disagrees will, but I think it may help increase awareness that a certain answer (or even a certain answerer) is to be treated with extreme caution.

However, I accept that my view is probably coloured by my experience in my language pair, and I'm more than happy to be persuaded that I'm mistaken.

Although given that Proz can't even find the resources to order forum threads on the home page properly (i.e. in order of the most recent posting), I can't see them implementing any other suggestions in a hurry.
Collapse

IanW (X)
IanW (X)
Deutsch > Englisch
+ ...
@ Steffen / Charlie Aug 8, 2006

Steffen Walter wrote:
... do you mean closing entire questions or hiding individual answers (I do see a big difference here)?
Steffen

@Steffen: I mean people hiding their own answers, not squashing entire questions.

@Charlie: I can see where you're coming from, but in my experience many hit-and-run point grabbers post an answer to be get in before the crowd and then, after clocking up a few embarrassing disagrees, hide their answer. In cases like this, I would think that people like this would think twice about posting silly answers if they weren't able to hide their answers at will.

Charlie Bavington
Französisch > Englisch
I know we're on the same side... (!) Aug 8, 2006

... so I'll reply in the continuing spirit of friendly discussion

Ian Winick wrote:

@Charlie: I can see where you're coming from, but in my experience many hit-and-run point grabbers post an answer to be get in before the crowd and then, after clocking up a few embarrassing disagrees, hide their answer.

Good In this case, there is no chance the answer will be selected, even by mistake, 'cos it ain't there. Result: less crap in the KOG. And, as i said, it also won't appear to those making searches on terms subsequently. Quality goes up.

In cases like this, I would think that people like this would think twice about posting silly answers if they weren't able to hide their answers at will.

Your qualifying statement, "In cases like this", is exactly my point, really. I kinda see your point, in terms of leaving a public "audit trail" of consistently providing "rubbish" answers. But there are many good reasons for hiding answers too. And I wonder whether removing the ability to hide answers might not discourage people from posting ALL kinds of answers, both good and bad.....?

Klaus Herrmann
Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Deutschland
Mitglied (2002)
Englisch > Deutsch
+ ...
Nice going Aug 8, 2006

Ian Winick wrote:
...after clocking up a few embarrassing disagrees, hide their answer. In cases like this, I would think that people like this would think twice about posting silly answers if they weren't able to hide their answers at will.

"clocking up a few disagrees" seems to be the key - if there is a disagree (or two), only a moderator can hide/finalize hiding the answer. No disagree - the answerer is free to hide it. (I'm using the hide feature for the childish reason, too;))

IanW (X)
IanW (X)
Deutsch > Englisch
+ ...
Sorry! Aug 8, 2006

Hi Steffen et al,

Sorry, I had written "questions could only be closed by moderators" rather than "answers hidden" - that was the cause of the confusion.

All the best

Ian

Gina W
Gina W
Vereinigte Staaten
Mitglied (2003)
Französisch > Englisch
Some answerers are defensive even to a "neutral" Aug 8, 2006

marie-christine périé wrote:

Maybe also the answerer shouln't find it as offensive if the 'neutral' possibility didn't exist.

I get the feeling that some people feel offended at any comment that isn't an "agree". I've seen some answerers get very nasty at a "neutral".

Charlie Bavington
Französisch > Englisch
Disagrees a go-go... Aug 8, 2006

... on the Fr-Eng pair tonight.

Not just by me, I hasten to add. However, where normally I might refrain where there was already a couple of disagrees, I thought I ought to do my bit

How's it going on other pairs?

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Mitglied (2004)
Italienisch > Deutsch
+ ...
Make it impossible to hide answers. Yes, but.... Aug 9, 2006

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:

May I make a suggestion.

This "disagree campaign" wo(uld)n't be effective enough on itw own IMO. I would like to suggest an additional step which I think could work miracles in cutting down on the amount of "rubbish" floating around. My suggestion concerns the hide-my-answer function.

In a nutshell:
Make it more difficult (embarrassing) to hide answers!

(And before resident Mats comes back, it's not about superiority, but seriousness. I think serious translators would benefit.)

It often seems to be the "rubbish" (thanks Ian!) contributors who hide their answers as soon as the disagrees arrive. Others, when they see that another answer was chosen. On the other hand, some hide when they see someone else was faster with the same suggestion, or when they realise they've misread/misinterpreted the question. I've hidden answers too. I can even remember childishly doing so on a few occasions mid-question when I simply didn't want to help the uncommunicative asker any more. There are plenty of reasons for hiding and it can be useful, especially when decluttering is the objective.

However, I don't think many of the "serious" translators here would object if answers could not be hidden. (OK, there are always exceptions. So just give us a few jokers. Say, 5 or so a year). We all have limitations and make mistakes (and we overlook things in the KudoZ-heat of the moment), but wrong answers with a disagree or two also help the asker and others. And it is (or should be) also a learning process for answerers. What's wrong with admitting mistakes? A lot of the time we're only brainstorming! If someone points out a weakness in my interpretation, it wakes me up but doesn't embarrass me into hiding my suggestion.

IMO we should not be able hide. Period.
Or if that is too radical a change, then how about at least showing the names of those who have hidden answers and their reasons given (which should also require approval by a moderator)? I suspect that would dissuade many of them from posting in the first place, especially if the "disagree campaign" takes off.

Ciao,
C

... the staff doesn't agree. See here:

http://www.proz.com/post/395224#395224

Enrique wrote:

Invisible answerers Aug 5

Christel Zipfel wrote:

Regarding hidden anwers: I would propose to make impossibible anwers be hidden at least after the question has been closed. This seems to me quite obvious and doesn't make any sense. In fact, I thought it already was...

I see no advantage in making it impossible to hide answers. A hidden answer is just not visible but it is still in the database, your statistic on questions answered is not affected by it.

Regards,
Enrique

In my opinion, it is totally absurd that answers can be hidden after the question has been closed, and I would say, even after they have got any comment (normally disagree).

Anyway, at this point it is maybe useless to debate further about this particular issue...

Gina W
Gina W
Vereinigte Staaten
Mitglied (2003)
Französisch > Englisch
Professionalism is not just about (alleged) knowledge Aug 11, 2006

langnet wrote:

2) Being - and calling oneself - a professional translator, to me means being at least familiar with the basics and aware of how to handle information inputs given by others. Our job needs a good share of common sense that can't be taught anywhere.

Being - and calling oneself - a professional of any kind, to me also means not being pompous and self-important and downright rude, and acting as if one owns the site.

I disagree with getting rid of the option to hide answers. I disagree with any change in the "agree", "neutral" and "disagree" options. The only things that need fixing are some people's attitudes - and some individuals seriously need to be disciplined for posting blatant personal attacks in their comments. Certain of these individuals may consider themselves knowledgeable but that does not necessarily mean that they really are - and many are the very ones who go on and on and on and on and on ad nauseum in the forums about how others supposedly post such dumb questions.

I think it is ridiculous that any professional can actually suggest, and condone, posting to someone else calling that person "stoopid". We're not mature adults - and professionals - here? How can anyone actually promote this type of personal attack?

I do agree that many need to exhibit common sense in the way they treat other people.

I am so puzzled at the fact that so many on this site appear to consider it the worst offense for someone to ask a "dumb" question, yet they are not at all bothered by someone posting a completely rude and uncalled for remark to another person. KudoZ questions are naturally going to be asked more by those with less knowledge - yes, ok, we know that there are questions which may end up being simple, but there also have been thread after thread after thread after thread about it on these forums! Where are the threads of those who are shocked and appalled at the incredibl immaturity and unprofessionalism shown in some of the comments? As far as I can tell, there aren't any. Why not? There are PLENTY of those comments.

I would suggest that any further changes in KudoZ include first and foremost sanctions against people who post these inappropriate comments incessantly. But it seems to me that the site just doesn't care about this, because nothing is really done about it, other than individual cases where the moderator then has to remove or hide a peer comment. When someone chronically is a self-important jerk who insults someone for daring to post anything that goes against their ultimate supposed expertise, why is that person allowed to continue doing so? That would be much more in line in keeping this site a place for professionals. You are not going to ever have the perfect questions being always asked, but we certainly should insist on some type of decorum, and in treating people with respect.

A person who is less knowledgeable in ANY field, is much more of a professional than one who can't even treat his/her colleagues with a minimum amount of respect, no matter how supposedly knowledgeable that person is. If someone can't do that, how can s/he consider him/herself a professional, in any sense of the word?

IanW (X)
IanW (X)
Deutsch > Englisch
+ ...
I'm not with stoopid Aug 11, 2006

gad wrote:I think it is ridiculous that any professional can actually suggest, and condone, posting to someone else calling that person "stoopid". We're not mature adults - and professionals - here? How can anyone actually promote this type of personal attack?

If you look back and read the postings, you will find that - Mats' out-of-context quotes aside - no-one has seriously suggested calling anyone else "stoopid".

But referring to other people as "self-important jerks" is fine, is it?

Vom Thema belegte Seiten:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The Disagree Drive (aka weeding out the rubbish)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »