Thread poster: Martina Pokupec (X)
Martina Pokupec (X)
Martina Pokupec (X)  Identity Verified
Croatia
Local time: 20:45
English to Croatian
+ ...
Dec 23, 2010

I need help with this word from native English speakers.

When would you use "unrevealed", instead of 'hidden' or similar?

Thank you!

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Google Dec 23, 2010

Use Google for more information, it's much better than I am.

"Unrevealed" (undisclosed) would mean that someone could reveal it but has chosen not to. To me if something is hidden, it does not necessarily imply any person involved.

If you were to provide specific CONTEXTS it would be easier to answer.

Phyllis Mitzman
Phyllis Mitzman
Local time: 14:45
Dutch to English
slight to major differences in meaning Dec 23, 2010

Unrevealed vs. hidden: slight difference. Hidden implies intention, so when information/text is hidden, the implication is that the author does not want the reader to see it. Unrevealed does not have that implication. It means some other information is just not there or available to the reader. The meanings, both explicit and implied for the third word, similar, are very different: it means the text is unlike what it is being compared to, but the text is completely available to the reader.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 12:45
Dutch to English
+ ...
Examples please Dec 23, 2010

A few examples of sentences where you are in doubt would help.

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
KudoZ term help Dec 23, 2010

Hi Martina,

This is a question that should be answered in the KudoZ section of this site: http://www.proz.com/kudoz/

To get appropriate answers, submit an "English to English" (i.e. monolingual) question using the form provided at http://www.proz.com/ask

Best regards,
Steffen

Martina Pokupec (X)
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 23, 2010

Phyllis Mitzman wrote:

Unrevealed vs. hidden: slight difference. Hidden implies intention, so when information/text is hidden, the implication is that the author does not want the reader to see it. Unrevealed does not have that implication. It means some other information is just not there or available to the reader. The meanings, both explicit and implied for the third word, similar, are very different: it means the text is unlike what it is being compared to, but the text is completely available to the reader.

By 'similar' I actually meant words similar in meaning to 'unrevealed' & 'hidden'.

Thank you for your explanation, it is very clear.

Happy holidays to all!

Martina Pokupec (X)
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Henry Dec 23, 2010

Henry Hinds wrote:

Use Google for more information, it's much better than I am.

"Unrevealed" (undisclosed) would mean that someone could reveal it but has chosen not to. To me if something is hidden, it does not necessarily imply any person involved.

If you were to provide specific CONTEXTS it would be easier to answer.

I didn't provide any context because I wanted someone to come up with some

Your explanation is the way I feel these words as well, but I've never used this word myself, and was uncertain as to its usage, and the frequency of it..

Thank you!

Martina Pokupec (X)
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Steffan Jan 14, 2011

Steffen Walter wrote:

Hi Martina,

This is a question that should be answered in the KudoZ section of this site: http://www.proz.com/kudoz/

To get appropriate answers, submit an "English to English" (i.e. monolingual) question using the form provided at http://www.proz.com/ask

Best regards,
Steffen

Sorry not to have answered sooner.

Unfortunately, since this is not my language pair, I am not allowed to ask questions in EN>EN KudoZ. My only option are the nice people here.

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
I see, Martina, but... Jan 14, 2011

Martina Pokupec wrote:

Steffen Walter wrote:

Hi Martina,

Best regards,
Steffen

Sorry not to have answered sooner.

Unfortunately, since this is not my language pair, I am not allowed to ask questions in EN>EN KudoZ. My only option are the nice people here.

... as far as I know, you may declare "English to English" a "language pair of interest" (as opposed to working pairs) in your profile, which would enable you to post English monolingual questions.

Best regards,
Steffen

Martina Pokupec (X)
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I didn't realize Jan 14, 2011

Steffen Walter wrote:

... as far as I know, you may declare "English to English" a "language pair of interest" (as opposed to working pairs) in your profile, which would enable you to post English monolingual questions.

Best regards,
Steffen

Thank you very much, I didn't realize this was an option. Doing it now.

Kind regards
Martina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

unrevealed

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »