Thread poster: Hector Zedonivich
Kirsten Bodart
Kirsten Bodart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:45
Dutch to English
+ ...
And me! Oct 21, 2012

I couldn't explain why (so thanks to those who clarified the reason why), but I definitely know the construction and use it myself in rare cases. Mainly for emphasis.

Not grammatically incorrect, although a bit odd, admittedly, because you don't see it very often.
I would think it's probably a remnant of Germanic inversion which the French could not totally root out. Although I don't know enough of the Celtic languages to assess whether it's not older than the Anglo-Saxons.... See more
I couldn't explain why (so thanks to those who clarified the reason why), but I definitely know the construction and use it myself in rare cases. Mainly for emphasis.

Not grammatically incorrect, although a bit odd, admittedly, because you don't see it very often.
I would think it's probably a remnant of Germanic inversion which the French could not totally root out. Although I don't know enough of the Celtic languages to assess whether it's not older than the Anglo-Saxons.

The native test:

I think there would already have been two non-natives here who would pass that one. I think this is rather a proficiency thing (again).
Collapse

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 11:15
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
No, this is a straight grammar issue... Oct 22, 2012

Neil Coffey wrote:

There have been threads recently on how to devise a "native speaker" test. One of the points I have mentioned before is that one possible test is to test speakers' competence on points that are "on the fringe" of the grammar: cases that rarely come up in practice, but when they do, there is near consensus among native speakers.

One test could be recognising, for example, cases that require or are compatible with inversion vs cases that don't. In view of the foregoing, cases such as the following are interesting:

"Only a few miles away, [they found/did they find] the victim's body."
"Only once, [they found/did they find] the victim's body."

Sorry, just a random thought I wanted to share!

If identifying native speakers had been that easy, then that thread wouldn't have stretched to 150+ pages.

This is a simple grammar issue, which anyone who knows English (native or otherwise) will be able to spot at one glance as correct.

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:45
Hebrew to English
"Anyone who 'knows' English"? Oct 22, 2012

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:
This is a simple grammar issue, which anyone who knows English (native or otherwise) will be able to spot at one glance as correct.

Clearly not though, hence the existence of this thread.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The verb 'will' is incorrectly placed in the sentence

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »