Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:27
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
In German we have "Unwörter" Aug 17, 2023

òpidubvè97r is also a word. Tell me it isn't.

[Edited at 2023-08-17 09:26 GMT] [/quote]
...bears a common acknowledged notion, yes. If not, then not. [/quote]

Who says? [/quote]

You. You have to prove that òpidubvè97r is also a word with a commonly acknowledged notion and others would have to confirm. [/quote]

Der Begriff Unwort ist ein Schlagwort aus dem Bereich der Sprachkritik und bezeichnet ein „unschönes“, aber auch ein „unerw�
... See more

[Edited at 2023-08-17 09:26 GMT] [/quote]
...bears a common acknowledged notion, yes. If not, then not. [/quote]

Who says? [/quote]

You. You have to prove that òpidubvè97r is also a word with a commonly acknowledged notion and others would have to confirm. [/quote]

Der Begriff Unwort ist ein Schlagwort aus dem Bereich der Sprachkritik und bezeichnet ein „unschönes“, aber auch ein „unerwünschtes“ Wort.
The term "Unwort" is a catchword from the field of linguistic criticism and denotes an "unattractive", but also an "undesirable" word.
Collapse

Kay Denney

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 19:27
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Words... Aug 17, 2023

finnword1 wrote:

One of the most useless words in the English language is "whatsoever". (None whatsoever is already none). Any other nominations for the list?

In my native language and especially in my profession every word is useful, even swear words said at the right time.
I believe that every translator like me thinks this way.
If there are words in our native language or in a foreign language we like less, that's another story...

Thomas T. Frost
P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
Becca Resnik
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Kathleen Kownacki
Philip Lees

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Un- Aug 17, 2023

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

Der Begriff Unwort ist ein Schlagwort aus dem Bereich der Sprachkritik und bezeichnet ein „unschönes“, aber auch ein „unerwünschtes“ Wort.
The term "Unwort" is a catchword from the field of linguistic criticism and denotes an "unattractive", but also an "undesirable" word.

Interesting. Like Kraut (herb) and Unkraut (weeds). Back in time, Unkraut was mistranslated into Danish as ukrudt, which literally means 'non-gunpowder'.

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
And who... Aug 17, 2023

Lingua 5B wrote:

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

[Edited at 2023-08-17 09:26 GMT]

...bears a common acknowledged notion, yes. If not, then not.

Who says?

You. You have to prove that òpidubvè97r is also a word with a commonly acknowledged notion and others would have to confirm.

A word needs to have a meaning. So what you wrote does not qualify.

...defines the meaning?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
This Aug 17, 2023

This is not a statement.

Christopher Schröder

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:27
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Basic linguistics Aug 17, 2023

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

[Edited at 2023-08-17 09:26 GMT]

...bears a common acknowledged notion, yes. If not, then not.

Who says?

You. You have to prove that òpidubvè97r is also a word with a commonly acknowledged notion and others would have to confirm.

A word needs to have a meaning. So what you wrote does not qualify.

And who …

...defines the meaning?

A community of speakers.

[Edited at 2023-08-17 18:13 GMT]

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Yes it does, and no it doesn't. Aug 17, 2023

Sir Tristram, violer d’amores, fr’over the short sea, had passencore rearrived from North Armorica on this side the scraggy isthmus of Europe Minor to wielderfight his penisolate war: nor had topsawyer’s rocks by the stream Oconee exaggerated themselse to Laurens County’s gorgios while they went doublin their mumper all the time: nor avoice from afire bellowsed mishe mishe to tauftauf thuartpeatrick not yet, though venissoon after, had a kidscad buttended a bland old isaac: not yet, thou... See more
Sir Tristram, violer d’amores, fr’over the short sea, had passencore rearrived from North Armorica on this side the scraggy isthmus of Europe Minor to wielderfight his penisolate war: nor had topsawyer’s rocks by the stream Oconee exaggerated themselse to Laurens County’s gorgios while they went doublin their mumper all the time: nor avoice from afire bellowsed mishe mishe to tauftauf thuartpeatrick not yet, though venissoon after, had a kidscad buttended a bland old isaac: not yet, though all’s fair in vanessy, were sosie sesthers wroth with twone nathandjoe. Rot a peck of pa’s malt had Jhem or Shen brewed by arclight and rory end to the regginbrow was to be seen ringsome on the aquaface.....Collapse

finnword1
finnword1
United States
Local time: 14:27
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am talking about English words Aug 17, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:

powwow?

Powwow is Prozcomish.

Metin Demirel
Metin Demirel  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 21:27
Member (2018)
Italian to Turkish
+ ...
Seinfeld Aug 18, 2023

finnword1 wrote:

Baran Keki wrote:

powwow?

Powwow is Prozcomish.

This word always reminds me of this scene:

https://youtu.be/Eo7INJGmivo

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:27
German to English
Please supply attribution Aug 18, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

Sir Tristram, violer d’amores, fr’over the short sea, had passencore rearrived from North Armorica on this side the scraggy isthmus of Europe Minor to wielderfight his penisolate war: nor had topsawyer’s rocks by the stream Oconee exaggerated themselse to Laurens County’s gorgios while they went doublin their mumper all the time: nor avoice from afire bellowsed mishe mishe to tauftauf thuartpeatrick not yet, though venissoon after, had a kidscad buttended a bland old isaac: not yet, though all’s fair in vanessy, were sosie sesthers wroth with twone nathandjoe. Rot a peck of pa’s malt had Jhem or Shen brewed by arclight and rory end to the regginbrow was to be seen ringsome on the aquaface.....

For those colleagues unfamiliar with Finnegan's Wake.

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Kay Denney

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 21:27
Greek to English
Definition Aug 18, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

It's certainly a word according to this definition.

Assuming standard ASCII encoding, it's an 88-bit word.

How many kilowords do we plan to devote to this topic?

expressisverbis
Tom in London

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Aug 18, 2023

Philip Lees wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

It's certainly a word according to this definition.

Assuming standard ASCII encoding, it's an 88-bit word.

How many kilowords do we plan to devote to this topic?

I'd answer you, but I'm not sure whether kilowords is a word and I'm not looking it up because I'm off duty, having just delivered the only translation on my to-do list for today.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Aug 18, 2023

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

I read this and... I can just feel myself falling in love with German all over again! I hadn't felt this way since coming across the sheer perfection of the word "muffig".

[Edited at 2023-08-18 07:26 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
You made the usual mistake Aug 18, 2023

Kevin Fulton wrote:

For those colleagues unfamiliar with Finnegan's Wake. [/quote]

There is no apostrophe. Perhaps Joyce was simply stating that Finnegans (whatever they are) have a tendency to wake.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Please forgive me if I stray slightly Aug 18, 2023

The importance of every word (even when not explicitly said) reminded me of an episode with a friend of mine, a sound designer, who at the time (during the years of the so-called Carnation Revolution) worked for the official TV in Portugal and played Dalida's famous song "Parole, Parole" (just the music, without the words) immediately after a political speech (I don't remember if it was the President of the Republic or the President of the Council of Ministers) and for that she was punished with... See more
The importance of every word (even when not explicitly said) reminded me of an episode with a friend of mine, a sound designer, who at the time (during the years of the so-called Carnation Revolution) worked for the official TV in Portugal and played Dalida's famous song "Parole, Parole" (just the music, without the words) immediately after a political speech (I don't remember if it was the President of the Republic or the President of the Council of Ministers) and for that she was punished with a suspension...Collapse

expressisverbis
Kay Denney

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Useless words

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »