Autor wątku: ProZ.com Staff
Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
Wielka Brytania
Local time: 21:10
hebrajski > angielski
Give me a cut and I'll answer Jul 16, 2012

Esther van der Wal wrote:

Get real, guys. If you don't like the poll, don't answer the poll. I really don't see why we should all be so fired up about sharing details on our workload or anonymous polls. It's not that they are asking for our PIN to take cash out of our accounts!

To answer the question: 2012 is already much better than 2011, and 2011 wasn't bad. I guess my company is still in the growth phase (2,5 years now), which is nice!

I don't mind anyone answering the poll, but it is suspicious and there's nothing wrong with questioning things.

Besides, if they are gonna sell the data on to a 3rd party, and if I'm going to contribute to that data, then I want a cut! (or discounted membership... )

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Hiszpania
Local time: 22:10
hiszpański > angielski
+ ...
The reality Jul 16, 2012

Whether anyone wants our PINs or not, I don't know. I do know though that Prozians should be aware that anyone can read these polls. It might seem that we're just a cozy little club of translators sharing a few ideas with each other, but nothing could be further from the truth. It's a good idea to be aware of the reality. This is a public not a private forum.

As for the question itself: no comment.

Jenn Mercer
Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
USA
Local time: 16:10
Członek ProZ.com
od 2009

francuski > angielski
High Five! Jul 16, 2012

Mary Worby wrote:

But the rates have gone up!

Pretty much. I worked like a dog in 2011 and it has paid off with the experience and reputation to find better paying clients.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
USA
Local time: 13:10
angielski > niemiecki
+ ...
In Memoriam
Same as always Jul 16, 2012

My days still have only 24 hours.

Denise Phelps
Denise Phelps  Identity Verified
hiszpański > angielski
+ ...
Curiouser and curiouser Jul 16, 2012

Ty Kendall wrote:

Saturday's Poll:
Financially, for me, the first half of 2012 was.....

Sunday's Poll:
Financially, my projection for the second half of 2012 is....

Today's Poll:
In comparison with 2011, the work volume I have received this year has.....

ALL ANONYMOUS

Does nobody else feel a bit uneasy answering these questions now?

And today I get a mail forwarded by Proz.com asking me to participate in an intrusive survey about my rates....

[Edited at 2012-07-16 21:31 GMT]

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
USA
angielski > niemiecki
+ ...
In Memoriam
More ideas for polls Jul 16, 2012

- The account balance of your 2011 year-end bank statement?
- How much is your rent / mortgage?
- Your household income is?

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
USA
Członek ProZ.com
od 2003

hiszpański > angielski
+ ...
E-mail survey Jul 16, 2012

I received a survey some time ago, and I wrote back reminding the pollster that long ago in the United States (where the survey was coming from), the Federal Trade Commission tried to penalize the American Translators Association for publishing a schedule of rates in their newsletter--they called it "price-fixing." When ATA hired lawyers to fight the case, it turned out to be a very expensive proposition.

By the way, many of us have published our rates on our ProZ profile. I suppos
... See more
I received a survey some time ago, and I wrote back reminding the pollster that long ago in the United States (where the survey was coming from), the Federal Trade Commission tried to penalize the American Translators Association for publishing a schedule of rates in their newsletter--they called it "price-fixing." When ATA hired lawyers to fight the case, it turned out to be a very expensive proposition.

By the way, many of us have published our rates on our ProZ profile. I suppose that those who publish their rates are on the higher end. If the pollsters really want to know, they can go there and look, one by one.
Collapse

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Niemcy
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

niemiecki > angielski
Here too Jul 16, 2012

Denise Phelps wrote:

And today I get a mail forwarded by Proz.com asking me to participate in an intrusive survey about my rates....

[Edited at 2012-07-16 21:31 GMT]

Just got that one as well

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
Wielka Brytania
Local time: 21:10
hiszpański > angielski
Low rates published as well Jul 16, 2012

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

By the way, many of us have published our rates on our ProZ profile. I suppose that those who publish their rates are on the higher end. If the pollsters really want to know, they can go there and look, one by one.

Sadly that is not the case. I have, unfortunately, visited many profiles in my time offering super-low rates in true "pick me I'm the cheapest" style.

As far as the poll is concerned, my financial years start and finish in April, and the last one was better than the one before, as I would expect it to be.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japonia
Local time: 05:10
Członek ProZ.com
od 2011

japoński > angielski
Yes. What is going? Jul 17, 2012

3 polls on the trot asking us about work volume and finances, and then an e-mail from a ProZ.com advertising partner asking us to cooperate in a "Survey on freelance translation and pricing."

Has all this been deliberate and intentional?

Stron w wątku:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatorzy tego forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: In comparison with 2011, the work volume I have received this year has

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »