Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 05:36
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I parted company with one agency... May 15, 2012

... because I don't live in the UK. I don't like their online CAT tool either! But luckily the rest of my clients don't mind.

It is in fact an enormous advantage for me to 'live in' my source language, which is not nearly as widespread as English.
Anyway, there is no escaping English here, unless you turn off the TV and disconnect the broadband connection. You would have to be picky about what you bought at the supermarket even then...

It could be a problem if I w
... See more
... because I don't live in the UK. I don't like their online CAT tool either! But luckily the rest of my clients don't mind.

It is in fact an enormous advantage for me to 'live in' my source language, which is not nearly as widespread as English.
Anyway, there is no escaping English here, unless you turn off the TV and disconnect the broadband connection. You would have to be picky about what you bought at the supermarket even then...

It could be a problem if I worked the other way round, but in these days of the Internet, it can also be solved.

You have to study your languages consciously and systematically, however you keep in touch with them.
Collapse

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 12:36
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
@ Nicole May 16, 2012

Nicole Schnell wrote:

If I may quote from a recent email, sent by a prospective client in the US:

"How do you ensure that your German copy is up-to-date and ‘fresh’ working from the US?"

Hahahahahahaha!

No further comment.

No offense Nicole, but I understand your prospective client's concern.

They don't have any personal information about you, i.e. how often you visit your native country, how much you mingle with your German speaking friends in the US, how often you have contact to live German on TV, radio, newspaper, etc.

If you could just assure them that you are fit and have the proper access to the above, your prospective client may become one of your steady clients.

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:36
Spanish to English
+ ...
The sad truth is that... May 16, 2012

Derrio wrote:

Robert Forstag wrote:

I find this to be the case in quite a few jobs posted from Spanish agencies or individuals. I think it has to do with tax and accounting issues.

I'm not sure Robert, I think sometimes it's more to do with the rates they want to pay. I had a reply from a Spanish outsourcer who said "You're British are you - you probably won't do it for this rate". He was right.

As an aside, there are probably more native English speakers per square mile in the part of Spain where I live (Ibiza) than there are in certain parts of London I have lived in. I don't think that in this day and age of internet, satellite tv etc. that you're in much danger of losing touch with your mother tongue. And then some agencies want to know how you keep up to date with your source language if you don't live in a country where it is spoken - you can't win!

...the rates typically offered by Spanish agencies are so far below what I typically accept, that collaboration is not viable.

There are exceptions, but they are few and far between.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please, job posters: native language is not quoter location

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »