Thread poster: Jens Lindén
Jens Lindén
Jens Lindén  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:42
Member (2013)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Nov 20, 2023

This doesn't necessarily suggest a scam, but I was surprised to encounter a recent translation job posting (request for a quote) on this site, surpassing 50,000 words. However, the poster only supplied a name, without an email address, website, or phone number, and there's no record in the Blue Board nor any info online. While I'm not quick to label it as illegitimate and there is no obligation to "exist" online, it does raise several concerns.

My primary question is why such postin
... See more
This doesn't necessarily suggest a scam, but I was surprised to encounter a recent translation job posting (request for a quote) on this site, surpassing 50,000 words. However, the poster only supplied a name, without an email address, website, or phone number, and there's no record in the Blue Board nor any info online. While I'm not quick to label it as illegitimate and there is no obligation to "exist" online, it does raise several concerns.

My primary question is why such postings are permitted in the first place. While quoting is voluntary, shouldn't there be a minimum requirement for contact information when posting jobs? I have no wish to "report" this specific poster, this is merely an illustration of peculiar practices. It should not just be recommended but mandatory to provide more information. How can you expect to be taken seriously and address all potential concerns without furnishing more details, particularly for such large projects?

I reckon this may have come up and been talked about before, so my apologies if it aligns with any other forum posts I haven't been able to find.

All thoughts are welcome.
Collapse

expressisverbis
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Kevin Fulton
Fabrice Ndie
Liviu-Lee Roth
Gabriel França
Dan Lucas

Luca Vaccari
Luca Vaccari  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 12:42
Swedish to Italian
+ ...
Ban recurring offers as well Nov 21, 2023

I am also quite annoyed to see the same agencies offering the same jobs every now and then. I can understand that jobs can come quite irregulary, but it means more obviously to me that they never find translators willing to work at their prices/conditions.
(The same would apply for people asking for terminology help every second day.).

But of course, the website earns money in both cases, so a ban will probably never be inserted. At least, I would prefer to have a tick box in
... See more
I am also quite annoyed to see the same agencies offering the same jobs every now and then. I can understand that jobs can come quite irregulary, but it means more obviously to me that they never find translators willing to work at their prices/conditions.
(The same would apply for people asking for terminology help every second day.).

But of course, the website earns money in both cases, so a ban will probably never be inserted. At least, I would prefer to have a tick box in order not to see jobs from certain posters or questions from certain persons (whom I'd rather not call colleagues or professionals).

[Edited at 2023-11-21 10:22 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Tanja Oresnik
Susan Murphy Lamprecht
Thayenga

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
this option exists Nov 21, 2023

Luca Vaccari wrote:
I would prefer to have a tick box in order not to see jobs from certain posters or questions from certain persons (whom I'd rather not call colleagues or professionals).

at least for KudoZ question askers: https://www.proz.com/dashboard/kudoz/?sp_kudoz_mode=flagsandfilters
or just click under an akers's name/profile picture in a KudoZ question.

I am not sure if there is an option to filter Job posters as well.

Luca Vaccari
Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio

Luca Vaccari
Luca Vaccari  Identity Verified
Italy
Swedish to Italian
+ ...
What about 60,000 legal words in a week? Nov 22, 2023

I've just seen a job posted in a "professional site", by a colleague running a translation agency.

Well, Italian into Swedish would "only" be 24,000 words in a week, it "can" be managed if you know the subject, probably. I will not apply because I've been in touch with them before and I know that my price is too high for them.

The same project includes legal documents to be translated into Dutch and the weighted amount is over 60,000 words, for the same deadline. I rea
... See more
I've just seen a job posted in a "professional site", by a colleague running a translation agency.

Well, Italian into Swedish would "only" be 24,000 words in a week, it "can" be managed if you know the subject, probably. I will not apply because I've been in touch with them before and I know that my price is too high for them.

The same project includes legal documents to be translated into Dutch and the weighted amount is over 60,000 words, for the same deadline. I really wonder WHY a colleague, who should know how many words a translator reasonably can translate in one day, simply dares to post such a thing. Of course, a trial is always worth it, but what impression does it give, to colleagues at least?

I dislike being the complaining match every day, but I really believe that we "professional" translators are cutting our branch ourselves, instead of cooperating against non-professional or automatic solutions.

[Edited at 2023-11-22 07:17 GMT]
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Susan Murphy Lamprecht

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Requirements for job postings?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »