For matters related to payments, access to training sessions and technical issues, please submit a support request for faster assistance.
"Free" webinar requiring one's credit card information?
Thread poster: Ana Vozone
Ana Vozone
Ana Vozone  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:46
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mar 21, 2023

I received an invitation from Proz to attend a "free" webinar about ChatGPT.

But, to attend, I need to confirm credit card information.

Also, the invitation has two typos.

""Registration instructions: the course is free to attend but you need to follow the "payment" steps to sign up. That said, click on the button below, and then choose your ProZ.com Wallet as a payment method and follow the steps. Do not hesitate to email at *******[email protected]*******
... See more
I received an invitation from Proz to attend a "free" webinar about ChatGPT.

""Registration instructions: the course is free to attend but you need to follow the "payment" steps to sign up. That said, click on the button below, and then choose your ProZ.com Wallet as a payment method and follow the steps. Do not hesitate to email at *******[email protected]******* should you have any questions. Here is a ******screens
hot****** of the page you should see:""

Below, the link with the invitation.

Is it a bit strange?

https://training.proz.com/chatgpt?utm_campaign=Training%202021&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=251060905&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--E0MN7xtYSn3zWGUdczrY5drf0iM3iFZnSkghHij3W7ZxaDRF6RC79nrHqNnQOkIj6s0VYvheJeH-HfYlsFe4Iewekew&utm_content=251060905&utm_source=hs_email
Collapse

Hayley Wakenshaw
Hayley Wakenshaw  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2018)
Dutch to English
No CC needed Mar 21, 2023

Just select 'Proz.com wallet' as the payment method. Because it is free, you won't be charged. None of the other payment options will work anyway.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Noura Tawil
Helen Shepelenko
Jorge Payan

Ana Vozone
Ana Vozone  Identity Verified
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Mar 21, 2023

Hayley Wakenshaw wrote:

Just select 'Proz.com wallet' as the payment method. Because it is free, you won't be charged. None of the other payment options will work anyway.

Esther Dodo

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:46
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
No, it doesn't -- see the instructions Mar 21, 2023

Ana Vozone wrote:

The instructions say:
The course is free to attend but you need to follow the "payment" steps to sign up. That said, click on the button below, and then choose your ProZ.com Wallet as a payment method and follow the steps.

So, when you get to the screen where you select the payment method, don't fill in your credit card information, but select the last payment option on the form, named "ProZ.com Wallet".

Yes, and it uses the words "that said" in a weird, non-native kind of way. Normally, in that position in a sentence, "that said" means "even so" or "by contrast", but the author had meant it as "therefore".

Ana Vozone
Victoria Britten
Esther Dodo
Jorge Payan

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Mar 21, 2023

So I thought I might sign up but it just says "March 2023", no specific date, no time, so when it it?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Kay Mar 21, 2023

Kay Denney wrote:
So I thought I might sign up but it just says "March 2023", no specific date, no time, so when it it?

Yes, the window title (i.e. the TITLE tag) says just "March 2023", but if you scroll down on the page, on the second screen, near the middle of the screen, it says it's 23 March 2023 at 1 PM GMT. I can't copy it, because they've put the date and time in an image instead of text. There is just so much wrong with this page and the designer of it.

Victoria Britten
Jorge Payan

Victoria Britten
Victoria Britten  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
And what about the subject? Mar 21, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:
There is just so much wrong with this page and the designer of it.

Does the subject of the webinar itself not raise any questions? ProZ is supposed to be a place for professional translators, not for more-or-less "bilingual" individuals looking for a way to make money.

Diego Lopez
Nikolay Novitskiy
dkfmmuc

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
here is ... Mar 21, 2023

a screens hot???? The least they could have done is divided the word correctly.

Tom in London
Nikolay Novitskiy

Nikolay Novitskiy
Nikolay Novitskiy  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:46
Member (2018)
English to Russian
Free Mar 22, 2023

It's a marvellous time we live in! War is peace, slavery is freedom, free is $300

[Edited at 2023-03-22 14:10 GMT]

dkfmmuc
Arabic & More

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Helen Shepelenko[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Free" webinar requiring one's credit card information?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »