Thread poster: Pamela Brizzola
Pamela Brizzola
Pamela Brizzola
Italy
Local time: 19:48
English to Italian
+ ...
Feb 11, 2005

I've used Trados with no problems this afternoon. Everything was working.
Then I decided to remove Trados version 5 which I already had in my PC.
After that, I opened TW 6.5 and I could not open my previous TMs, neither can I create new ones since the only languages available are 10, among which Czech, etc.
An error message says that I cannot open my TM because they are in languages which were not selected during installatin, but that is not true.
Of course, I reboot the
... See more
I've used Trados with no problems this afternoon. Everything was working.
Then I decided to remove Trados version 5 which I already had in my PC.
After that, I opened TW 6.5 and I could not open my previous TMs, neither can I create new ones since the only languages available are 10, among which Czech, etc.
An error message says that I cannot open my TM because they are in languages which were not selected during installatin, but that is not true.
Of course, I reboot the PC, but the situation still remain.
Can you think of a solution?
Thanks
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Register software - repair installation Feb 11, 2005

Hi Pamela,
The first thing to try is to register 6.5 (Start - Programs - Trados 6.5 FL - Register Trados 6.5 FL).

If that doesn't help, try using the Repair Installation option that's available in the installation dialogue.

HTH, Ralf

Pamela Brizzola
Pamela Brizzola
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It does not work Feb 13, 2005

Dear Ralf
I followed your instructions, but the problem is still there.
Moreover, now it says that I need a licence or dongle.

I think I need to disinstall and reinstall it.

Thanks for your help.

Pamela

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Dongle driver? Feb 13, 2005

Hi Pamela,
Before you re-install completely (which shouldn't be a problem), you may want to try re-installing the dongle driver. See this article from the Trados KB.

Best regards,
Ralf

Pamela Brizzola
Pamela Brizzola
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Softkey Feb 13, 2005

Dear Ralf
what are you doing here on Sunday?

I'm using a softkey not a dongle.
I reinstalled the software and now it works.

So, everything's fine now, but the doubt still remains about why the mess occurred.

Who knows?

Have a nice Sunday.

Pamela

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Same problem - solved by uninstalling/reinstalling Aug 15, 2006

I just had exactly the same problem:

Finally got round to uninstalling Trados 5, and when I then launched Trados 7 (which I've been using for almost a year) it had "lost" all dictionaries except for Bulgarian, Catalan, Czech, various German... which I'm pretty sure I did not install with Trados 7!
And got the error message about languages missing when trying to open my TMs.

Repair installation did not work, nor could I find a way to just reinstall the dictionaries
... See more
I just had exactly the same problem:

Finally got round to uninstalling Trados 5, and when I then launched Trados 7 (which I've been using for almost a year) it had "lost" all dictionaries except for Bulgarian, Catalan, Czech, various German... which I'm pretty sure I did not install with Trados 7!
And got the error message about languages missing when trying to open my TMs.

Repair installation did not work, nor could I find a way to just reinstall the dictionaries

I removed Trados 7, then re-installed from scratch and now all is OK.

My guess as to the reason behind this problem is that dictionaries are possibily located in a generic Trados folder in /Documents and settings/ rather than in the Trados 7 program folder, so they got deleted when I uninstalled Trados 5. bulgaria, Catalan, Czech might have been installed automatically with Multiterm, stored in the same folder and not removed by the Trados 5 uninstall routine as they were not part of the Trados installation.
But that's just a guess.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 6.5: selected languages disappeared

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »