Waleed Mohamed
Waleed Mohamed  Identity Verified
United Arab Emirates
Local time: 09:24
English to Arabic
+ ...
Oct 25, 2005

Hello Colleagues,

I use Trados TagEditor 6.5. with Windows 98 and Office 2000.
I have encoding problem. I translate from English into Arabic (Right-to-left language). The Arabic characters appear as question marks. When I go to the “Encoding” option in the “View” menu, I find it inactive, thus I cannot use it.
My questions are:
1- How to make these questions marks disappear and restore the normal Arabic characters?
2- Why the Encoding option is not
... See more
Hello Colleagues,

I use Trados TagEditor 6.5. with Windows 98 and Office 2000.
I have encoding problem. I translate from English into Arabic (Right-to-left language). The Arabic characters appear as question marks. When I go to the “Encoding” option in the “View” menu, I find it inactive, thus I cannot use it.
My questions are:
1- How to make these questions marks disappear and restore the normal Arabic characters?
2- Why the Encoding option is not active.
3- If I fail to solve this problem, how can I save/restore my file/work so that I don’t lose the work I have done? I mean is there any way to restore my work?

Thank you very much for your help!

Waleed
Collapse

Mara Lazcano
Mara Lazcano  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:24
English to Spanish
Correct language settings in Workbench, Tag Editor and in your computer's "Input locales" ? Oct 25, 2005

I haven't dealt with Arabic texts in Tag Editor, but I have found that problems with Trados and other non-Latin based languages are often solved by double checking that the language you're working with is included in the "Installed Input Locales" (in Control Panel > Regional Settings)list.

As to the dissappearance of functionalities in Tag Editor, it might happen if the language combination of Workbench and Tag Editor don't match (including regional variants) or Tag Editor is not co
... See more
I haven't dealt with Arabic texts in Tag Editor, but I have found that problems with Trados and other non-Latin based languages are often solved by double checking that the language you're working with is included in the "Installed Input Locales" (in Control Panel > Regional Settings)list.

As to the dissappearance of functionalities in Tag Editor, it might happen if the language combination of Workbench and Tag Editor don't match (including regional variants) or Tag Editor is not connected to Workbench.

I hope that helps a little!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Encoding problem with TagEditor

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »