achisholm
achisholm
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:53
Italian to English
+ ...
Oct 31, 2005

Hello,

My laptop was left on accidentally and the battery ran completely flat. Unfortunately, Trados was running with a TM open.

Now when I try to reopen that particular TM, I get a message saying it cannot get a lock, probably opened exclusively eslewhere.

I seem to remember there were a number of ways to extract the data from a corrupted TM etc. and import it into a new TM, and I have searched the forums for this but cannot find any refs. Can anyone help?
... See more
Hello,

My laptop was left on accidentally and the battery ran completely flat. Unfortunately, Trados was running with a TM open.

Now when I try to reopen that particular TM, I get a message saying it cannot get a lock, probably opened exclusively eslewhere.

I seem to remember there were a number of ways to extract the data from a corrupted TM etc. and import it into a new TM, and I have searched the forums for this but cannot find any refs. Can anyone help?

I am using Trados 6.5 on a Win XP home machine.
Collapse

Ulrich Roos (X)
Ulrich Roos (X)
Local time: 11:53
German
Use your uncleaned files to rebuild your TM Oct 31, 2005

Hello Alexander,

when you open a corrupt TM Translator's Workbench may come up with a message saying that your TM is corrupt and that you can do an emergency export.

From your posting I read that this message is not displayed, but that you cannot even open your TM, right?
I'm very sorry but in this case I don't see any chance to export from your corrupt TM. If the TM doesn't open at all, then there is no way to export from it....
See more
Hello Alexander,

when you open a corrupt TM Translator's Workbench may come up with a message saying that your TM is corrupt and that you can do an emergency export.

From your posting I read that this message is not displayed, but that you cannot even open your TM, right?
I'm very sorry but in this case I don't see any chance to export from your corrupt TM. If the TM doesn't open at all, then there is no way to export from it.

Instead you may want to use the following method to rebuild your TM. As a prerequisite you need the translated but _uncleaned_ versions of your documents. I keep my fingers crossed that you saved them.

First you create a new TM.
Second you do a clean-up with the option "Update TM" activated. Then Translator's Workbench reads the sentence pairs from your documents and stores them in the TM.

Good luck!

Ulrich
Collapse

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
English to Danish
Sorry to hear it! Oct 31, 2005

I once had this problem with an earlier version of Trados, and I reinstalled Trados, which actually did the trick for some reason.
Whether this will help you, I don't know.

I don't remember - what are you allowed to do as a visitor (i.e. when you cannot get exclusive access to the database)?
Can you by any chance export anything? Then obviously this would preferable, but I believe you have already checked a zillion times.

Otherwise, I guess Ulrich is right -
... See more
I once had this problem with an earlier version of Trados, and I reinstalled Trados, which actually did the trick for some reason.
Whether this will help you, I don't know.

I don't remember - what are you allowed to do as a visitor (i.e. when you cannot get exclusive access to the database)?
Can you by any chance export anything? Then obviously this would preferable, but I believe you have already checked a zillion times.

Otherwise, I guess Ulrich is right - you have to recreate the entire TM.

Good luck.
Collapse

Ulrich Roos (X)
Ulrich Roos (X)
German
No export as visitor Oct 31, 2005

PCovs wrote:
Can you by any chance export anything?

Hi,

as a visitor or guest you are not allowed to export. Exporting and importing always requires exclusive access to the database and a visitor never has that access right.

Kind regards,

Ulrich

achisholm
achisholm
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:53
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
After the third reboot .... Oct 31, 2005

... the TM opened automatically!!!

Wierd.

Thanks to all for help and comments.

Sandy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot get lock on TM

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »