Why won't Translators Workbench clean up a bak file?
Thread poster: david angel (X)
david angel (X)
david angel (X)
Local time: 11:13
French to English
+ ...
Jan 4, 2006

Hi. I am pretty new to Trados 6.5 so I'm still learning the ropes. Normally, Trados Workbench makes a back-up copy which you then use as the document to clean up, right? My Workbench is refusing to clean up BAK files. I've circumnavigated the problem by telling it not to keep a back up copy, but does anybody know how to solve this, rather than get round it? I would be grateful.
Best Wishes, David Angel.

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 12:13
German to English
+ ...
I'm not quite sure I understand your problem... Jan 4, 2006

When you work with Trados to translate a Word file you open Translators Workbench and also open the file to be translated in Word, using Word as your "Editor". Once your translation is complete, you then save the file in Word at the desired location as a .doc file. Then you go into Trados and clean up the .doc file.

Trados only creates .bak files as bilingual reference (back-up) files after it has cleaned up the Word file.

If you really want to clean a .bak file, then
... See more
When you work with Trados to translate a Word file you open Translators Workbench and also open the file to be translated in Word, using Word as your "Editor". Once your translation is complete, you then save the file in Word at the desired location as a .doc file. Then you go into Trados and clean up the .doc file.

Trados only creates .bak files as bilingual reference (back-up) files after it has cleaned up the Word file.

If you really want to clean a .bak file, then save it as a .doc file and clean it up.

Or am I not understanding your problem properly?

Best,

Alison

[Edited at 2006-01-04 18:25]
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
save the same file under two names Jan 4, 2006

If you're using Trados with Word: translate the Word file (say xxx.doc or xxx.rtf), save it a first time, then save it a second time after renaming it (with the suffix "_cleaned" for instance). Close the file and clean the xxx_cleaned file.
This way you have two files, the bilingual xxx file and the target xxx_cleaned file. Is that what you're after?
The .bak file created during clean-up is indeed a backup bilingual file as mentioned by Alison. You can also open it in Word, but unle
... See more
If you're using Trados with Word: translate the Word file (say xxx.doc or xxx.rtf), save it a first time, then save it a second time after renaming it (with the suffix "_cleaned" for instance). Close the file and clean the xxx_cleaned file.
This way you have two files, the bilingual xxx file and the target xxx_cleaned file. Is that what you're after?
The .bak file created during clean-up is indeed a backup bilingual file as mentioned by Alison. You can also open it in Word, but unless you associate the .bak extension to Winword.exe, it won't open just double-clicking it in a Windows Explorer window. You have to right-click it, choose Open with and select Word.
These steps are not required in TagEditor, the bilingual .ttx/.bif file remains untouched even after clean-up.
Happy tradossing,
Philippe
Collapse

Dusica Cook
Dusica Cook
Bosnia and Herzegovina
English to Bosnian
+ ...
just a try! Jan 4, 2006

i was learning trados a week ago, so i am not sure if i will be of any help, but...

word needs to be open, but the document must be closed when you do the 'clean up' through the workbench. maybe this helps! i know that it is probably a stupid remark, but when i did my second document using trados, i was not able to get the clean up and then i went through my instructions again!

if you wish, i will be happy to forward the instructions i got from another proz colleague!... See more
i was learning trados a week ago, so i am not sure if i will be of any help, but...

word needs to be open, but the document must be closed when you do the 'clean up' through the workbench. maybe this helps! i know that it is probably a stupid remark, but when i did my second document using trados, i was not able to get the clean up and then i went through my instructions again!

if you wish, i will be happy to forward the instructions i got from another proz colleague!

regards, d.
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
rename the .bak (backup) file Jan 4, 2006

david angel wrote:

Hi. I am pretty new to Trados 6.5 so I'm still learning the ropes. Normally, Trados Workbench makes a back-up copy which you then use as the document to clean up, right? My Workbench is refusing to clean up BAK files. I've circumnavigated the problem by telling it not to keep a back up copy, but does anybody know how to solve this, rather than get round it? I would be grateful.
Best Wishes, David Angel.
either as .doc or .rtf, then cleaning should be possible. Brandis

david angel (X)
david angel (X)
Local time: 11:13
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks. Jan 4, 2006

Many many thanks for all your help, especially since the answer really is so obvious that I feel quite a fool. Best Wishes to everybody. David.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why won't Translators Workbench clean up a bak file?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »