Carole Paquis  Identity Verified
Wielka Brytania
Local time: 07:17
Członek ProZ.com
od 2007

angielski > francuski
Jan 27, 2006

Hello,

I don't use any CAT tools. However a translation agency has asked me if I could work with segments, and an exported glossary...I have never done it and I wonder what to reply. What do Trados users think of that ? (technicalities of the job, price?...)
Thank you

Vauwe
Vauwe
angielski > niemiecki
+ ...
More work Jan 27, 2006

As far as I understand your problem you will get the TM probably as txt file and you have to search for matches in this file, paste & copy the matches into your text and sometimes need to reformat the text.
It's not impossible but to me it sounds very time comsuming. You have to do (search, paste, copy) what Trados would do for you.
Do you know the original file format? Tagged texts probably need more reformatting afterwards.

Ana Cuesta
Ana Cuesta  Identity Verified
Hiszpania
angielski > hiszpański
Possible it is Jan 27, 2006

I am assuming they will be sending you a Trados-segmented file to work on. When you open such a file in Word with the option to make hidden text visible enabled, the text looks something like this (sorry, symbols don't show ok):

[An opening {O> symbol] Once upon a time [a similar joining symbol] Once upon a time [a similar closing symbol]

You have to type your translation in the second half of the segment while keeping all opening, joining and closing symbols untouched
... See more
I am assuming they will be sending you a Trados-segmented file to work on. When you open such a file in Word with the option to make hidden text visible enabled, the text looks something like this (sorry, symbols don't show ok):

[An opening {O> symbol] Once upon a time [a similar joining symbol] Once upon a time [a similar closing symbol]

You have to type your translation in the second half of the segment while keeping all opening, joining and closing symbols untouched (this is most important so the agency can later process your file to feed it to their memory, get a clean translation, etc.) so your translated file will look like this:

[An opening {O> symbol] Once upon a time [a similar joining symbol] Érase una vez [a similar closing symbol]

A bit cumbersome but definitely possible (I know because I did it when I started out)

[Edited at 2006-01-27 12:44]

[Edited at 2006-01-27 12:45]

[Edited at 2006-01-27 12:46]

[Edited at 2006-01-27 12:47]
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finlandia
Local time: 08:17
Członek ProZ.com
od 2003

fiński > niemiecki
+ ...
You could use a table Jan 27, 2006

Put each source segment in one column and write the translation into the other. After saving as txt you could possibly arrive at something that could be used as a TM. The glossary you can use for reference.
When you look at the file structure of a Wordfast txt-TM there is nothing else than columns in a table. The table can be importet into Trados.
But why not at least getting Wordfast for the job? It would make everything easy and is compatible to Trados and other TETs (Translation E
... See more
Put each source segment in one column and write the translation into the other. After saving as txt you could possibly arrive at something that could be used as a TM. The glossary you can use for reference.
When you look at the file structure of a Wordfast txt-TM there is nothing else than columns in a table. The table can be importet into Trados.
But why not at least getting Wordfast for the job? It would make everything easy and is compatible to Trados and other TETs (Translation Environment Tools).
Regards
Heinrich
Collapse

Carole Paquis
Carole Paquis  Identity Verified
Wielka Brytania
Członek ProZ.com
od 2007

angielski > francuski
NOWY TEMAT
good idea Jan 27, 2006

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

But why not at least getting Wordfast for the job? It would make everything easy and is compatible to Trados and other TETs (Translation Environment Tools).
Regards
Heinrich

That is a good idea. I shall investigate this too!

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turcja
Local time: 08:17
angielski > turecki
+ ...
a free tool Jan 27, 2006

You may also use Olifant, a free tool by Enlaso, if the file is a small one without many codes, tags, etc.

Vauwe wrote:

It's not impossible but to me it sounds very time comsuming.

It is always possible to use other tools, you may even use the simple notepad or any other text editor, e.g. editplus. Or 30 days demo version of SDLX, DejaVu, or another free tool OmegaT (now supporting sentence level segmentation I suppose).

But all those tools may require extra work for you. Here, the size of the file and number of segments are the important points you should consider.

HTH

Selcuk Akyuz

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Work with segments without Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »