Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Németország
Local time: 03:04
Tag (2002 óta)
német - angol
+ ...
Feb 8, 2006

I decided this morning that I wanted to rename a Trados TM, because I had accidentally given it the wrong name last time. I clicked the opposite mouse button, selected the option to rename, and typed in the new name that I wanted it to have. I have done that many times with individual Word files without problem. However, after I changed the name of the Trados TM, Trados refused to open it any more, so I have lost it and need to start recreating the TM again, under a new name, using WinAlign. ... See more
I decided this morning that I wanted to rename a Trados TM, because I had accidentally given it the wrong name last time. I clicked the opposite mouse button, selected the option to rename, and typed in the new name that I wanted it to have. I have done that many times with individual Word files without problem. However, after I changed the name of the Trados TM, Trados refused to open it any more, so I have lost it and need to start recreating the TM again, under a new name, using WinAlign. Is there a correct way to rename a Trados TM, to avoid this happening?

Thanks for any info.

Astrid
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Németország
Tag (2003 óta)
lengyel - német
+ ...
Simply rename all files you find in the TM-folder Feb 8, 2006

There are five TM files and perhaps a log file too.
You just need to rename all of them. Their names must be exactly the same, but you must keep the different extensions.

HTH
Jerzy

Ronnie Halpern
Ronnie Halpern  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:04
francia - angol
+ ...
Back up the TM with File Export Feb 8, 2006

Jerzy is right, but I would also recommend that you back up your TM by regularly exporting it. It should take seconds but could save your hours if your TM becomes corrupted for any reason, and of course if you have an export file you can always create a new TM with any name you want and then import the exported text file into the new TM.

HTH,

Ronnie

pcovs
pcovs
Dánia
angol - dán
Exactly! Rename all 5 files. Feb 8, 2006

I have tried this also.
Fortunately, it's easily remedied; just rename all the 5 files belonging to this memory, and Bob's your uncle. ;D

Nicolas Coyer (X)
Nicolas Coyer (X)  Identity Verified
Kolumbia
Local time: 20:04
spanyol - francia
+ ...
Export and rename Feb 8, 2006

You can also export your memory, create a new memory with a new name and import your export file back into it.
I always feel uncomfortable renaming TRADOS's binary files...
I've had cases where the files became corrupted just by moving the files from one point to another instead of copying.

[Edited at 2006-02-08 20:18]

María Teresa Taylor Oliver
María Teresa Taylor Oliver  Identity Verified
Panama
Local time: 20:04
spanyol - angol
+ ...
Sensible solution Feb 8, 2006

nico95 wrote:

You can also export your memory, create a new memory with a new name and import your export file back into it.

I think this is the most sensible solution. And when you import your exported .txt file into the new memory with the new name, you can choose the Import Mode option that says "Large import file (with reorganisation)", so that it's nicely reorganized, rechecked and everything. That way, you prevent it from getting corrupted.

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Németország
Tag (2002 óta)
német - angol
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
Thanks a lot for all the suggestions! Feb 8, 2006

I think that, from now on, I will have no excuse not to be able to rename a TM without any problem.

Astrid

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a way to rename a Trados TM?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »