Can SDL Trados 2006 and Trados 6.5.5 cohabit?
Thread poster: sandhya
sandhya
sandhya  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:40
German to English
+ ...
Jun 17, 2006

Hi,

At present I use Trados 6.5.5 and MS Office 2000 under Windows 2000.

I recently bought SDL Trados 2006, but have yet to install it.

Now, a client would like me to work with SDL 2006 and says the memory is not compatible with back versions of Trados (as stated in the Getting Started Guide).

My question to fellow prozians: Has anybody installed SDL Trados 2006 with an already existing Trados 6.5.5. I believe they can "live together happily ev
... See more
Hi,

At present I use Trados 6.5.5 and MS Office 2000 under Windows 2000.

I recently bought SDL Trados 2006, but have yet to install it.

Now, a client would like me to work with SDL 2006 and says the memory is not compatible with back versions of Trados (as stated in the Getting Started Guide).

My question to fellow prozians: Has anybody installed SDL Trados 2006 with an already existing Trados 6.5.5. I believe they can "live together happily every after" as claimed by the user guide. Is this true?
Or are there hidden incompatibilities and conflicts that only living under the same roof will reveal?

Any info on this would be very welcome.

TIA
cheers
Sandhya

[Edited at 2006-06-17 01:55]
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 20:10
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
my 2c on compatibility issue... Jun 17, 2006

I think trados 7.x can coexist with the old versions, but MultiTerm 7.x does not. And you can't have two multiterm versions on your machine.

What I did on switching is I took some time off. Eventually it did not take me more that few hours to forget the older version - it was 6.5, as in your case.

We always see the transition barrier in front of us, and forget what the upgrade brings.

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Multiterm 7 does not seem to work with WorkBench Jun 17, 2006

I made the mistake of installing MT7 (or iX). It offers no advantage at all for working with WB by design.

Moreover Term Recognition works very erratically with MTiX, with all kind of erros, and it is capable to slow down my translation speed of about 50%.

Errors range from not displaying terms in the TR window, to freezing and closing WB, to displaying terms only in one language and refusing to respond to shortcuts etc. etc. etc.

Also its import export fe
... See more
I made the mistake of installing MT7 (or iX). It offers no advantage at all for working with WB by design.

Moreover Term Recognition works very erratically with MTiX, with all kind of erros, and it is capable to slow down my translation speed of about 50%.

Errors range from not displaying terms in the TR window, to freezing and closing WB, to displaying terms only in one language and refusing to respond to shortcuts etc. etc. etc.

Also its import export features are incredibly complicated and SLOW. I have waited 20 minutes (conversion) +10 minutes (importing) for a 3000 words excel glossary that I could have imported in MT5 in 200 seconds (via a macro in Word).

Also, looking at the setup wizard, it seems impossible to go back from MT7 to MT5 without putting at risk the installation and setup of Trados 7. Now without Trados 7 I am just dead. So I am left with trowing Trados in the Bin and working directly with excel (30% slower that MT5 for this project).

SDL Trados assistance has been silent for about 2 weeks.

I am amazed that nobody else is screaming about this. Am I the only person that fell in this trap?

Luca

Vito Smolej wrote:
I think trados 7.x can coexist with the old versions, but MultiTerm 7.x does not. And you can't have two multiterm versions on your machine.

[Edited at 2006-06-17 22:56]
Collapse

ponscha
ponscha
Local time: 20:10
English
+ ...
Who knows it?? Aug 29, 2006

Hi everyone,

could anyone tell me which version of trados is the best???
I am going to buy one next week and I have no idea. What about Trados 6.5 Freelance?? And what´s USL Trados 6000?? Are they two differents trados??
Thank you very much.

Karla

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can SDL Trados 2006 and Trados 6.5.5 cohabit?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »