How does .html translation with TRADOS really work?
Autor wątku: xyyyxyx (X)
xyyyxyx (X)
xyyyxyx (X)
Local time: 22:45
angielski > hiszpański
+ ...
Jul 4, 2006

Hello everyone,

I've been using TRADOS for a bit, and though I can find my way around it and translate .html files... I am face now with a possible client who has no idea about TRADOS, and I am not a programmer myself. So, how does it work? What is the client supposed to send me, if anything at all in order to get started? And after I've done my work, how do they put their bilingual sites together? Could anyone please help me out? Any explanation on this "behind the scenes" with .ht
... See more
Hello everyone,

I've been using TRADOS for a bit, and though I can find my way around it and translate .html files... I am face now with a possible client who has no idea about TRADOS, and I am not a programmer myself. So, how does it work? What is the client supposed to send me, if anything at all in order to get started? And after I've done my work, how do they put their bilingual sites together? Could anyone please help me out? Any explanation on this "behind the scenes" with .html files would be more than appreciated.

Salud!
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finlandia
Local time: 04:45
Członek ProZ.com
od 2003

fiński > niemiecki
+ ...
just the html-files Jul 4, 2006

Your customer must send you all the active files they have in their folder. The workflow is described in the FileFormatsRef-En.pdf of your installation (Program files > SDL International > T2006-FL > Doc > English).
Regards
Heinrich

Karolina Ojrzynska-Stasiak
Karolina Ojrzynska-Stasiak  Identity Verified
Polska
Local time: 03:45
Członek ProZ.com
angielski > polski
+ ...
If it is a website translation... Jul 4, 2006

... all you need is the www address. You can then simply open the main page (and then all the sub-pages which are meant for translation), use the "Save as" option in the File directory. You will get the html files saved on your HDD.

Then use the Tag editor for translation, save the files as target, when you are finished. You will get the html files in target language, ready to send to the client. Some additional translation of words not in html format might be necessary (graphics).

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Niemcy
angielski > niemiecki
+ ...
Manual? Jul 4, 2006

I am face now with a possible client who has no idea about TRADOS, and I am not a programmer myself. So, how does it work? What is the client supposed to send me, if anything at all in order to get started?

Well, like any client, he has to send you the files that you need for translation. If they have no clue what they want to translate then you can't help them with this.

Besides, Heinrich made a good point: have a look at the Trados manual. I remember that there was a demo video for TagEditor on the translationzone site some time ago. However, they did not use HTML but a Word document to show the workflow.

And after I've done my work, how do they put their bilingual sites together?

This should be your client's concern, not yours. Honestly, a client should be aware of the technical issues involved with creating a multilingual site. Did they actually ask you how they are supposed to put the pages together? And did you tell them that you are a translator and not a programmer or webdesigner?

I wouldn't just assume that you can download all the necessary files from their website. First of all, they may not be using static HTML pages, but dynamic ones which are generated "on the fly", i.e. they are somewhere inside a database and are generated when you call the site. But even if they do have static HTML pages, you still may not be able "to see" all files that you need for translation. It is best to have your client decide which ones are necessary and which are not.

I don't use Trados, but I assume the workflow is the same as with any other CAT tool: you open the files in Trados TagEditor, translate them and send your client the translated (not bilingual ttx) files, just as you would do with a Word or Excel document.

Sonja

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
niemiecki
+ ...
Some thoughts... Jul 4, 2006

Karolina Ojrzynska-Stasiak wrote:

... all you need is the www address. You can then simply open the main page (and then all the sub-pages which are meant for translation), use the "Save as" option in the File directory. You will get the html files saved on your HDD.

Then use the Tag editor for translation, save the files as target, when you are finished. You will get the html files in target language, ready to send to the client. Some additional translation of words not in html format might be necessary (graphics).

Yes, I guess you can do that...if you have lots of free time on your hand to pick the source files for translation together AND you don't mind bearing the responsibility for missing half of the pages during your manual collection.

What if there's a link on a page that is hard to see and behind it a further 25 pages containing thousands of words? If you miss that link, you're going to have some explaining to do afterwards.

So, why put yourself in that position? Just ask the client to give you all the HTML files they need translated - it's not your duty to chase after the source materials, anyway, it's the client's duty to provide them.

By the way: Mind you, not all Web pages are prepared in the same way - some rely heavily on Shockwave Flash (SWF) for text display, others use Java or JavaScript to put text on screen - most of which cannot be easily translated using Trados. Still others might not use HTML files at all, but instead generate the pages dynamically, e.g. using PHP and mySQL or Perl or Microsoft ASP.

So, always be prepared for the unexpected when a client asks you to translate a Web site.

HTH,
Benjamin

P.S.: Yes I know there are Web spiders that automate the collecting of pages, such as HTTrack. But even those aren't flawless and I still ask the client to SEND ME THE FILES even when I've prepared a preliminary quote from files retrieved via HTTrack. Otherwise, I tell the client it's their risk if I miss something.

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
angielski > polski
+ ...
Just remember the page can be a dynamic one Jul 4, 2006

Then you have no way to collect everything (ex it can display different text based on user location or browsing history).

The only way is to ask the client for complete source. If he is not a developer of his site, ask for developer's details or have the client accept that there may be untranslated content.

xyyyxyx (X)
xyyyxyx (X)
angielski > hiszpański
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Very helpful - Thanks Jul 5, 2006

Hello to you all, again:

Thank you very much for all of your insights.

My possible client is a fairly new, small company. I did remind them that I am a translator, and not a web programmer.

Their lack of knowledge on how bilingual sites work, made me doubt myself; and I ended up thinking I was not all that trained to translate .html files.

You've made it a lot clearer now, and I actually don't feel that bad about myself!

Thank you
... See more
Hello to you all, again:

Thank you very much for all of your insights.

My possible client is a fairly new, small company. I did remind them that I am a translator, and not a web programmer.

Their lack of knowledge on how bilingual sites work, made me doubt myself; and I ended up thinking I was not all that trained to translate .html files.

You've made it a lot clearer now, and I actually don't feel that bad about myself!

Thank you very much for your help.

Salud!
Collapse

xyyyxyx (X)
xyyyxyx (X)
angielski > hiszpański
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Dynamic pages & Trados Jul 15, 2006

Benjamin wrote:
"Still others might not use HTML files at all, but instead generate the pages dynamically, e.g. using PHP and mySQL or Perl or Microsoft ASP."

Hello, Benjamin et al (again)

So... what? Dynamic pages cannot be translated by using TRADOS?

Where could I learn more about this?

Thanks in advance!

Jimena.

[Edited at 2006-07-15 03:08]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Niemcy
angielski > niemiecki
+ ...
Depends on the data format Jul 15, 2006

Hi again,

So... what? Dynamic pages cannot be translated by using TRADOS?

They can, but it depends on the structure and format of the data. Very often, dynamic pages are controlled through a content management system (CMS), in which case you will need to get an export of that data - depending on the CMS, this export may well be HTML. The issue is that the page as you see it displayed does not necessarily exist in that form, but is the result of merging text, graphics and other items from numerous source files.

Best regards,
Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How does .html translation with TRADOS really work?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »