“Liar, liar! Pants on fire!” Who can afford to tell the truth about translation quality
论题张贴者: Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
美国
Local time: 14:46
Spanish西班牙语译成English英语
+ ...
Jan 30, 2013

http://translationbiz.wordpress.com/2013/01/27/liar-liar-pants-on-fire-who-can-afford-to-tell-the-truth-about-translation-quality-and-who-cant/

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
美国
English英语译成French法语
+ ...
Hah! Jan 30, 2013

After over 30 years in this business and industry, as a staff translator and a free-lancer, BOTH in Europe and in the USA, let me share a few facts:

The post referred to, unsurprisingly, offers no solution about the downward spiral of price it mentions.

Buyers of translations in the USA care no more about quality now than they did when I started in the profession in 1980. In Europe, OTOH, where people know quite a bit more about interacting with people speaking a differ
... See more
After over 30 years in this business and industry, as a staff translator and a free-lancer, BOTH in Europe and in the USA, let me share a few facts:

The post referred to, unsurprisingly, offers no solution about the downward spiral of price it mentions.

Buyers of translations in the USA care no more about quality now than they did when I started in the profession in 1980. In Europe, OTOH, where people know quite a bit more about interacting with people speaking a different language, the opposite is true.

The analogy with used cars falls short, because buyers of translation (certainly most of those in the US) don't care about the translation "leaving them stranded," since they are not personnallyh involved anyway.

A final thought: someone got a Nobel prize for THAT?
Collapse

PaulEdgar
PaulEdgar
新西兰
Local time: 06:46
Russian俄语译成English英语
Telling the truth about "quality" Jan 31, 2013

Hi Jeff,

You are certainly right when you say 'The analogy with used cars falls short, because buyers of translation (certainly most of those in the US) don't care about the translation "leaving them stranded,"'. Of course, the article acknowledges that the analogy falls short:

"Translations are not cars, and the analogy with the second-hand car market can only be taken so far."

Translation buyers, on average, have
... See more
Hi Jeff,

You are certainly right when you say 'The analogy with used cars falls short, because buyers of translation (certainly most of those in the US) don't care about the translation "leaving them stranded,"'. Of course, the article acknowledges that the analogy falls short:

"Translations are not cars, and the analogy with the second-hand car market can only be taken so far."

Translation buyers, on average, have little awareness that a poor translation may "leave them stranded" as you put it. "Quality" (at least, in terms, that we translators frequently tend to think about it,) just does not sell.

Having stated the problem, the article foreshadows some different ways of thinking about what is important to buyers, and how smart translators might leverage off alternative ways of looking at the problem.

The problem is a complex one, and so developing good solutions is not easy. The sequel to this article promises to explore some alternative ways of looking at the question. They may not qualify for a Nobel Prize, but the search for new ideas is worth the effort, I think.

I'll be interested in hearing your reaction to the next episode!

Cheers
Paul Sulzberger
Nice to know that you started translating in 1980 - same year as me!
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
美国
Spanish西班牙语译成English英语
+ ...
主题发起人
Correction Jan 31, 2013

Hi Paul,

Just a quick correction. That quote was made by "JL01" and not by me.

PaulEdgar wrote:

Hi Jeff,

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
美国
English英语译成French法语
+ ...
Yup! Jan 31, 2013

[quote]Jeff Whittaker wrote:

Hi Paul,

Just a quick correction. That quote was made by "JL01" and not by me.

[quote]PaulEdgar wrote:

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
波斯尼亚黑塞哥维纳
Local time: 20:46
正式会员 (自2009)
English英语译成Croatian克罗地亚语
+ ...
Yes... Jan 31, 2013

JL01 wrote:

Do you know what the monetary award is for a Nobel Prize winner? US$1.2 million. Given that, I would say that this gentleman is "signalling" very well, his business seems to be very successful.

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
英国
Local time: 19:46
Swedish瑞典语译成English英语
+ ...
Nope Jan 31, 2013

JL01 wrote:

Since there is no such thing as a Nobel prize in economics, the answer is no.

What does exist is "The Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel".

When creating this award, Bank of Sweden and the Swedish parliament somehow forgot to exhume dear old Alfred to ask him what he thought about the idea.

Jean-Pierre Artigau (X)
Jean-Pierre Artigau (X)
加拿大
English英语译成French法语
+ ...
A new market for us Jan 31, 2013

What I see is the possibility of a new market: translation evaluator. Get paid to take time to assess translation samples and tell the client what he doesn't know about the quality of his translators (in case he wants to know).

Jean-Pierre

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

本论坛的版主
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

“Liar, liar! Pants on fire!” Who can afford to tell the truth about translation quality

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »